Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone been signed off sick when pregnant?

(17 Posts)
Dolly80 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:48:09

Just curious at this stage. This is my second pregnancy, currently 30 weeks and baby has been diagnosed with agenesis of the corpus callosum. This has meant extra appts & tests, such as several ultrasounds, an MRI and an amnio thus far.

I had some spotting over the last few days, was seen by midwives and there was nothing to worry about, a usual pregnancy issue. However, I completely broke down at work afterwards, despite all being fine. I think the impact of all the other 'stuff' finally hit me. My boss sent me home and told me not to come back until Monday. She also suggested speaking to my consultant about whether I need to be signed off.

So, how do I approach this conversation with the consultant this afternoon? I feel so bad saying I'm anxious/low due to baby's diagnosis but I know this is true, I'm feeling somewhat detached from it all. I know I might need help but asking for it seems scary. I also wonder whether I warrant being signed off, after all I'm physically ok and work could not be more supportive. That said, bursting into tears in the office probably isn't great and I am probably functioning at 50% as my brain feels too occupied with pregnancy, baby's diagnosis, my older daughter, home and life in general.

Any advice would be great.

LottieDoubtie Thu 28-Jan-16 09:56:01

I was signed off work from week 7-22 (Hypermesis) different situation but if you're not up to working you're not up to working. Talk to the doc about it- they can sign you off as only fit to work 50% of normal hours or similar if that is what you prefer?

Pregnancy sickness doesn't count as 'normal' sickness and it can't be used against you by work so that should be reassuring. Although after a certain point it your mat leave kicks in so worth finding out about when that is.

Dolly80 Thu 28-Jan-16 10:02:03

Thanks Lottie, my mat leave would begin at 36 weeks if I was still off sick at that point. I'd currently planned to start it at 37 + 4 so impact would be minimal. 50% hours was something I hadn't thought about, I might check the work policy about that.

Dixiechick17 Thu 28-Jan-16 11:11:36

I was signed off for two weeks at 25 weeks and then for the remainder of my pregnancy at 32 weeks. Thw first time I asked the consultant to sign me off as I was at risk of pre term labour and wanted to rest. Consultant was more than happy to sign me off, they are more concerned about you and your pregnancy than your place of work. It is of no benefit to them to not sign you off, I would just explain that you have been feeling stressed and would prefer to be off work. Good Luck with everything.

babynumber3eek Thu 28-Jan-16 11:28:55

If your work place have suggested seeking an opinion on whether you should be signed off then I would take that as an indication that they believe this would be the best thing for you to do. Not many work places are that supportive, so top marks to them. It may be that you needing sporadic time off/ your head (very very understandably) being not in the game is actually more inconveniencing that you being signed off.

The main concern though is what is right for YOU! It sounds to me that time off would be a good thing but not if you will be stressed at the prospect if not being at work.

PrimeraVez Thu 28-Jan-16 11:45:07

I'm just finishing a week of doctor ordered bed rest at 35 weeks. I am back in the office next week and all being well, will be until my due date (I'm not in the UK so in a different situation with regards to maternity leave)

For some stupid reason, I felt really guilty about having the week off, even though I had a proper sick certificate from my doctor etc. Is it possible for you to work from home at all? This is what I did - it meant I could have a bit more sleep in the morning, could nap if I wanted, could stay in comfy clothes all day etc, but 'important' pieces of work still got completed.

Dolly80 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:20:06

Thank you all for your advice. I will explain how I'm feeling to the consultant and go from there.

I think it is more inconvenient for work if I'm having 'unplanned' absences, as if I was signed off cover could be arranged. I realise I am very lucky to have a boss who is so supportive (makes a nice change when you read the problems others have wth theirs).

If I don't end up having time off is already thought about suggesting increased working from home and perhaps condensed hours (3-4 longer days and 1-2 off)

JizzyStradlin Thu 28-Jan-16 13:59:49

I understand feeling guilty, but you have to consider the possibility that at 30 weeks, unwell, lots of appointments and not 100% mentally, you're actually more trouble than you're worth in the workplace right now. Don't mean to be rude, I'm not saying women in late pregnancy can't make valuable contributions at work. But don't assume your boss was being entirely altruistic either. They might be thinking it's the best thing for them as well as you!

Dixiechick17 Thu 28-Jan-16 19:35:06

I definitely recommend the shorter hours if they are happy to agree them. My consultant wanted to sign me off for the whole pregnancy from 24 weeks. Between weeks 26 and 32 I did a few weeks of reduces hours with no reduction in pay due to the circumstances.

Dolly80 Thu 28-Jan-16 21:00:24

Well I managed to burst into tears during my appointment today when describing how I felt to the consultant. Both he and his colleague were lovely and completely empathised with how I'm feeling. He strongly advised visiting my GP in the morning and getting signed off.

Thanks for all your advice. Fingers crossed I don't burst into tears at the GP's tomorrow am resigned to the fact that I'm probably going to

Embolio Thu 28-Jan-16 21:10:01

I was signed off for a month (5weeks) with antenatal depression/anxiety. My GP and work were very supportive and as others have said pregnancy related sickness isn't counted like normal sickness absences. Definitely if you feel that you need time off take it and don't feel guilty!

Wishing you all the best smile

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 28-Jan-16 23:37:21

Dd was diagnosed with T18 at 23 weeks and I never went back, kept intending to but we got into long battles for treatment and I remained signed off sick until maternity leave started. Having a baby with a serious issue makes for a difficult pregnancy. Occupational Health insisted I stayed off at one point.
DD died on the 1st jan aged 3 months and I will likely go back in March (have to give 8 weeks notice)

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 28-Jan-16 23:38:25

In short get signed off and don't feel guilty

Dolly80 Fri 29-Jan-16 01:48:24

I'm sorry for your loss thanks Thanks for your advice.

Dolly80 Fri 29-Jan-16 08:05:40

Just to update that I've been to see my GP and he's signed me off until my mat leave will begin. Will be popping to see my boss later to tie up loose ends etc and then I'm off until baby arrives.

I'm going to try and focus on 'bonding' with my bump and trying to find the joy in my pregnancy (in between some tears and wobbles I'd imagine) I'm also going to contact my midwives about any counselling or additional support I can tap into.

Thanks to you all

babynumber3eek Fri 29-Jan-16 08:59:48

Sounds like a good decision. Be kind to yourself! Xx

LottieDoubtie Fri 29-Jan-16 16:30:38

flowers good decision, best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now