Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

eeeek we are pregnant

(32 Posts)
NisekoWhistler Sun 24-Jan-16 03:59:09

We just did two pregnancy tests this weekend and found out we are pregnant. Live thousands of miles from 'home' and I am like eeeek what do we do first, what am I not allowed to eat, what books should I read, how soon should I see a doctor?

Will be staying overseas for birth etc...

Any tips and guidance greatly welcomed. Asking on here because of course we can't tell a soul in RL

BBQueen Sun 24-Jan-16 04:09:16

Congratulations, but who's "we"?! Surely only one person can be pregnant!

Use the NHS pages (assuming home is the uk) as a guide for what you can eat and other safety advice. There's so much nonsense advice out there so best just to stick to one source.

BBQueen Sun 24-Jan-16 04:12:07

Ps, if you were in my part of the UK, there is no need to see a doctor. The midwife sees women at 9 weeks (from date of last missed period) for "booking in" and then the 12 week scan is arranged. Booking in is the advice session, and taking of medical history/other form-filling.

NisekoWhistler Sun 24-Jan-16 04:21:44

Thank you, I said we as in me and my husband are pregnant, I thought that was the PC way of putting it! Yeah real home is the U.K. Will look at nhs pages as yes you're right there is so much rubbish out there. Thanks X

BBQueen Sun 24-Jan-16 06:47:54

Sorry for the slightly narkiness! The we thing is a personal bug bear but I don't want to temper your excitement.

Being pregnant is an amazing experience but so for me was so much hard work that there's no way I'd share the credit with my DH.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 24-Jan-16 06:50:18

Nooooo it's not 'pc' to say you're both pregnant! It's twee and inaccurate grin
Congratulations! There are some nice books that give you good info about every week with photos etc but to be honest there isn't much you need to do/know at this stage, just take it easy! You will probably get very tired.

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 24-Jan-16 06:54:30

Your husband is pregnant? hmm sorry to nitpick just can't get passed that!! "We" are pregnant? confused

Congratulations though to you and your DH even if he is a medical freak grin

Just prepare to be very tired so try and rest

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 24-Jan-16 06:55:08

*past

sepa Sun 24-Jan-16 09:17:49

Congratulations!

You need to see midwife from 8 weeks (after last period) call your dr surgery to get details of the one they use. Your booking appointment is a long one. No need to bring husband as its boring as hell and they like to ask you questions about domestic violence etc.
MW will book your 12 week scan for you.

Only reason I saw GP before my midwife is because I was on medication for arthritis so needed to discuss this and pain relief before an 8 week appointment

DartmoorDoughnut Sun 24-Jan-16 09:21:38

What the others have said! Unless you have a wife and you're both pregnant it's "I am pregnant" not "we are pregnant"

Pedantry out the way grin

Congratulations! The GP can refer you to the midwife or you can phone them and self refer smile

Frankie72 Sun 24-Jan-16 10:04:47

I always say we are pregnant and feel that we both are! Though my husband is not experiencing the back ache, pupp and rubbish stuff he is very much part of this pregnancy. We are a team and i am glad he is apart of it.

Not wanting to start anything just wanted the op to know that in the early stages you and your partner are in it together and should enjoy it together.... Or at least he can hold your hair for you when your sick! Good luck lovely!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 24-Jan-16 10:35:37

Of course you're a team but he's not pregnant. The state of being pregnant isn't a joint enterprise and never will be. You're both expecting a baby, not pregnant

DartmoorDoughnut Sun 24-Jan-16 10:36:25

My husband and I are a team, he still wasn't, and won't ever be, pregnant.

AuntieStella Sun 24-Jan-16 10:39:42

"I thought that was the PC way of putting it!"

No, it's the opposite of that, unless you and DW/DP are both women with overlapping pregnancies when it is the correct form.

NHS pages good. Can you say where you are overseas? MN is a big enough site that there's usually a poster or few with recent experience of healthcare systems just about anywhere who might know how antenatal care is typically arranged where you are.

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 24-Jan-16 13:00:21

You could say " WE are expecting a baby" that's correct. But WE are pregnant is just crazy. Very twee, and just...well...wrong confused no matter how much of a team you are!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 24-Jan-16 13:03:57

It's a very American way of saying it in my experience.

Congratulations smile

Impatientwino Sun 24-Jan-16 13:07:34

For goodness sake, how she worded her post is irrelevant! Stop being so mardy, the woman is excited!

Congratulations OP. Get in touch with a midwife and get on their radar and they should tell you everything you need to know. As a previous poster has said the nhs pages are very helpful

Enjoy your pregnancy smile

JessieMcJessie Sun 24-Jan-16 13:15:16

I think OP has got the message about "we" everyone. She also said that she's not coming back to the UK to have the baby so the UK midwife stuff is irrelevant other than as a reassurance that it's not necessary to see a doctor just yet. OP for eating I recommend that you download on Kindle a book called "what to eat when you're pregnant" by Dr Rana Conway. It will tell you all you need to know about that side of things.

How many weeks gone are you? You can put the date of your last period into the Mumsney pregnancy calculator (Google it) and it will tell you a due date and what week you are in. On the first day you miss your period you are already 4 weeks pregnant, which is a bonus.

Being overseas you then need to ensure you have either the right health insurance, access to a public health system or enough money to fund all your prenatal and postnatal care, as well as the birth. Look for an expat Mums network in your country online. The best thing is probably to make an appointment with a local family doctor to ask about the system.

Medically, though, unless you've found out really late and are approaching 12 weeks when you'll need to get a move on with scans and downs testing if you want that, there is nothing to do except stop drinking, eat well and be ready to be very tired.

Your username suggests you are a skier or boarder- you're probably OK to keep doing that for a while, but nothing too extreme.

If you have more info do pay again and I'll try to help. I was an expat in Asia for many years.

JessieMcJessie Sun 24-Jan-16 13:15:30

Post again, not pay again.

JessieMcJessie Sun 24-Jan-16 13:15:53

Also the Pregnancy + iphone/ iPad app is good.

NisekoWhistler Sun 24-Jan-16 14:11:29

I cannot believe that with and a* in GCSE English and a masters degree I got such a schooling today. Apologies in my excitement and having never said the phrase I got it wrong. It's funny how living in Asia for a couple of years has made my English slip!!

Anyway thanks for the kind posts. Yes we're going skiing on our honeymoon next week, think I may have to be less of a daredevil this time!

Will be sure to download kindle book and iPad app.

Mslg Sun 24-Jan-16 14:17:11

That barrage of criticism regarding using we rather than I was completely unnecessary IMO. Don't let it bother you!

Congratulations and wishing you a happy pregnancy smileflowers

JessieMcJessie Sun 24-Jan-16 14:19:59

Many GP doctors in Asia will do a blood test to check that the pregnancy is advancing OK. You might want to ask for one for peace of mind. I had a pregnancy while in Asia that sadly only lasted a week but having had the blood tests I was ready for the bleeding before it came so was less of a shock. Don't you want to tell us how far along you are?

AyeAmarok Sun 24-Jan-16 15:02:15

Congratulations!

Don't take the 'we' criticism to heart OP. We're just making sure you don't make that mistake IRL! Better you learn it on MN than have people sniggering when you tell them smile

It's "We're having a baby" or "I'm pregnant".

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Sun 24-Jan-16 15:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now