Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 wks baby not grown since last apt

(11 Posts)
MrsJK Mon 18-Jan-16 12:27:38

Currently 38+1 with Dc3 and measuring 34/35 wks ( I understand this is a completely outdated form of measuring but....)

Have seen my regular MW today who is worried that baby has not grown since my 36 wk apt ( when measured 34 wks) she knows me well as have had her for my two previous pregnancies.

She has requested that i am seen in day assessment today and have an apt at 2.30pm today for monitoring / scan.

Anyone with any experience of this? Or what to expect?

I finding it very hard to vocalise but I've thought something was a miss for several weeks now and have been in for additional monitoring / examinations but to no avail?

Thenightswatch Mon 18-Jan-16 12:30:42

I had the same situation last week, I was measuring two weeks small so sent for a scan, I had low fluid, so have been for in for another scan this week, and will see how my fluid is looking. I can't help with much yet as I also don't know what's happening but good luck!

HeyMicky Mon 18-Jan-16 12:37:03

I was induced with DD2 at 37 weeks as her growth had slowed right down. Labour was fine and so was she. 5lbs 7oz but her sister was 5lbs 2oz (spontaneous labour at 37 weeks) so I just make small babies. At 38 weeks they're fully cooked; there might be some mild jaundice.

I only had 24 hours notice before induction through so make sure your hospital bag is packed

nightandthelight Mon 18-Jan-16 12:42:58

Hugs JK flowers

I have the same problem today. Bump measuring 34 m at 37+4 which is exactly what it was measuring 2 weeks ago. Have a scan on Thursday so hoping everything will be OK.

Keep reminding myself of how inaccurate bump measurements are! Here for hand holding smile Hope all goes well at 2:30!

MrsJK Mon 18-Jan-16 12:43:35

Thank you both.

I had planned for another HB so have just packed my bags.

Feel really silly and Im sure it's absolutely nothing ( best to be safe!) but cannot shake my feeling.

Besides monitoring is it unlikely that they will do anything today? Trying to plan ahead for my other two littleys

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 18-Jan-16 12:47:33

Measuring bump is really really inaccurate. I was consistently told I was measuring too small with my first pregnancy and the scans said something different every time.

This time I was measuring wrong on my last scan so I'm back in tomorrow for a rescan and I'm 37 weeks on Thursday. My worry is the placenta might be packing up but blood flow and cord pressure were fine. I've just got to sit on my hands till tomorrow and hope all is fine.

CorBlimeyTrousers Mon 18-Jan-16 12:50:15

Yes I had this with my eldest son. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes late at 34 weeks (after sugar in urine at 32 weeks). I had growth scans at 36 and 38 weeks. The 38 week scan suggested he hadn't grown in previous 2 weeks and also concerns about placental blood flow. The sonographer told me not to leave the hospital and I must speak to my midwife. I was terrified. I was offered the choice of twice weekly scans or to come in that night for an induction, with a recommendation to choose the induction. I went in for the induction (which failed) and had a caesarean 3 days later. Our son was fine and I don't know if there actually was anything 'wrong' or if they were just being cautious. Having spoken to the obstetrician in my recent pregnancy it seems the placental blood flow was the reason for the intervention rather than the growth.

I hope I haven't scared you. But that's my story. I think a lot will depend on the scan you have today. Try not to worry but you might want to make some contingency plans for your other children. And hopefully you won't need them smile Good luck.

MrsJK Mon 18-Jan-16 12:51:40

Exactly, i am totally in that camp of it being a very inaccurate method.

My MW is fairly relaxed about measurements for that very reason and my previous babes haven't been huge (7lb2 at 38 wks and 7lb15 at 39+5) so I was quite taken with her concern.

Anyways not long now to wait, just been to be assertive at the hospital ( u like me) as maternal concern has to be worth something right?!

Thank you all again

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 18-Jan-16 12:53:07

The important thing is that your baby is born safe and well. So I would always advocate taking the health professionals advice.

nightandthelight Mon 18-Jan-16 12:58:15

Know how you feel JK, mw has been so relaxed about measurements up to today but went into a bit of a flap this time sad

LouLou030783 Tue 19-Jan-16 06:14:03

Not had experience of this but with dd I was told she was going to be bigger that ds and she was 1lb and a half smaller, I think sometimes these can be quite inaccurate as u could just be all baby and very little waters hopefully you will know more after your scan good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now