Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Zika Virus - Florida trip early March

(30 Posts)
Vap0 Wed 27-Jan-16 13:43:39

Hi

I have a mandatory work trip (sales meeting) planned to Miami early March and after 28 months ttc and 2 miscarriages I'm pretty paranoid of travelling anywhere there is any kind of risk. Will only just be at 12 weeks when we are due to fly. We are only going for 3 days. There are no travel risks YET for Florida however they have the same mosquitos there as infected areas.

I haven't told work yet about my pregnancy and was only planning on telling them the day before we travel but of course if I can't go I'll have to tell them before 12 weeks.

I missed the last sales meeting due to me having a miscarriage at the time (didn't tell them the reason, just called in sick) so missing 2 will not go down well at all. I am part of a small team of 6 so my absence will not go unnoticed.

What is the earliest you can have your 12 week scan where they test you for downs, Edwards etc.? Am I right thinking its 10 weeks? How long after do you get the results?

Even if they don't put a warning in place I am still anxious about going as its only a matter of time before Florida will be affected when looking at the spread of this type of mosquito. I'm planning on stocking up on the strongest mozzie repellant and a net for night time. I'll be in a room in my own which bothers me more as any in the room will be going for me at any opportunity.

Even taking precautions I'm bothered that it won't be enough. I'm probably totally paranoid but would regret it so much if I ended up with a severely disabled child due to a work trip.

What would you do?

gemsparkle84 Wed 27-Jan-16 20:03:08

There is no way I would go. Sorry. You will be able to get a sick note to advise against flying for anxiety. Good luck. smile

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 27-Jan-16 20:08:38

I'd tell work in confidence anyway, whether or not this virus goes there, because US health care is expensive and I'd want to know work had insurance for my pregnancy just in case.
I'd double check on mossie repellant, most aren't advised in pregnancy

Beansprout30 Wed 27-Jan-16 20:19:44

I'd also tell work and I would not travel, I think you need to put yourself and baby first here

PseudoBadger Wed 27-Jan-16 20:21:56

Tell work, they will update/perform the pregnancy risk assessment and it should become obvious that you can't go. Infectious agents should be risk assessed.

VimFuego101 Wed 27-Jan-16 20:21:59

I'd tell work in confidence anyway, whether or not this virus goes there, because US health care is expensive and I'd want to know work had insurance for my pregnancy just in case.

This. Your regular work travel insurance insurance may not cover you for pregnancy.

MedSchoolRat Wed 27-Jan-16 20:24:30

Disclaimer: not a virologist or medically qualified, you should ignore me...

Only a tiny number of cases in FA and it's a place with excellent mosquito control measures.

Short answer: if it were me, I would cancel and not care who knew I was pg, people will totally understand.

Long answer: if you do go, I doubt very much you'll get bitten much less affected. We don't know when the virus MIGHT affect pregnancies, so a good scan at 12 weeks means nothing reassuring, but chances of being affected are still probably very small.

Inwaiting Wed 27-Jan-16 21:08:14

I wouldn't go either. Just not worth the risk. I've just cancelled my holiday next week because of it. It's spreading so fast

Vap0 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:14:36

Thanks for all your replies ladies. A couple of people I have suggested my fears to IRL have dismissed them which is why I wanted to hear what other actual pregnant people had to say about it. I'm feeling less ridiculous now you all pretty much agree you wouldn't go. I know the chances of being infected are incredibly low but i think if my family knew I was pregnant and planning on going they would go mad. DP says to wait and see what the news says nearer the time.

So the question is - when would you inform work?

It's a small company, I have an immediate boss and boss above him and that's it, both are going on this trip.

I wish I wasn't being put in this position with work.

Fluffy24 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:18:11

I'd tell work now - the more heads up they have the better (from their perspective). And there's no way I'd go if pregnant, and my work HR dept would probably have had a kitten at the very thought of it!

ChalkHearts Wed 27-Jan-16 21:21:38

12 weeks is absolutely the most dangerous time for this virus (or so I was told by a colleague)

So if you were further along I'd say go - but at 12 weeks I wouldn't.

Starbores Wed 27-Jan-16 21:25:31

I wouldn't go it's not worth the risk no matter how small. I would leave your boss know asap.

Quodlibet Wed 27-Jan-16 21:29:07

There are lots of jobs where, for health and safety reasons, you need to inform work of oregnancy so that they can put risk assessment in place/change your duties accordingly.

I'd treat this similarly - tell them, and that you are concerned about travel risk, particularly if the virus spreads.

I wouldn't be concerned about going to places where there isn't confirmed Zika, which as I understand it there isn't in the US yet. But you could inform work and discuss with them in case the situation there changes.

Epilepsyhelp Wed 27-Jan-16 21:49:18

Tell your boss now and definitely do not go, it's just not worth it. It's just a stupid work conference, even if it's a tiny risk it's still not worth it.

Luckystar1 Wed 27-Jan-16 21:56:37

Picture it this way: is work going to care for a seriously ill baby/child? Will it pay for the weeks and years of dedicated care the child would require?

Are you willing to change your entire life and the life of your future other children if anything were to happen?

It's potentially not just a work trip, its potentially so much more.

But I know nothing of the level of risk, just the pictures I've seen of the affected children.

Good luck!

Shanster Thu 28-Jan-16 01:56:47

At least you can choose not to travel. I live in Georgia (state north of Florida), am 8 weeks pregnant and generally a mosquito magnet all summer long. I have a full time job and two other kids to look after, so I can't just hop back to the UK to avoid the risk of the virus. All I can do is hope that it takes a longer time to spread?

Vap0 Thu 28-Jan-16 07:03:28

shansta I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you all the luck in the world with your pregnancy. I really hope it doesn't make it that far north. Thinking of you thanks

OhShutUpThomas Thu 28-Jan-16 07:09:10

Which worst case scenario would you regret more?

Refusing to go on the trip and getging the sack?

Going on the work trip and getting infected?

I wouldn't go.

AnnaT45 Thu 28-Jan-16 07:16:23

I would tell work as soon as you can so they understand the situation. Your boss/ line manger etc will have to keep it in confidence so don't worry about everyone knowing.
I personally wouldn't go and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be able to sack you for that!

Yourface Thu 28-Jan-16 07:25:39

If work are shitty about it then absolutely what Luckystar1 said.

I've been to Florida a few times and not been bitten but when I was in the quays I was bitten like mad. Not that it makes any difference.

Artandco Thu 28-Jan-16 07:39:27

I would tell both the two people above you this week tbh

If your travelling early March you must be 7/8 weeks now

I would say that you don't want others to know yet due to past losses but after looking at current travel advice you don't feel it's safe or appropriate to travel to that area at this time. Say you are happy to attend meetings via video link if possible or if it was transferred to london

EdithWeston Thu 28-Jan-16 07:43:51

I think artandco is giving good advice.

"I wish I wasn't being put in this position with work"

Work isn't putting you in this position, because they do not know that you are PG. They are simply running an annual event which you are expected to attend. If you cannot go on medical grounds, you cannot go.

Work cannot make any adjustments for you until to tell them you are pregnant.

AnaGon Thu 28-Jan-16 07:46:56

I'd tell the boss and ask to keep it quiet for now. I wouldn't go as well even though the risks are quite low. Shanster I really hope this doesn't affect you and your area

Vap0 Thu 28-Jan-16 08:46:17

Thanks All

I have another scan on Monday 8+2 so will tell them after that. I'm so worried about losing this pregnancy too that I haven't even told family. Hopefully things will be progressing well on Monday.

Artioo2 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:43:54

If it was me, I would tell work as soon as possible, stressing that the information was confidential, and hand the responsibility to them. I would make it clear that I would not be going if the alert reaches Florida before the trip. It would then be up to them if they wanted to arrange a replacement beforehand, which if they're sensible, they will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now