Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

confusion over due date

(9 Posts)
applesvpears Sun 24-Jan-16 12:23:10

Hey all, I hope everyone is comfortable today (more likely we are all feeling sick, tired or like a whale!)
I am hoping someone can help. My given due date is 29th March, I assumed that this date would reflect the fact I am type one diabetic and will be induced at 38 weeks. However I now think that this is just the usual 40 weeks, which means I will be having her 2 weeks before the 29th (unless she comes earlier of course) I will contact the hospital to check next week but just wondered if anyone here was able to advise? confused

BeautyIsTruth Sun 24-Jan-16 12:28:15

Due dates are normally based on the dating scan around 12 weeks and will be based on when you're 40 weeks, that won't change whether you're diabetic or not. So I would assume in your shoes that you'll be induced 2 weeks before the 29th but it's definitely best to ring up and check.

wonkylegs Sun 24-Jan-16 12:33:13

My due date is based on 40wks despite the fact that Its been agreed that I'll have a section at 39wks since my 12wk appointment. I'm still expecting this one to turn up at around 36wks anyway like its brother so I'll be nicely surprised if I make it to 39wks.

applesvpears Sun 24-Jan-16 12:33:13

Thank you for replying. I think you are right, I will call up and check. I would have thought the Midwife would have told me, but I guess it's my responsibility to work it out. It will mean I will want to take my maternity leave a bit earlier too, two weeks is a lot of first time mum prep time to lose !!

BeautyIsTruth Sun 24-Jan-16 12:37:05

Ah don't worry, it is confusing. I am a midwife and due dates are always based on when you're 40 weeks, regardless of whether the baby is going to be born earlier. I've never seen otherwise but I guess we should make that clearer to women!

BeautyIsTruth Sun 24-Jan-16 12:39:46

I'd definitely still ring and double check, to put your mind at rest and so you've had it confirmed by the people caring for you.

applesvpears Sun 24-Jan-16 12:41:16

At least I know now. smile

applesvpears Sun 24-Jan-16 12:42:22

Yes I will double check tomorrow, just incase!

ThePug Sun 24-Jan-16 13:47:36

apples yes, your due date will be whenever you turn 40 weeks. I'm Type 1 too and queried this early days. My due date is 10th March, but baby will actually be here in February -hopefully not 29th-- Makes it difficult when people ask 'ooh when are you due?' I tend to tell them the rough induction date (but then they comment how small/neat I look for that gestation hmm can't win). Also, all along I'd been told they'd induce at 38 weeks but the consultant obstetrician I saw at the clinic last week told me by 38 weeks, but preferably after 37 weeks, so could be even sooner than I thought. I'm 33+3 now, so probably about 4 weeks to go - eeek!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now