Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby not moving

(77 Posts)
TwllBach Tue 12-Jan-16 19:46:21

I am 24 weeks pregnant and have been feeling him move for ages. He is very active, especially after I have eaten certain foods or had some apple juice and definitely when I first wake up or am going to bed.

It occurred to me that I haven't felt him move at all today and I am not sure if I did yesterday...I can't hand on heart remember the last time that I did feel him. Is it too early in the pregnancy for me to be worried about that? please say it is

PeachPantaloons Tue 12-Jan-16 19:47:29

I would call the midwife tomorrow sweet, just to be sure smile

ChicagoMD Tue 12-Jan-16 19:48:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Tue 12-Jan-16 19:50:17

You need to phone your midwife or hospital now lovely. If he's usually very active and hasn't moved for as much as 48 hours then you need to be checked out ASAP. The chances are, he's just moved position or something but you need to make sure. Don't wait until tomorrow.

Spotsondots Tue 12-Jan-16 19:50:28

What chicago says. Call tonight and get checked.

Wigeon Tue 12-Jan-16 19:50:34

Yes, I'd call the labour ward now. (Or community midwives if you have an out of .phours number?) And have a sugary or cold drink to see if that helps. Don't wait until tomorrow. They won't think you are being silly.

TwllBach Tue 12-Jan-16 19:50:41

My midwives work 9-5 as far as I am aware...is it normal for one to be on call? Should there be a number to call in my maternity folder?

PeachPantaloons Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:23

Sorry guys, definitely take other poster's advice over mine! Call now, not tomorrow!

Spotsondots Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:25

Yes there should be an out of hours line. It varies depending on area. If unsure just call the labour ward. They can point you in the right direction

MyNameIsSuz Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:32

They usually tell you to have a cold fizzy drink, like a coke or something sugary, and lie down on your left side for an hour just focusing on movements. I'd do that and give them a ring if you're still worried.

PeachPantaloons Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:38

Delivery suite can help

TwllBach Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:52

Sorry that's a stupid thing to say isn't it. Of course midwives work round the clock!

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:52

If you are unsure who to call, call your local delivery suite or labour ward for advice. They will answer the phone at any time of the day or night.

Heavenscent86 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:51:56

Everything is probably fine. Baby is very small and probably tucked away somewhere but I do think you should call the midwife today and they will check you out. They did the same for me when my baby had a quiet couple of days.

Wigeon Tue 12-Jan-16 19:52:12

I don't remember having an on call number, so I'd call the maternity ward of which ever hospital you are going to. Or your nearest hospital. They are there 24 hrs. smile They honestly won't think you are wasting their time.

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 12-Jan-16 19:52:13

My mw said that 28 weeks is when I'm to start monitoring movement however I've felt my baby move since 16 weeks and I'd be concerned if I didn't feel anything every day. Have a cold drink and lay on your left hand side-if you feel nothing after that then I'd give them a call. More for your own peace of mind though. Xxx

ChicagoMD Tue 12-Jan-16 19:52:39

sepa Tue 12-Jan-16 19:55:30

You will need to call triage when out of hours. This should be somewhere on your notes (I think in the front page) As your before 28 weeks they will just check the heart beat with a Doppler thinggy I would think.
At 24 weeks the baby still has room to move about and hide so it may not be anything to worry about. Always best to get movement checked though

TwllBach Tue 12-Jan-16 19:56:50

I am on hold to the maternity ward now

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 12-Jan-16 19:58:13

Keep us posted TwllBach

ChicagoMD Tue 12-Jan-16 19:59:03

Crumpet1 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:00:33

have you been busy today? He could have been moving in a different position and you've not noticed. Have an ice cold drink and lie down for a while as you call the labour ward.
I've had these scares in both pregnancies. They've been fine both times, just having a lazy moment! Better to be safe than sorry.

Crumpet1 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:01:01

X post. Glad you have rang.

YouBastardSockBalls Tue 12-Jan-16 20:01:29

Hope it's ok. They don't sometimes monitor until 28 weeks but they should take you in and at least listen via Doppler.

TwllBach Tue 12-Jan-16 20:03:40

She was very nice, told me to come in if I wanted to and she would have a listen, and also to have a drink etc first just to see! I apologised and she said not to worry they were there to reassure us and make sure we are ok. Midwives are so nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now