Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When's best to start looking/buying prams furnature cots etc

(9 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Wed 13-Jan-16 15:38:42

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and DH and I really want to start looking at prams and nursery furnature. I realise it's so early but I'd like to get some ideas on what we like. Not to buy anything I just really want to start looking! We was going to pop out to our local retail park with babies r us and mammas and pappas on tonight.
When did you start looking and buying

HD18 Wed 13-Jan-16 15:45:29

Hello, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have already bought the furniture (gets delivered this week) as it was in the sale with a lot of money off. It won't be going up for a few months yet but we couldn't say no to the £500 saving. Haven't bought the pram yet as the one we want never seems to go on sale so will wait until nearer the time to do that. I would say buy whenever you feel ready to.

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 13-Jan-16 15:57:10

We've been given a cot and have bought our pram this week. Need to buy a mattress but I'm waiting because baby won't be in the cot for ages! I'm 27 weeks.

brookeberry Wed 13-Jan-16 16:18:47

I think it's whatever feels right to you. I researched constantly from day one! And now that I'm 27 weeks I've started to look in the 'real world' and will buy the pram, cot etc in the next couple of weeks.

ThePug Wed 13-Jan-16 16:51:15

I think I ordered stuff around 24 weeks as there were good sales on at the time (black friday/pre Christmas) and this let us assemble the furniture over the Christmas holiday. Doesn't hurt to look now, but I'd recommend not buying anything at full price yet as you have plenty of time to look out for special offers. Useful to have looked so you know what you like if a good offer comes along online.

With the furniture, remember that if you're getting a cot the baby probably won't be sleeping in there until its 6 months old so you've got almost a year until you'll be using it!

Also worth remembering that manufacturer guarantees start running as soon as you buy the items. If say a pram comes with a one year guarantee, half that time will have gone by the time you start using it. We've ordered pram & car seat from an independent retailer who will keep them for you until you want to collect so your guarantee only runs from that date. Picking them up next weekend when I'll be 33 weeks.

Daffodil90 Wed 13-Jan-16 17:00:06

We started buying straight away. I kept an eye on all the big retailer websites and stores and got everything on sale/discounted and in the case of the pram got it on sale with an extra 10% off by ordering it at the mothercare expectant parent event. It's really good actually, own branded Roam set comes with free car seat and often on sale.

Also word to the wise if you shop at Sainsburys and collect nectar points, these can be spent in Argos....I'd been saving them for ages and had £67.50 worth which I took off the Tommee Tippee closer to nature electric steriliser/bottle warmer/bottles/cases set that's usually £150, on sale at £69.99 and so cost me the princely sum of £2.49.

Don't know where you are in the country but Mothercare have an outlet in Rotherham with previous season stock in, everything is brilliant prices and you can pick up some good bargains, only really great if you're somewhere in South Yorkshire though.

Got the cot at about 16 weeks too, we got it and checked the parts and it stayed in bits until a fortnight before due date because the room wasn't ready yet but we saved £132 on the one we wanted.

You'll save a lot of money by looking now and striking while the irons hot smile

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Wed 13-Jan-16 18:20:53

I'm 14+1 and picked up quite a few bits of the nursery furniture last week in the sales. I plan to put it up straight away when it arrives next week so if there are any problems with it I'm not dealing with it close to EDD. Also been to the retail parks to look at prams etc and planning to purchase one at the baby show in February. If you see discounts/ bargains definitely go for it, there's no right or wrong time to shop it's just what suits you

sepa Wed 13-Jan-16 18:21:55

I got my pram at I think 24 weeks due to it being in the sale. Furniture I had due to having a tiny room at my mums house and only kids furniture fitting. We decorated this at 28 weeks I think. Moses basket we were given and cot bed is yet to be ordered (I'm 31+5)

Really whenever is most comfortable with you. I wouldn't have anything bought before 20 weeks but this is because I am suffering with bad pregnancy paranoia my friends literally hit the shops after their 12 week scan (one was actually 16 weeks though and didn't know)

bippitybopityboo Wed 13-Jan-16 21:53:32

Thankyou ladies we got some good nursery ideas and looked at a few prams. We bought our chicco next to me cot cause we have wanted that since day one and mothercare was the only place that had the silver. We will keep looking till were ready to buy with the other stuff grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now