Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

haggling pushchair prices in JL

(23 Posts)
JellyBaby26 Sun 24-Jan-16 10:08:14

We need a double for our 2nd in June.

I think we want the iCandy Peach but it's incredibly expensive.

Now I know they can only sell display models on the last day of the month but has anyone successfully haggled a really good deal from them?

In an ideal world we would sell our bugaboo and just pay a tiny bit more. Not going to bother with carrycot so there's a slight saving.

But I need tips as I can be a bit of a pushover!

Fifi10 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:10:35

Does it have to be from JL? I'd price compare online and check out voucher codes etc. etc.

Also, JL will price compare against other retailers so if you can find and prove a cheaper price elsewhere it might be worth bringing this up. Lots of the online stores don't fit their 'criteria' for price matching... but I would take a printout as proof in store to back up my haggling, always worth a shot.

slebmum1 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:21:59

Can you really haggle in JL? I wouldn't have thought the staff have that much autonomy.

Have you got an independent retailer or look for an online discount?

scaevola Sun 24-Jan-16 11:23:45

I wouldn't haggle in JL, unless you have evidence of lower prices elsewhere, and yes I include discount on ex-display in that.

When I bought an ex-display pushchair (from a completely different retailer) I got about 1/3 off and was very happy with it.

The ones you are looking at are amazingly expensive. If you are going to struggle to afford it, then I think it might be time to grit your teeth and see if you can find one You like that is not so costly.

There's a pushchair chat topic on MN where you might find more help.

JellyBaby26 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:24:39

Only JL is I trust them but would try with others that sell it.

Unfortunately no independents near me.

I'm sure one of the ladies I did NCT with (whom I cannot stand so can't ask her) said she got a "reeally" good deal on hers , and something about taking out a partnership card etc.

foragogo Sun 24-Jan-16 11:25:03

I've never heard of haggling in JL, only price matching - has to be a retailer with premises, not online only.

Chattymummyhere Sun 24-Jan-16 11:38:40

You can try but I would only think it would work on buying a big package so buy every single add on and they do it as a deal.

You could just buy a second hand one from eBay?

Chattymummyhere Sun 24-Jan-16 11:41:13

A partnership card is a john Lewis credit card which also lets you earn points like tesco clubcard.

You get 1point per £1 and 500 points gets you a £5 voucher

NerrSnerr Sun 24-Jan-16 11:44:05

I have never heard of haggling in John Lewis either. Have you tried EBay? If not you may have to go for a cheaper pram I guess.

Vap0 Sun 24-Jan-16 12:06:03

Hi

I work for a manufacturer who supplies product to John Lewis. If they had any special buy ones they will be clearing them off now (may have already gone) and they can go as low as 50% off. The product we supply is a totally different department where items are more bulky so it could be that smaller items such as this are not discounted as heavily. They generally start at 25% off and after a week or 2 of items not clearing will go for 50% off (but generally the ones which are the "better" or "more popular" products will have already gone before the increased discounts start). They have no room to discount prices at all unless the item is discontinued or the shop floor model is heavily soiled and they have been advised to sell it off and get a new replacement in.

It's certainly worth going in and asking them when the new colours/models will be coming out as this will give you an idea when they will be selling off their ex display. Also if your local store has sold out there is no harm in calling around all of the other stores as they will deliver to your home.

Best of luck

kaymondo Sun 24-Jan-16 14:38:21

The problem you may find is that generally you don't get deals on icandy's - ime they are never discounted as are so popular! If they're selling a display model they won't struggle to get rid of it, so there is no incentive for them to haggle.

Luckygirlcharlie Sun 24-Jan-16 16:25:50

We have an Icandy strawberry and were thinking what to do as also need double. Decided to buy second hand peach blossom twin locally on eBay and it's great. Got about 1500 worth of kit for 550. I've never bought anything from eBay in my life! Everything comes off and goes in the washing machine so id recommend that option!

JellyBaby26 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:38:38

I worry about eBay ever since I saw someone buy a fake bugaboo on watchdog. Will try local Facebook groups though! Unless DH fancies spending his had earned cash on a new one!

Junosmum Sun 24-Jan-16 18:08:55

I got a bugaboo cameleon second hand off eBay- paid £160 for it with loads of accessories, should have been £1100 brand new. It's the 'new' ones on eBay you have to watch out for fakes with. Mine was from an independent seller who was selling off a bit of baby stuff and I collected it from her home.

3rdrockfromthesun Sun 24-Jan-16 18:52:08

Just go in and ask if they can do you a deal? The sales assistant will automatically go to the manager and ask if they can do you a deal. I have haggled over the price of reduced to clear stock and have won (currently looking at at £682 oven reduced to £350 - got for £280)

Luckygirlcharlie Sun 24-Jan-16 18:53:25

Yes this one defo real - used to our strawberry so can tell. She also more than stacked up as a seller. Not something I'd normally do but a Phil and teds new with all the kit for a newborn would have been more than this and I didn't want to drop another 1500! Hopefully DS 1 will be able to scoot/ go on a runner board soon so we can go back to singles but def but def not an option for 6 months or so. We also have a local Facebook group and a couple were available but not with as much stuff as this one. Would still recommend second hand if you already forked out for the new one the first time round smile

JaniceJoplin Sun 24-Jan-16 18:54:54

When we bought a pushchair Glasgow pram centre (big online), they offered 10% off if we paid for the chair when we ordered it rather than when it was delivered. The leadtime was a couple of months though, but as it was a Bugaboo donkey we saved a lot by doing this. They also offered 10% off any pram, so in total 20% off.

Maybe try finding someone JL will price match with ?

Luckygirlcharlie Sun 24-Jan-16 18:57:38

By the way jelly am interested you're not bothering with the carrycot this time. Are you planning to just fully recline the seat and wedge them in? I was thinking of doing that too.

FatimaLovesBread Sun 24-Jan-16 21:30:08

If you can get to any baby shows, go to to one on a Sunday and you can normally buy they display ones there cheaper. They'll have only been out of the box 3 days.
We went to one in Manchester and could have had a limited edition peach for £750 instead of £1100

Picklesauage Sun 24-Jan-16 22:13:44

I did this for icandy peach.

I found it online at an independent retailer and got them to email me a quote. I then printed it out and took it with me. This saved me £150.

This was 4 1/2 years ago.

JellyBaby26 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:33:42

Charlie, yes and just car seat.

It was barely used for dd. we can always use a sling or carrier as well.

The way I see it, if we feel we need it we can go and buy it but if we buy it and don't use it we have wasted our money!

TattieHowkerz Mon 25-Jan-16 10:25:13

I ordered from Glasgow Pram Centre. As above, they price match and give a further discount. I shopped around online for the best price on individual parts (chassis, hood, seat) at different stores, and they price matched all of them, I saved about £300.

emm2016x Mon 25-Jan-16 14:20:41

Ah the wonderful world of pushchairs!
After looking through what seemed a million pushchairs I opted for the Silvercross Wayfarer but also having the same problem as you as all the seperate pieces added together came to around £750. Which was a bit steep for me but didn't mind working that little bit extra as I fell in love with the pushchair.
Anyway, after looking at mostly mothercare and toys r us every other day to see if they had a deal I found a place called winstanleys pramworld. Now usually i prefer to go to larger retail companies such as mothercare just for piece of mind but this place was around £150 cheaper as I got the car seat for free!! grin
I didn't fancy purchasing online and it arriving damaged so my dad very nicely drove me to the shop which is in Wigan. Im in Nottingham so it was about a 2hr drive but very easy and it didn't feel too long.
Before I went I actually reserved everything as I didn't want to get there and be told they didn't have everthing in. The customer service is amazing! All local women who actually enjoy their job and couldn't do enough to help.
Definitely try them and if I was to purchase again I probably would use the delivery service just because you can tell they are a careful thoughtful independent company.
Hope this helps flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now