Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone pregnant from IVF/ICSI...

(16 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Fri 15-Jan-16 17:23:50

...firstly congratulations! Secondly, I wonder if anyone can tell me if there was anything they did/took that they think helped the IVF/ICSi to be successful. I am starting the short protocol of ICSI next week and getting worried that the cycle will not be successful. I am taking all my vitamins and have acupuncture (not that this has helped us conceive in the past two years) but I am 40, have PCOS and my husband (with stressful job in city) has sperm problem. I just want to try and do anything I can to make it work..even if it has to be the next cycle now!

allegretto Fri 15-Jan-16 17:27:33

I didn't do anything - just tried to forget about it. Not helpful I know, but it worked! Good luck!

mmmminx Fri 15-Jan-16 17:34:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littleoakhorn Fri 15-Jan-16 17:36:21

My last pregnancy was a FET from ICSU. I tried vitamins, healthy food, plenty of water and taking some time to relax in a way that didn't just leave me mentalling over whether it would work or not.

Mothersruin75 Fri 15-Jan-16 17:46:51

I'm not pregnant but had three fresh rounds of icsi where the last one worked. I was probably far more careful with the second one than with the last. I had occasional acupuncture but nothing like the regular sessions I'd done before. I was at ARGC for my last cycle and they recommended either a pint or two of milk a day and lots of protein. One of the delis on the Marylebone High Street near the clinic sold protein balls of various descriptions and I'd aim for one of these a day. I don't know if these were what made the difference but it didn't do any harm.

Littleoakhorn Fri 15-Jan-16 18:41:28

That's interesting Mothersruin because I've always craved milk in early pregnancy. That might be a good tip OP!

Lilybo Fri 15-Jan-16 18:51:23

I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant from our first cycle of ivf after 3.5 yrs ttc. Still waiting for our scan in a couple of weeks to check all is OK, but at the 8 week scan was all healthy so trying to keep positive.

I tried eating more protein, drinking lots of water and milk. Generally eating healthy (although not madly) and taking pregnancy vitamins.

I didn't suffer any adverse side effects (unlike on clomid), although we were on a short protocol.

We tried to stay chilled throughout - i also had reflexology (but had been having this for 2 yrs with no success).

Try not to worry about the procedures themselves - the egg collection really didn't hurt - the worst thing was the cannula which they could not get in the back of my hand (I silently cried - very mature!). The transfer was painless also - the worst thing was being desperate for a wee.

We took a weeks holiday afterwards to chill out.

We also both tried to be positive after transfer - talking to the potential baby. Every night i visualised the cells dividing and baby embedding and growing and through to birth and beyond.
It was really hard to stay positive as after a very good response to the drugs, successful collection and fertilisation we were surprised to only have 1 medium quality and 7 low quality. But it only takes one!

Really hope its successful for you - good luck smile

cheapredwine Fri 15-Jan-16 19:10:14

I am! Currently 15+1. This was our first private cycle after two failed NHS ones. Do you mean more in terms of diet and what I did? Or the clinic? For us am certain it was a combination of very personalised protocol and treatment for my stupidly strong immune system. In terms of diet etc, try not to worry (yeah I know, easier said than done!), lots of fluids (I mean lots!) and focus on protein. Eat regularly every 2-3 hours and once you have had transfer treat it asthough you're pregnant already re foods to avoid. Happy to answer any more specific questions. Good luck OP

Craftycakey15 Fri 15-Jan-16 19:45:23

Thank you all for your replies. They have given me hope!

I have been trying not to think about it but have started sleeping badly so I think I am quite nervous really. I am glad to hear the egg collection didnt really hurt Lilybo - I'm even dreading the womb scrape/scan on Monday as I find these things painful.

I wasn't told about the milk. I will start drinking a pint from tomorrow and definitely buy some protein balls! I hope its not too late. I start the injections next Thursday all being well at my scan on Monday.

cheapredwine Fri 15-Jan-16 21:12:01

EC is rather nice if you have the full sedation - it's a lovely sleep! I found the scratch quite unpleasant when I had it when conscious but it's over quickly. If your climic recommends painkillers an hour or so beforehand, I'd recommend taking them. Ideally a litre of milk (just under 2 pints) plus high protein. It's not too late. The protein is to help the follicles grow. You can try high protein drinks but avoid ones containing soya - Upbeat are good, you can get them in Co-op and Waitrose, some Boots, not sure where else but they're good as they have 20g of protein. Avoid caffeine as much as you can. Lots of water during stims - I was on 3.5 litres.

sparechange Fri 15-Jan-16 22:28:33

Good luck! It sounds like you are doing everything right

In all honesty, if it was as easy as making a lifestyle change, everyone would do it and success rates would go through the roof...

I've had 2 ICSI/IVF pregnancies. One was after clean living - no booze, gluten, stress, excessive exercise etc and most of all, optimism
The other was after a few failed attempts and weeks of much booze, lots of gluten, couch potato living and zero hope.

So I know that isn't a scientific study, but I think the best you can do look ache yourself. Don't run a marathon, fall of a horse and do drugs. Beyond that, it will happen if it happens...
Good luck and keep us posted. Willing everything to work for you flowers

scoobyloobyloo Sat 16-Jan-16 07:43:15

Currently pregnant from icsi at argc. I can second the milk but only start when you start your stimming drugs and finish past test day when you are out of any ohss possibilities.

I also had acupuncture, twice during stoimming and before and after each transfer. It's now clinically proven in the bmj to improve conception chances.

Only other thing, take som time off work. Because I was in London and a long way from home I had the entire stimming period off right until test day. It def helps to be able to relax. Best of luck with it smile

Maurice169 Sat 16-Jan-16 09:36:17

Hi I'm 46 and 34 weeks preg with donor egg IVF, amazingly worked first time. I took Pregnacare multivitamin for trying to conceive. Watched my diet, not too much sugary stuff, no alcohol. My daughter and I did plenty of exercise, cycling, swimming, walking the dog. Also just relaxing, trying not to think about it too much?! I also Googled what I can do to improve my womb lining. Also making sure I took hormone meds properly, I bought a cheep digital watch and set the alarm so I wouldn't miss any. Good luck!

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Jan-16 15:54:34

I am 7+ 3 after our second cycle of own- egg IVF. I'm 42 and DH did have low morphology but it improved to 7% before the IVF.

We got 7 eggs (4 last time), 6 fertilised and 3 made it to day 5 blastocyst. As you are 40 you can have up to 3 embryos transferred but not all clinics tell you this. Worth asking about.

DH took 100mg Vit C and co enzyme Q10 daily. However the lead in for sperm improvement is about 3 months so it's too late to affect the cycle you are about to start.

If you have not read it I suggest you read "it starts with the Egg" by Rebecca Fett- it's available as a kindle download on Amazon so you could get it instantly. She is a biochemist and IVF patient who goes into a lot of detail about supplements.

I took co enzyme q10 (ubiquinol form), DHEA and Melatonin as she recommended. However I have no idea if they were what made the difference as I also had a higher stimms dose on my second cycle. Made me feel better to be doing something though. I have a friend on a conception board whose IVF consultant recommended DHEA immediately. If you google CRH in New York they have lots of info about it on their website. But do be very careful about supplements and discuss with your consultant.

Interested to hear about the milk - I did not drink extra milk but do drink a fair amount already.

I have no idea if this pregnancy will go the distance (scan next week to check for heartbeat) but it's as good an outcome as I could hope for so far.

Good luck!

JessieMcJessie Sat 16-Jan-16 15:55:18

Sorry , DH took 1000mg vit c, not 100.

Jasmine75 Sat 16-Jan-16 18:40:17

Currently 19+5 after fet. The scratch is fine just pop some paracetamol before you have it. EC is tiring more than anything. A hot water bottle was a godsend on my bloated ovaries before it. Also I'd read about keeping your abdomen warm..?

I had acupuncture during the fet cycle and I really think that helped esp the post transfer ones

Otherwise just take it easy, and get lots of tlc from oh ☺️
I got pretty much every side effect from each of the meds but in the long term you're on the, such a short period of time you soon forget about them.

Hubby took high dose vit c and zinc. I took good multi vit and omega 3. I liked the zita west hypnotherapy cd she does relaxation and visualisation throughout the process.

All the very best of luck xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now