Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

boobs too big to breast feed?

(23 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Wed 27-Jan-16 11:18:29

I really want to breast feed but I'm worried my boobs are too big and may smother baby's face. I'm a 38 E has anyone had any success while being a similar size.
Advice would be greatly received blush

GizzyBoo Wed 27-Jan-16 11:24:20

36JJ here and no problems last time.
When baby was tiny I did have to sometimes hold breast away from his nose but then I got better positioning and he grew and all was fine.
I'm planning to breastfeed again this time as it was lovey!

PutDownThatLaptop Wed 27-Jan-16 11:26:42

Size 38G. Tried all three times (I mean really tried, even spending 3 hours on one occasion with a very determined midwife) but the babies were having none of it. I even tried manual pumping (45 mins for very little milk) and in the end had to give it up. I don't think it is down to size though, it was just me.

TheEagle Wed 27-Jan-16 11:28:09

I was 40G after my twins were born and 9 months later we are still going strong grin

I was also 38/40 G when feeding DS1.

Sometimes you might have to move some breast tissue from near baby's nose but it's no big deal.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

maybebabybee Wed 27-Jan-16 11:29:54

My sister went up to a K cup and had no problems whatsoever - breastfed for nearly 2 years!

I'm a GG cup myself and fully intend to breastfeed.

randomsabreuse Wed 27-Jan-16 11:29:59

Currently feeding at 32K. Just needed to keep baby's nose clear of excess boobage at the very beginning. Cradle hold works for me but others work for others.

5hell Wed 27-Jan-16 11:32:36

no experience (yet) but i am doing a lot of bf reading currently, and i don't think there's any evidence to correlate big boobs (or boobs of any specific size) with feeding issues. You'll need to find the right position for you & baby, but try not to worry or preempt problems.

My boobs are v average, but my nipples as f*ing massive (the raspberry bit rather than the (growing) areola), but hoping that just gives baby something to aim for! grin

My friend is ~36G and has happily bf all 3 of her kids

Blueskies80 Wed 27-Jan-16 11:33:23

It's harder with big boobs our antenatal teacher told us. I was 34 HH and had a tiny baby and got v engorged so they were massive, had to squeeze boob to stop baby's nose contacting with it as others have said. Positioning was hard to start with too but we got there, had to ask for lots of help though. Once she grew it was fine. Good luck xx

FannyFifer Wed 27-Jan-16 11:35:03

No probs here breastfeeding with 36hh boobs.
I adapted position to suit as I've quite a short body & boobs are low outwith a decent scaffold bra, I could support the arm holding baby if I crossed my leg.

DixieNormas Wed 27-Jan-16 11:40:01

I'm a hh, no problems bf. Ds4 has just stopped at nearly 3

LBOCS2 Wed 27-Jan-16 11:47:28

38G and I BF DD to 20 months. No problems at all - it didn't occur to me that boob size might be an issue, but I have enormous nipples (!) and thought that might be a problem. Not so though - bodies and babies are remarkably adaptable.

Once they're a bit bigger, you can just plonk them on a cushion on your lap and then flop your boob into their mouth, leaving both hands free for book reading, coffee drinking and iPad playing. Much easier!

bippitybopityboo Wed 27-Jan-16 11:48:22

Awww thankyou lovely ladies I'm really looking forwards to giving it a go!

NeedsAMousekatool Wed 27-Jan-16 11:49:14

34J and breastfeeding at this very moment smile

GreenTomatoJam Wed 27-Jan-16 11:50:18

No probs with 2, although like others, had to press it back from nose at first.

There was one time when rugby ball hold feeding that I realised DS1 was having a bit of trouble breathing because the full weight was on him - I started propping boob up from under with a rolled towel at that point.

Lying down to feed took a bit of practice (didn't work when they were very little), but was a godsend once they were a couple of months old and knew what they were doing.

DrunkenUnicorn Wed 27-Jan-16 11:52:21

34H last time and fed ds2 for 2 years. Hope to do the same for dc3 smile

JellyTeapot Wed 27-Jan-16 11:52:38

40GG after having DS, size was not a problem other than, as previous posters mentioned, having to push breast tissue away from his nose when he was tiny. I did have a slight problem with "the angle of the dangle" but found shoving a rolled up muslin under my boob helped point it in the right direction grinGood luck!

RiverTam Wed 27-Jan-16 12:05:20

I found it quite tricky - big boobs and a tiny (6lbs) weak baby are not a good mix. Getting a comfy position was hard as I had to hold my boob with one hand, until DD was about 4 months old. Engorged boobs were almost impossible for her to latch in to (my boobs were bigger than her head to begin with!). Feeding in bed was a nightmare and I gave that up.

It wasn't impossible. But it was pretty hard and in the early weeks I had to force myself to continue.

randomsabreuse Wed 27-Jan-16 12:13:07

My boobs are still bigger than my DDs head. We cope pretty easily. The only problem I have with public feeding is that she prefers bare flesh to grope/pinch so pulls scarves/muslins away so one up one down is necessary to avoid drafts!

KnitsBakesAndReads Wed 27-Jan-16 12:17:56

I'm so happy to read all the positive experiences on this thread. I'm 30 weeks and already my boobs are 34J so I'm dreading to think what size they'll be when I'm breastfeeding. I've heard a few negative stories about big boobs making breastfeeding too difficult so it's lovely to hear all these good experiences. Thank you everyone!

UptownFunk00 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:34:55

I'm exactly the same size (well I think bigger now as haven't measured in a while) and was when DD1 was born - like others have said had to manually move breast away from nose a few times but mostly fine. The other issues she had with BF might've been due to being small and that I had PE in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Sairelou Wed 27-Jan-16 12:40:25

34GG here smile I found that getting comfy and popping baby on in cross cradle position was easier in the early days (when my boobs were bigger than her head!) and making sure her head was able to tilt right back to keep her nose free.

Good luck!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 27-Jan-16 12:47:19

Breastfed DS for 2 years and at their biggest my boobs were 36K. The one tip I was given that really helped in the early days was to put a rolled up muslin under my boob to kind of prop it up - it was like boob scaffolding.

FannyFifer Wed 27-Jan-16 16:38:11

LBOCS2 exactly what I did, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now