Talk

Advanced search

does sex really start off labour?

(18 Posts)
mayaknew Sun 17-Jan-16 16:36:51

I know there's loads of theories about but I've heard sex is the the only.one with a bit of science behind it.

When I went into labour with ds , DH and I had had sex the night before. But I went into labour about 20 hours later, so just coincidence?

Micah Sun 17-Jan-16 16:40:08

Yes. There are prostaglandins in semen- they use prostaglandin pessaries to induce labour.

It Wont start you if youre not ready (why they usually need to supplement induction with iv), but will get you going sooner.

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 17-Jan-16 16:41:47

In theory the prostoglandins thing.
In reality no.

sepa Sun 17-Jan-16 16:41:57

Didn't work for my friend when she tried.
I think the baby will just come when it wants to and if something like sex, curry, pineapple etc worked then it was a coincidence

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 17-Jan-16 16:42:14

In MY reality - no.

CestLaVie93 Sun 17-Jan-16 16:43:33

Didn't work for us. It was just very, very awkward & quite hilarious when I was overdue 😂

Georgeofthejungle Sun 17-Jan-16 16:44:16

I had some pineapple last night and baby is staying put. Also, in Australia you can eat as much pineapple as you like whilst pregnant.

If the sex theory is as flimsy as the pineapple, I'm gonna say probably not.

katienana Sun 17-Jan-16 16:45:49

I think if any of the theories were true then you'd be advised to avoid those activities until term.

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Sun 17-Jan-16 16:50:34

It worked for me. I had a show a few days before and nothing seemed to be moving any further. I checked with a midwife that it was safe, went home, dtd and ds was born 4 hours later.

NorthernLurker Sun 17-Jan-16 17:15:34

You need to eat about 7 pineapples to get enough of whatever it is that works and if you did that you'd probably have such bellyache that would sufficiently irritate your uterus to put you in labour. Sex is more fun wink

Boogers Sun 17-Jan-16 17:23:14

Didn't work for me with DD. The theory is prostoglandin in the pessary is the same as in semen, and the oxytocin released during orgasm is the same as in the drip. Tried it purely for perfunctory measures at T+7 but nothing. Ended up being induced at T+12 with both the pessary and drip.

ToastMakesMeHappy Sun 17-Jan-16 17:25:06

Did for me grin

lanbro Sun 17-Jan-16 17:25:40

I'm going to buck the trend and say yes, worked for me twice!

Georgeofthejungle Sun 17-Jan-16 18:02:35

Good to know Northern. I do love pineapples grin

Newlywed123 Sun 17-Jan-16 19:22:50

With my previous pregnancy i was barely allowed sex as i had a cervical cerclage, when my stitch was removed at 36+6 we didnt have sex straight away due to me being sore. When we did have sex after a 2/3 mile walk labour started a couple of hours later at 37+3. She qas born within 24 hours smile

Inwaiting Sun 17-Jan-16 19:23:14

My aunt swore by (in her words not mine) 'a good sh*g got all of her children on the move'

Not sure what she constitutes as a good sh*g though blush blush blush

WoodleyPixie Sun 17-Jan-16 19:25:50

The semen need to be as close to the cervix as possible to get maximum chance of working. So let him know that if that's what you are having sex for that he needs to ejaculate right inside you.

It s the hormone that they use in induction. It won't start labour unless you are almost ready to go to labour anyway though.

Wardrobespierre Sun 17-Jan-16 19:28:26

It doesn't work at all. Of course some people have sex and labour starts x number of hours later. Thousands have sex and don't go into labour. It's pure coincidence.

No study has found a link. That prostaglandin might be in semen but not in a quantity or form that will start labour. In fact should the science mean anything, it would work better when ingested orally. But it doesn't.

It's like a heroin addict sniffing a poppy to try and get a hit. Theoretically, the opium is there. Practically, you can't benefit from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now