Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Naming Ceremonies

(11 Posts)
KLG3101 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:21:00

Today 21:57 KLG3101

We had a humanist wedding ceremony. Neither DH or I are particularly religious and I felt hypocritical getting married in a church. I do believe to a certain extent although I'm not sure what I believe. We have both been Christened and like the idea of having special people (like god parents) in our babies life.

What Are your thoughts on humanist naming ceremonies? I can't decide if I like the idea or of its a waste of time.

Artioo2 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:28:11

We had a naming ceremony for DS. It wasn't humanist, we did it ourselves. We found some readings for friends and family and DP and I said a few words but apart from that it was very informal. It was lovely to have everyone together to mark his arrival. We got everyone to write messages and life advice to DS and put them in an album for him to look at one day. I'm glad we did it.

bigbadbarry Wed 27-Jan-16 23:30:58

We had a humanist naming ceremony for DD3 (and naming ceremonies with a registrar for DDs 1 &2 - did you know registrars do was very lovely indeed. I like the idea of having a special day to welcome a baby, and to appoint them some special adults.

BikeRunSki Wed 27-Jan-16 23:44:18

We had Humanist naming ceremonies for both children. Both were lovely, very personal. We met up with the Humanist celebrants once before the ceremonies.,did a lot of emailing after that!

My dyed in the wool Catholic mum was very sniffy about it, but admitted afterwards that they were very very appropriate and beautifully done.

Sadmother Wed 27-Jan-16 23:49:15

I find them self indulgent and meaningless.

Paperblank Thu 28-Jan-16 07:52:44

KLG

We had a humanist wedding ceremony for the same reasons as you (legal marriage was done shortly beforehand).

We have discussed whether or not to have a christening, naming ceremony or neither and have come to the conclusion that we would like to do something.

We have asked two significant people to be legal guardians if we both die, guide parents if you will, but there are other people who will have a huge role in our child's life - and who will be a honorary Aunt or Uncle as we are to their children.

WRT Sadmothers comment about them being self indulgent and meaningless....hmm....nasty in tone I thought and quite unnecessary.

Meaningless? I think not since the ceremony is designed and written to make it meaningful.

Self-indulgent? Possibly but then so are most thing we do as celebrations. I would hazard a guess that should your guests be of a similar view they would have the good grace to either decline your invitation or appreciate the importance that the day holds for you and not decry your choice.

Mumberjack Thu 28-Jan-16 08:32:41

We had a naming ceremony incorporated into our daughters first birthday party. It was really special for us as the celebrant had previously conducted our first daughters funeral service so it felt meaningful and he was so moved to be asked.

We combined it with her party as didn't want it to be about presents etc, just wanted everyone around but wanted to have 15 minutes or so out of the mayhem. The celebrant read something we'd suggested, along with a few bits of his own, and my husband read a poem.

Mumberjack Thu 28-Jan-16 08:34:15

We also encouraged everyone there to write a little message on a leaf, and all the leaves were stuck onto a poster we'd made of a tree outline.

It didn't cost us a lot and was all very informal. I couldn't really be bothered with organising a separate day, booking a venue etc (had it in back garden).

Eastend2015 Thu 28-Jan-16 08:55:45

Planning to do a humanist ceremony too as also had a humanist wedding and all the other reasons you mention. We haven't looked in to costs yet so we might just do it ourselves but it's nice to get the whole family together to greet the LO as well as catch up which is difficult otherwise. Also it's been such a long road getting to this point that I would like to mark that somehow.

clarabellski Thu 28-Jan-16 12:12:08

I've been to one (it wasn't humanist, just a naming ceremony) and it seemed like a clever way to get family & friends together to meet the new arrival in one fell swoop. I may try it myself as my extended family is gigantic and aunties love a baby!

TriJo Thu 28-Jan-16 14:10:09

We had a humanist wedding ceremony (legal in Ireland so no separate civil ceremony needed) and we're thinking of going back to the lady who did our wedding ceremony to do a naming ceremony this summer for our little guy when we're back in Ireland in the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now