Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What support belt would you recommend?

(14 Posts)
1Sunnydays Fri 22-Jan-16 13:29:20

First time poster here smile

I'm 20+4 with my first DC and my midwife has diagnosed pelvic girdle pain (PGP). She's advised I get a support belt from Boots or Mothercare. Can anyone recommend, or are they pretty similar? I'm seeing the physiotherapist next Thursday but hoping to get to the shops tomorrow for a belt.

squeezed Fri 22-Jan-16 19:32:03

Marking my place as I'm waiting for an appointment with the physio and have also been advised to get a belt

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 22-Jan-16 21:14:50

I would recommend a Serola maternity belt. My physio recommended it and my midwife independently confirmed that it was the best one to get. I found it massively helpful.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 22-Jan-16 21:16:02

Sorry, I should have said that you can order them online (Amazon and quite a few other websites sell them) and I think they cost about £20.

1Sunnydays Fri 22-Jan-16 21:37:45

Thanks Lorelai that's really helpful. Pleased to hear it made a big difference for you. I'm off to look at Amazon now smile

Southy84 Fri 22-Jan-16 22:15:52

My physio recommended the Emma Jane maternity belt, I got mine from boots £12. I'm normally a size 10 but was recommended the 14-16 to last rest of pregnancy- I'm 23+4

waxweasel Fri 22-Jan-16 22:47:55

I'd second the serola belt - that's what my physio gave me during my last pregnancy for PGP/SPD, and this time my osteo has recommended the same.

LumpySpaceCow Sat 23-Jan-16 15:47:26

The belts didn't help me as my pelvis is so misaligned. Have you been referred to physio for a full assessment and hands on treatment if needed?

1Sunnydays Sat 23-Jan-16 17:01:00

Thanks Southy and Waxweasel**.

I tried Boots and Mothercare today (both big branches) but no joy with any support belts at all. I've ordered a Serola belt from Amazon which should be here on Monday. Fingers crossed it helps.**
I have the physio on Thursday Lumpyspacecow. It's a class so group session but midwife has said if needed I can get 1-2-1 physio after that but this was the quickest way to see a physio. Did you find physio sessions helped?

waxweasel Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:41

Physio helped a bit last time (one to one - I can't see how a group session would help really, as it needed hands on manipulation) but an osteopath has made much much more difference this time. It's honestly amazing how much she's managed to limit the pain.

1Sunnydays Mon 25-Jan-16 16:50:29

I'm not sure either Waxweasel but the midwife said this was the quickest way to see a physio. I'll go along and see. A friend has a physio she recommends so if I need to I'll get in touch with them afterwards and make an appointment.

My belt arrived at work this morning so I trooped off gingerly crept/hobbled to the toilet to get it straight on. I'm sure people wondered what was happening in the cubicle with all the Velcro ripping noises as I figured out how to get on right blush Fingers crossed it makes a big difference.

Southy84 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:57:51

I had a group physio session too, it wasn't massively helpful,I gave it a week and a half and then phoned for a one to one session which was a lot better and gave personalised exercised just for the problems im having. If you find the group session doesn't help much Id phone back quickly for another appointment, I have to say I got seen really quickly. Hope it helps smile

1Sunnydays Tue 26-Jan-16 21:13:20

Thanks Southy smile

1Sunnydays Thu 28-Jan-16 00:55:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now