Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is there anything that helps?

(9 Posts)
Maybug12 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:12:42

I'm 34 weeks tomorrow and this past week I have suddenly developed what I can only assume to be restless leg syndrome?! It's honestly enough to make me want to cry - as soon as I relax and especially at bed time my legs just feel soooo uncomfortable, I can't stop moving them and they twitch sad it's really frustrating and it's waking me up in the night! Please tell me there's something I can do to ease this? I imagine a bath would maybe help but unfortunately I only have a shower sad any suggestions / cures?

bluewisteria Sun 24-Jan-16 19:23:02

Exercise and a salt scrub with a body bristle brush helped me. It's rotten, hugs.

Fifi10 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:43:45

When I had this years ago (not pregnant) I was told by GP to eat bananas (potassium) and drink tonic water as the quinine in it helps. Bit of a bizzare combo though!

NotSpeaking Sun 24-Jan-16 20:09:54

Really cold water run on your legs is a quick release. That's what I always do.

hellsdells82 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:12:11

As fifi10 says.. bananas if ya can stomach them, and tonic water,although i have been told that just lots and lots of water in general. Think i might have also read it could be due to low iron levels so maybe get them checked too.
Im 31wks now and had for a few weeks already. To be the bearer of crappy news..the only solution to really rid yourself of the dreaded RLS is birth. roll on 6 weeks

Maybug12 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:19:50

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely try the bananas and tonic water! I have had high iron levels through out this pregnancy and recently had bloods which were all good but maybe I'll ask my midwife on Tuesday if she thinks they need checking again! Haha don't tell me that hells the thought of this for another 6 potentially 8 weeks is a killer!

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:54:07

I have a banana every eve before bed, I notice the difference if I don't.

MotherKat Sun 24-Jan-16 21:33:28

Hot water bottle between the calves seems to help too.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sun 24-Jan-16 21:39:20

Tonic water - quinine is often prescribed for restless legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now