Talk

Advanced search

long sleeved vests

(41 Posts)
Junosmum Thu 21-Jan-16 17:38:24

When are these useful? Can I use them in place of a short sleeved vest or are they t-shirts?

Sunshine511 Thu 21-Jan-16 17:57:21

I have to say, I never ever used them with my DD who was born just before winter a few years back. They just didn't seem to work under things IMO. I have seen them on little boys under short sleeved t-shirts etc but I'd probably layer them up with cardigans instead. I'm quite pernicity and just don't really think they ever look that good. I found other ways to layer DD up without her having the long sleeved vests x

Junosmum Thu 21-Jan-16 18:12:47

I'm with you sunshine but we've been bought quite a few and no idea what to do with them!

Artandco Thu 21-Jan-16 18:14:04

We used under dungerees

Sunshine511 Thu 21-Jan-16 18:15:59

Do you know if you're having a boy? I think they are a bit more wearable on boys. I was actually worried about writing that because I know lots of people use them 😬 but wanted to give my honest opinion x

Loft653 Thu 21-Jan-16 18:25:33

We use them with a sleeping bag at night time. Grobag have a chart on their website with suggested clothing for different temperatures / tog combinations. At the moment we are using a long sleeved vest and 2.5tog bag.
http://gro.co.uk/pages/what-to-wear

Not used them during the day.

Shantotto Thu 21-Jan-16 18:29:09

I use them to layer up - so they just go under a babygro or another top. Or I just put DS in two vests at a time! A plain one and then a brighter patterned one as a nicer top.

Not sure how much truth is in the saying 'one more layer than you have on' for babies but it's kind of stuck!

bluewisteria Thu 21-Jan-16 18:36:23

We used long sleeved baby gros over short sleeved ones, to keep our winter babes warm. A jumper or cardi should them fit fine as a third layer.

soundsystem Thu 21-Jan-16 18:40:56

We use them for sleeping as well, either on their own or under babygro/PJs depending on how cold it is. I've got some nice ones that work under dungarees/dresses as well.

soundsystem Thu 21-Jan-16 18:41:30

(When I say "I've got@ I mean DD has - I'm not wearing them!

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 21-Jan-16 18:43:25

We used (and use) them.

Under babygros when it's colder. At night under a Babygro (old house, gets cold).

Under short sleeved t-shirts in winter.

As a top under dungarees.

Have to say, I didn't use the 0-3 ones we were given much though. They were all spring babies and just didn't need the layering. More a winter thing.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 21-Jan-16 18:43:39

Dd was a december born. We quite often used to put her in tights and a long sleeved vest buttoned over the top. Then if we went out id pull a pinafore or dungarees over. Or just shove her in an all in one fleece.

Ds october born and we put his under short sleeved tshirts, or on their own under dugarees.

lostinmiddlemarch Thu 21-Jan-16 18:46:45

I use them under a babygrow and prefer them to short sleeved vests at this time of year. My baby sleeps with his arms flung out so I like knowing he has two layers on.

NerrSnerr Thu 21-Jan-16 18:49:28

We use them for our daughter under t shirts.

ffauxlivia Thu 21-Jan-16 18:49:43

I've been wondering this as I seem to have ended up with quite a few of these in newborn/0-3 sizes, baby due in March. You mean the ones with no legs, yes?

Should I get some leggings? Or just always use a baby gro on top? We have a v warm apartment and I was worried long sleeved vest + baby gro would be too warm. But nothing on their legs seems like it would be too cold?

5minutestobed Thu 21-Jan-16 18:49:44

Yep we used them a lot in the winter under t-shirts and under pjs as an extra layer.

TrashPanda Thu 21-Jan-16 18:49:46

DS pretty much lives in them. His nursery is warm so they go under dungarees or trousers/joggers as they don't ride up like tops. Boring ones used for bedtime under sleeping bag.

ffauxlivia Thu 21-Jan-16 18:51:29

ah libraries I think you've just answered me - I have a feeling I won't be using them much for a Spring newborn!

Drglf Thu 21-Jan-16 18:57:08

We used them under gro bags/sleeping bags when it was still warm (August baby). Now I use them under dungarees/pinafores or as an extra arm layer under babygros if very cold outside and we were out in the sling.

PriorityCatchmentHell Thu 21-Jan-16 18:57:35

ffaux- you might find with a warm apartment you use them instead of a Babygro with a gro bag? Or, as you say, with leggings. If you have the vests already, there are ways of using them.

Zinni Thu 21-Jan-16 19:04:41

My 4-month old wears them daily. He wears trousers or dungarees on top with a cardigan, or if house is warm a tshirt over the long sleeve vest in contrasting colour.

Ughnotagain Thu 21-Jan-16 19:10:22

We use them under dungarees or pinafores.

ffauxlivia I tend to do short sleeved vest, long sleeved top and leggings. S/s vest and a babygro when she was smaller (and still that for bed with a Grobag).

Be warned tho, leggings means socks, which on a baby are the devil. I prefer vest, long sleeved dress (or l/sleeved vest and pinafore) with tights.

Oysterbabe Thu 21-Jan-16 19:14:27

We're using them under babygrows at the moment.

KP86 Thu 21-Jan-16 19:22:46

We used them to layer under baby grows as an infant and under tshirts in Autumn/spring weather. Also great for going under pjs in cold months. In fact, in super cold weather (day time) DS wears a long vest, long tshirt and jacket.

If wearing under tshirts you can buy the next size up shirt (that will fit in the coming summer) and the long vest underneath helps to fill it out so it doesn't look huge.

Wouldn't be without them in this house.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 21-Jan-16 21:12:28

I just use them as tops, with leggings or trousers. House is warm so they didn't need extra layers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now