Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cord Blood Donation

(3 Posts)
DC905210 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:00:12

Hi There,

Trying to help my wife find some info.

"We" are 37 weeks pregnant on Friday and she has just found out about donating cord blood and she would like to do it.

She has opted to have the baby at home though (absolutely everything is fine as far as the pregnancy goes for this, we are having a pool delivered on Friday etc).

Does anyone know if it is possible to donate cord blood following a home birth?

Thanks in advance.

madsaz76 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:54:05

I don't think so. According to Anthony Nolan there are only 4 centres able to do this - London, Manchester and Leicester. Even then staffing can impact on ability to do it.

It may be possible to donate placenta to research but you would need to discuss with midwife

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 28-Jan-16 08:23:15

No it's not possible I'm afraid. Homebirth and delayed cord clamping both totally preclude cord blood donation.
Lovely of you to want to do it though, and anyone else reading this who's considering it. It really does save lives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now