Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

normal iron levels in pregnancy?

(14 Posts)
kate1516 Wed 27-Jan-16 17:18:42

I had my 28 week check and my haemoglobin levels were 113 which the receptionist said is fine. I really expected to be told I was anaemic as have been feeling really bad similar to when I was anaemic last time. Been really really tired i.e. Going to bed the second I get back from work and taking morning naps and afternoon naps when I can, feeling lightheaded, nauseous and getting headaches for a few weeks.

Is my iron a bit lower than ideal? What else might be making me feel so crap or is it just that I am a bit older than last time, less fit and have a toddler. Any tips on how to become a functioning human again quickly would be very welcome.

Oysterbabe Wed 27-Jan-16 17:42:14

I think that sounds low. Mine was 140 from booking in bloods.

Oysterbabe Wed 27-Jan-16 17:42:40

Sorry and 128 at 28 weeks.

Junosmum Wed 27-Jan-16 17:51:09

I was given iron tablets after birth as my iron level was 105. I was told that 115 is normal when not pregnant an 95 the lower end of normal when pregnant.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:14:35

It must vary in different areas - here 105 is the cut off for intervention.

I felt awful when mine were 111. If they won't prescribe Ferrous Fumerate or Ferrous Sulphate, try liquid Spatone twice a day in orange juice with a drop of olive oil. If it continues to descrease, pester them. Also add more iron to your diet - broccoli, brown rice, etc etc.

kate1516 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:36:10

I guess it isn't iron then. Was, perhaps wrongly, hoping there was an easy solution like taking iron tablets to stop me feeling crap. I have been eating loads of it on rich food since I started feeling ill so maybe they are working.

kate1516 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:36:54

* Iron rich not it on rich sorry.

CarrotPuff Wed 27-Jan-16 18:43:55

What is your iron usually, or what was it at booking in? It could be that it's normal from medical POV but if yours is usually higher then you will feel the difference. You can get ferrous sulphate OTC, it's quite cheap. Maybe take it for a week or two and see how you feel.

kate1516 Wed 27-Jan-16 19:04:19

I just checked and it was 122 at booking so not that different to now so probably not an iron issue then.

slightlyinsane Wed 27-Jan-16 23:00:38

It could be your iron levels still. There are 2 to check your haemoglobin levels which you have but also your ferritin levels, these are the ones that help your body store iron. Might be worth asking for those to be checked

1frenchfoodie Fri 29-Jan-16 06:07:55

I was given iron tablets when mine went from 136 to 106 between weeks 13 and 27. I wasn't ferling tired to be honest.

meganlilly89 Fri 29-Jan-16 06:10:46

I'm on iron tablets. Mine is 95, I was told the cut off was 105 x

zannyminxoxox Fri 29-Jan-16 15:09:28

I thought I had low iron as I felt the same as you, falling asleep everywhere myn came back normal to must be baby taking it's toll on us 😊

kate1516 Fri 29-Jan-16 17:59:01

I am full of cold today and woken up with six mouth ulcers..... Maybe it was just me starting to get ill making me feel so tired for a few weeks. Was really busy at work before and after Christmas too so that may have contributed. Going to take some iron supplements, keep eating healthy and hope the tiredness passes. Thanks for all your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now