Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Meleda Swing Maxi second hand

(32 Posts)
Karinoushka Tue 19-Jan-16 21:58:09

Hi, i have just bought a second hand Meleda Swing Maxi but saw afterward that you are not supposed to use a second hand one as the Meleda as an 'open' system and can't be properly sterilized. Anyone knows about this? I feel i have waisted my money...

Junosmum Tue 19-Jan-16 22:55:38

Thing is, you can't fully sterilize an open system but if you bought it new there'd be a build up of old milk after a little while anyway, which you wouldn't be able to sterilize away.

I did watch a video on the medela pump being open and it was pretty gross.

Cerseirys Tue 19-Jan-16 22:58:33

I know it's only anecdotal but FWIW, I bought a second hand one from a woman who'd had twins but only used the pump a couple of times before realising she needed the double version, and I never had any problems with it. Nor did DS suffer from any adverse reactions or the like.

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 08:40:34

I have sent an email to Medela to find out if the Swing Maxi has been improved and if it is now a closed system as I found conflicting informations online. Let's see what they say...

Sunshine511 Wed 20-Jan-16 08:56:06

Oh I'm a bit worried about this now. I had a medala swing which I used when my daughter was younger. I gave it to my sister in law to use when she was breastfeeding and my intention was to use it again this time. Do you think this won't be safe to do? Would it have been safe to use if I hadn't given it to my SIL though? Because it still would have sat for 2 years between babies? Sorry I'm clueless with this kind of thing 😬 X

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Jan-16 09:02:16

Personally I would use it and not worry.

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 09:59:32

I am feeling paranoid to use it as well, so i am going to see what Medela says.
It is to do with the milk being able to go where it can't be cleaned.

Sunshine511 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:03:39

It's confusing though, so does that mean if you have one child, then don't use it for a year or 2, you can't use it anymore? Also, I used it for nearly a year with DD. Surely if it can't be cleaned properly, that would have been unsafe for her? It would have sat for up to a couple of months at the longest periods between me expressing. Doesn't seem to make any sense confused x

Missdusk Wed 20-Jan-16 10:16:40

Id run it through the steriliser several times but still use it. Im not so sure about using it when ive had it from an unkown source but if it was a family or friend whod been using it id just wash it as thoroughly as i could and then sterilize thoroughly. Depends what you use to sterilise as well i guess though. I know the medela's say to boil them but i put mine in my tommee tippee electric sterilizer and it steam sterilizers so it gets into everything.

Sunshine511 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:55:49

Awww thank you Missdusk!! I think that's what I'll do! I've got a steam steriliser too so I'll just give it a good few runs through that! 😊

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 11:05:14

It is apparently more complex than that. The milk and bacteria can go into the motor itself which can't be cleaned. It is different with pumps which have a closed system.

Sunshine511 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:11:37

What I don't understand though is if you breastfed for a year, wouldn't that happen over time anyway? Doesn't seem right that the product could be dangerous to babies.x

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Jan-16 11:30:20

Medela will say you need to buy a new one because they want you to buy a new one. Unless these things have a shelf life, and nothing in the manual to suggest they do, then surely it'll be fine.

Artioo2 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:36:06

It is confusing, because I thought that if the milk got into the motor mechanism the pump would break anyway? I certainly remember reading in the instructions for ours not to let milk go down the tubes back into the mechanism for this reason.

I suppose the difference between using one for babies in the same family years apart and using a secondhand one might be that you know your own medical history and so can be pretty confident the milk was originally safe? The same reason that you have to give detailed medical information when you donate breast milk.

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 11:45:36

I just had a email back from Weleda saying: 'The Swing Maxi is not a closed system and should only be used on a personal use basis. The only pump that is closed is the Symphony hospital grade pump'
So i guess it is a personal decision wether to use a second hand one or not but it's not a great feeling to not be sure.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 20-Jan-16 11:55:14

as others have said, it doesn't really make much sense. Yes the risk is that milk might get into the tubing - it shouldn't really, but could in theory if you tip the bottle or something. And it will then grow mold there.

However, if the pump is moldy, it really doesn't make a difference if it's a mold from your own milk or someone else's. I guess the only difference is that if you're the only user, you would know if you had got milk into the tubing, and with second-hand, you only have their word?

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 11:55:45

Sunshine511, you have a point. I have just sent an email to Weleda asking the same thing. If it's the case that it is not safe to use it second hand, then it is not safe for a second child.

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 11:56:23

Correction: MEDELA not Weleda!!!

MantaRayBay Wed 20-Jan-16 12:10:28

My sister gave me her medala double pump to use. I think I bought new tubing off amazon. I had a prem baby and had to pump a lot. He didn't get any tummy upsets from it. He's a toddler now. Does that help at all?

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 12:16:07

Ok so this is the reply from Meleda: 'The tube is only for the air to flow through to create the vacuum so therefore no milk should go into it. Also the connectors should prevent this as well.
It will be perfectly safe to use on a second baby. We just recommend that you only use it yourself in case of cross contamination if any milk somehow was able to get into the motor.'
A bit ambiguous no? What do you think?

Cerseirys Wed 20-Jan-16 12:26:44

If you're really nervous then perhaps you could get replacement tubes?

Sunshine511 Wed 20-Jan-16 12:35:13

Since you are in contact with them OP, it might be worth asking if the replacement tubing would solve the problem? Makes sense that it would, unless there was mould at the end of the tubing inside the electrical part (if that makes sense)! I may just change it them too for peace of mind, if they say that will solve the issue! Fingers crossed x

Karinoushka Wed 20-Jan-16 13:40:33

I just don't understand how the milk would go in the motor in the first place. They are talking about cross contamination. I was going to change the tube anyway but someone on the internet opened their motor and there was milk in there. But then as someone suggested that could happen with your own child or for the second one. I think Medela are a bit vague, if it's ok for a second child, then surely it's ok second hand?!

Artioo2 Wed 20-Jan-16 14:12:19

It is possible for milk to get in the motor - if tiny drops get into the tubing it can gradually get sucked back down the tube.

The 'use on a personal basis' must be the key in their answer - the (very slight) risk must be that you don't know the medical history of the person you bought from. There are diseases that can pass through breast milk. The chances of this happening though must be tiny.

MantaRayBay Wed 20-Jan-16 14:41:58

If that's the case there should be big warnings on the box shouldn't there? I agree their response is a bit ambiguous.

But I think viruses don't survive for long outside the human body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now