Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Car seat advice

(8 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Thu 28-Jan-16 07:39:34

Hi just about the recommendations for newborns regarding time in car seats. I was aware they weren't meant to be in them for very long and have a carrycot for use with my travel system. However the guidelines say they are not meant to be in a car seat for more than 30 minutes at a time and 2 hours when they are bigger. 2 hours is manageable I'm sure but 30 minutes is pretty impossible for us. Our hospital is up to an hours drive away depending on traffic so within a few hours or days of being born our baby will have this journey. Also we have two holidays booked way in advance for when the baby is 3 and 5 months old which involve driving up to 4.5 hours for each one. Obviously we will stop but realistically stopping every 30 minutes is not possible. What are others views on this? Any other time the baby will be only in the car seat for a few minutes at a time so it's only a concern on a handful of occasions.

eurochick Thu 28-Jan-16 08:01:51

For a handful of occasions I wouldn't worry. But do expect that 4.5 hr journey to take a LOT longer.

Heavenscent86 Thu 28-Jan-16 11:05:53

Thank you. I'm definitely expecting the journey to take a lot longer as regardless of car seat safety there's no way we'd get there in one go. Usually we'd have to stop a couple of times just for my older daughter smile

seafoodeatit Thu 28-Jan-16 11:15:54

As far as I'm aware the recommended time limit is there because people tend use to infant car seats with their buggies which counts as an unnecessary amount of time for them to be in one when they should really be in a carry cot for the longer times/days out.

babynumber3eek Thu 28-Jan-16 11:23:32

Like with all advice, common sense needs to prevail. I believe this advice is because of the risk of SIDS due to the position the baby is in and possible breathing issues. If you stop when practical and keep an eye out when not then you'll be fine! Xx

sepa Thu 28-Jan-16 12:19:49

Like others have said the guideline is because people use them in car seats in push chairs. It has been recorded that babies have died due to this (recently in America I believe) because a baby was left to sleep in a car seat when not in the car.
Common sense is key. Check your baby and stop when you can (I would aim for a break every 90 minutes I think)

Heavenscent86 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:43:29

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you've all confirmed pretty much what I was thinking. We will just make plenty of stops which is no different to what we expected to do with a small baby anyway. Just thought if the advice is 30 minutes that's practically impossible to stop as often as that.

Tfoot75 Thu 28-Jan-16 17:24:52

I thought it was 90 minutes, certainly my dd was in car seat on way home from hospital for more than 30. As pp have said the main risk is asphyxiation from hunched up position but would imagine you'll be in the back with them watching them like a hawk on way home from hospital! On your long journeys stopping every 90 mins should be about right - 2 stops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now