Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Itching, please make it stop!

(15 Posts)
kaymondo Thu 14-Jan-16 20:11:52

I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant with DC3. For about the last week or so I've been really itchy, it started fairly mild, but within a few days got to the point where I just can't sit still. I ended up going to the OOH GP last Sunday as I couldn't stand it any longer. He ruled out obstetric cholititus (sp) but didn't really say what he thought it was. He prescribed me some mild steroid cream and some antihistamines and sent me on my way.

Now 5 days later and I'm still really struggling. It's manageable during the day when I'm moving around and distracted but at night I just can't sleep! It's driving me crazy! I'm taking tepid oilatum baths and using cocoa butter, along with antihistamine before bed but nothing really seems to be making much of a difference. I have a rash which looks like lots of little raised bumps under the skin. It's mainly my legs and forearms, but also on my bump and lower back.

Is this just one of those horrible pregnancy things that I'm just going to have to live with, or does anyone have any suggestions? I didn't have anything like this with my previous pregnancies and it's really getting me down!

BatMobile Thu 14-Jan-16 20:50:10

I'd get back to the Dr ASAP.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:58:02

Not to alarm, OP, but itching in the hands and feet can be a sign of kidney problems. As you mention your legs and forearms, I'd go back to the GP asap.

kaymondo Thu 14-Jan-16 21:06:26

Thanks, I will pop back to the GP this week as would feel better speaking to my own rather than one-off with OOH. My hands and feet are okay though, it's largely the top of my thighs and my shins that are the problem.

BatMobile Thu 14-Jan-16 21:08:34

I agree with your point about the OOH, but don't wait to see your own. Take an emergency appointment at your own surgery with a different GP if you can (I would have to wait a bloody fortnight to see my preferred GP hmm ). Get there tomorrow, and let us know how you get on flowers

kamillaw Thu 14-Jan-16 21:20:23

I would hope for some blood tests to rule OC out totally 17 weeks is early mind you. ( had it with 2 pregnancies) could be hormonal. Ive Had a terribly itchy scalp and eczema this time round also DC3 not something I had before!

Suzietwo Thu 14-Jan-16 21:25:53

My excema always flares up with pregnancy.. What level of steroids have you got? Also I use antihistamine at night which helps a lot

HappyInL0nd0n Thu 14-Jan-16 21:31:07

You poor thing - how annoying. I was itching really badly for a few weeks, but E45 itch relief ointment (http://www.e45.co.uk/our-products/adults/eczema/flare-up-relief/e45-itch-relief-cream/) soothed the worst of it, and it had blown over by around week 20/21 if I recall correctly.

Yours does sound more serious though, so as the others said, a return to the GP sounds like the most sensible option.

Alwaysfrank Thu 14-Jan-16 21:44:03

It sounds like it might be PUPPP (google it) which I had in my last pregnancy. I'm really sorry to say that nothing helped and it finally went within about 2-3 weeks of giving birth. I had it from the top of the bump down, front and back. It was truly horrible but not "serious" just incredibly uncomfortable. I'm afraid in my case once OC had been ruled out no one was very interested it or had any effective treatment to suggest.

Monkeyinshoes Thu 14-Jan-16 21:49:26

The fact you have a rash too makes me think it's PUPPPS (wiki link)

I had it with my first, mostly on my bump. It went after pregnancy and I didn't get it with my second. The only thing I found that helped was cold things...cold showers and keeping creams in the fridge and putting them on cold helped stop the itching for a little while.

Gobbolino6 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:54:03

You cannot rule out cholestasis without blood tests, and it is perfectly possible at 17ww.

gennibugs Thu 14-Jan-16 21:59:00

Yes it could be PUPP. I had it whilst pregnant with DD and whilst not serious i nearly went mad with the itching. It went once I had DD. If it is PUPP you have my sympathies as its horrid.

kaymondo Thu 14-Jan-16 22:00:21

Okay, thanks for the advice all. Will get into the docs in the morning and see what they say. From having a read around I'm thinking it may well be PUPPS which is not good news for me for next 5 months but will see what the docs say sad

gennibugs Thu 14-Jan-16 22:01:25

If PUPP the only thing that gave me any temp relief was menthol aqueous cream which I kept in the fridge to make it even colder!

kaymondo Fri 15-Jan-16 17:16:45

Just to update, been to the docs this afternoon. She thinks it is likely to be PUPPS (although apparently this is more common in a first pregnancy and presents later on) or just generic pregnancy rash. However she's booked me in for a blood test next week to make sure it's nothing more untoward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now