Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal test - between when and when?

(7 Posts)
Luckystar1 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:02:51

Can anyone confirm what is the latest date the nuchal test can be undertaken?

I am 12 weeks on Friday but still haven't had a scan date. My hospital said I had until 14+6 but the Fetal Medicine Centre (where I've now cracked and booked privately!) says 13+6, and some places online suggest 14+1...

Fifi10 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:08:57

NICE guidelines are here:

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg62/chapter/guidance#screening-for-fetal-anomalies

It states that:
1.7.2.3 New The 'combined test' (nuchal translucency, beta‑human chorionic gonadotrophin, pregnancy‑associated plasma protein‑A) should be offered to screen for Down's syndrome between 11 weeks 0 days and 13 weeks 6 days. For women who book later in pregnancy the most clinically and cost‑effective serum screening test (triple or quadruple test) should be offered between 15 weeks 0 days and 20 weeks 0 days.

Hoviscats Tue 12-Jan-16 16:11:12

If I was you I would go private as necessary and get it done asap. I thought 13.5 was latest recommended.

With dc1 I had mine at 13.5 and it was inconclusive as baby was too big. Meant they gave me my risk factors based on the 16week blood tests instead. They came out as high risk so I ended up having an amino which was thankfully clear.

Very stressful time and my consultant said it could probably have been avoided if I had had my scan earlier.

Am sure my experience is a worse case scenario but consequently I just wouldn't take the risk.

I am pregnant with dc2 now and have actually opted to pay for a harmony test to try to avoid all of the above entirely!

Good luck whatever you decide to do! smile

Hoviscats Tue 12-Jan-16 16:12:45

Sorry to clarify no idea if it was because baby was too big or if it is just due to developmental stage. Either way it was too late to be effective.

Luckystar1 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:19:21

Thank you both! I had to get the 16 week bloods with DS too due to his presentation at 12 weeks. I'm so glad I've booked now!! I'll be at FMC at 12+6 so hopefully they will be able to do it.

I've been so unbelievably let down by my care so far this time round I'm very annoyed, but I will do what I can for now!

Thank you!

KittyandTeal Tue 12-Jan-16 16:28:22

At 12+6 the fmc will easily get a decent scan I reckon. Interestingly 12+6 was what I was told by the fmc team at kings as the exact day they'd ideally see me in subsequent pregnancies.

It's terrible that you've not been booked by the nhs yet, how stressful. Good job you can afford private scans!

Luckystar1 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:34:48

Phew thank you that's very reassuring!

Oh there was a whole episode with the midwife not having sent my referral to the hospital that took 3 weeks to resolve...!

Yes, we are very lucky. Thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now