Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Housing benefit on maternity leave

(7 Posts)
Jenjen86 Sat 23-Jan-16 14:31:13

Hello, this is a bit of a tough post to put up so would appreciate just helpful answers rather than opinions on my personal circumstances as I know it can be an emotive topic..
I am due next week but unfortunately my boyfriend has to attend court mid February for some.allegations made by his ex (which I am in no doubt are not true,please just trust me on this and again do not judge our situation as there are many facts which are too detailed to go into here). Obviously there is always a risk that the jury will not believe him as these allegations can be hard to prove either way. It's been a very difficult and stressful pregnancy as a result of this and I have been struggling to cope with the idea of potentially losing my partner just days after giving birth. We did not find out about this until after I was pregnant and I am now on maternity leave and will be going down to statutory mat pay next month. If my partner is still with me and cleared of charges we will be fine financially but if he is given a custodial sentence I genuinely have no idea how I will manage as even on my salary I cannot afford the rent and bills and childcare costs alone. As well as the trauma of losing the man that I love and becoming a single parent I will also be unable to cope financially.
The question I have is, would I be able to claim housing benefit while claiming maternity pay? Or would they say I am not eligible because I have a job? It would help tremendously to know this as I can scrape by if I am entitled to housing benefit.
If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get by on low incomes as a single parent please let me know,I am.grateful for any help and advice

LouLou030783 Sat 23-Jan-16 14:35:32

So sorry to hear ur having a tough time X id say if ur own ur own and only getting SMP u should be entitled the only thing u can do is contact ur local council and double check even get the forms just incase but no one can expect u to live on SMP without some form of help x

Akire Sat 23-Jan-16 14:38:10

Housing benefit is paid on income so it didn't matter if that's maternity pay or other pay. So if maternity pay dosnt give you enough to live on and lay the rent you will get some or all of it paid. SMP may also give you an income support top up.

You may also be able to get tax credits and of course child benefit. If you look at a benefit calculator on line and put in details it will give you an idea. Good luck lets hope it's just the worse case senerios

This is good one www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx

Jenjen86 Sat 23-Jan-16 14:45:09

Thanks so much that is really helpful info I will check it out now. I've never claimed any benefits before and I find it all.quite confusing! Everyone tells me.I can't think like that and i need to stay positive but I feel.like I need to plan for the worst case scenario because otherwise if it happens I wpuld just fall apart

j0j080 Sat 23-Jan-16 14:54:02

You can apply for housing benefit and tax credits. Whilst on mat leave you are still counted as 'in employment' for tax credits purposes, so make sure you fill in the form to reflect your normal hours of work before you went on leave.

Akire Sat 23-Jan-16 14:54:34

Don't worry claiming benefit IS confusing! If you can get all old payslips, bank statements, rent forms, bills in one place as you may need to show income and various other prof of address etc. The last thing you want with a newborn is to start hunting out tenancy agreements and the like.

Jenjen86 Sat 23-Jan-16 15:16:30

Thanks so. Much for this advice I wouldn't even have thought about getting my documents sorted! I've just checked with my friend in HRabout if my payslip will be posted to me and she has confirmed it will be, and I will spend Monday peaking to banks about bank statements etc so I have everything just in case. Thanks for everyone for posting, I really appreciate the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now