Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cough and cold advice.

(8 Posts)
socktastic Tue 26-Jan-16 18:10:57

Had a cough for a fortnight. I've had a cold throughout the cough which has almost gone now. However, the coughing is awful. I've never coughed so badly. I'm having episodes when I'm coughing so violently I'm making myself sick.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I can take to begin to feel better from this? I can barely get through a whole sentence just now without having to pause for a breath or a throat clear! sad

MoreGilmoreGirls Tue 26-Jan-16 18:22:14

I don't think there is much I'm afraid I too have a horrid cold, it's not fun when your pg. Have you tried sipping honey in warm water. Avoid cold drinks as they aggravate (so I was told).

HP07 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:45:54

I too have a horrible cold. Honey and lemon in hot water is quite soothing. At the moment my abdominal muscle hurt from so much coughing, can't be good. I would usually take cough suppressants and night nurse to get a good sleep but that obviously isn't going to happen. It's a real pain, especially as I'm early days and not many people know I'm pregnant, every keeps saying why don't you take this or that! Hope yours goes away soon.

socktastic Tue 26-Jan-16 19:01:41

Thanks for the ideas, I've got some honey in the kitchen, I'll go and try that.

Corkers from DH last night... "Have you tried, you know... Not coughing?" And "you'll wake the baby!" (I'm 18 weeks, I'm not sure that's quite how it works!)

MoreGilmoreGirls Tue 26-Jan-16 19:23:45

Hmm of course it could be worse you could have man flu OP grin

I read there are some cough mixtures you can take after 12 weeks so I'd ask a GP or pharmacist if it persists.

KnitsBakesAndReads Wed 27-Jan-16 08:03:20

I had a horrible cough last month so can definitely sympathise. I found hot honey and lemon drinks (boil some lemons in water then add honey) are really soothing for your throat. Also, you can have some lozenges (things like Soothers or Lockets - ask a pharmacist if you're not sure which are okay) which might help a bit. If it's affecting your sleep then try sleeping in slightly more upright position?

Hope you feel better soon!

MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 27-Jan-16 11:38:58

Sorry can I just add I read you should not boil lemons as you can lose the vit C.

maybebabybee Wed 27-Jan-16 11:39:43

You are perfectly OK to take paracetamol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now