Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chemical pregnancy at 39

(19 Posts)
NorthLady10 Tue 12-Jan-16 07:27:17

Hi,
I've just had a chemical pregnancy and I'm 39 years old. I got pregnant within 3 months of trying, so that's good but within 8 days I had an early miscarriage.

I was wondering if anyone of a similar age to me had experienced the same thing and then went on to have a successful pregnancy? I can't help wondering if this is a result of my age!!
Many thanks

Sunshine511 Tue 12-Jan-16 08:01:06

Hi there, I am younger than you so can't provide the answer you are looking for. I just wanted to say I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you this time. I had a chemical pregnancy and then fell pregnant again the following month and I'm now 21 weeks. My understanding is that so many things have to happen a certain way for the pregnancy to actually stick (if that makes sense). It's so easy for things to go wrong in the very very early days. Please stay positive. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Chemical pregnancies are quite common so I wouldn't assume it's your age right away. flowers x

Runner05 Tue 12-Jan-16 08:01:20

I'm a little younger (34) but I had a chemical in my first month of trying then went on to get pregnant in my second month. Now 7+3 and enjoying morning sickness confused

Don't worry, just keep trying. It may be that that egg/sperm weren't quite right but the fact that you conceived and bargain implantation is very positive smile

Runningupthathill82 Tue 12-Jan-16 08:09:19

I had a chemical pregnancy in my second month of trying and then got pregnant "properly" in the 3rd month. Now 38 weeks.

I'm slightly younger than you, at 33.

ProbablyMe Tue 12-Jan-16 08:21:02

I had a miscarriage at 16 weeks at 40 and a chemical pregnancy 2 months later also at 40. I'm now 41 and 22 weeks pregnant. I genuinely don't think it was an age thing and neither does my consultant - crappy things just happen sometimes.

NorthLady10 Tue 12-Jan-16 10:53:57

Thank you everyone for your lovely responses and congratulations to you all! ProbablyMe, what a rollercoaster but I'm glad it has worked out for you.
I will see what happens but I certainly feel more hopeful!!
Thanks

brookeberry Tue 12-Jan-16 12:32:55

Hi North, this is exactly what happened to me. I got pregnant after 3 months of trying and had a chemical pregnancy around a week later. This was followed by 2 more, and now I'm 26 weeks pregnant at 42!

Things can happen at any age and anything is possible smile

TheGreaterGood Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:33

I've had 3 previous miscarriages (1 chem, 2 MMC at 8 and 10 weeks) between the ages of 39 and 41. Am now approaching 42 and 14 weeks witha live one! We has tests but there was nothing specifically wrong...put down to 'bad luck and age'. Unfortunately MCs are more common the older we get. Best of luck - hope it works out for you.

NorthLady10 Tue 12-Jan-16 13:45:41

Thank you brookberry and TheGreaterGood Glad it all worked out for you both. I was going to ask if they found a reason for it happening and my doctor said the same thing really. You just get excited when you get the positive test and then it's no more! That said, I'd rather it happened within the week than later on as it must be devastating.
Thank you for your messages, they are really encouraging.

FourForYouGlenCoco Tue 12-Jan-16 14:42:44

You have every chance of a good outcome next time. To be honest I know age does increase risk but I think there is a huge 'luck of the draw' element. I had a mmc at 13 weeks at 19, my DD at 22, a mmc at 11 weeks and a chemical pregnancy at 25, and now nearly 12 weeks and all seems ok - but I'm now on my 5th pregnancy and so far only have 1 child! But we got there in the end (hopefully!) and so will you! Best of luck for next time. Also I had mmc in Aug, CP in October and fell pg straight away with this baby. I think it's quite common to fall straight away so fingers crossed!

NorthLady10 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:24:49

Thank you FourForYouGlenCoco. That's a fair old pregnancy experience! Congratulations on your pregnancy now, that's lovely news.
I guess also it show's that a chemical pregnancy can happen to anyone really. I am sure it happens more than we realise too as some people wouldn't even test early and would be none the wiser if something went wrong. I was told that years ago the doctor did the pregnancy test and it wasn't carried out until 8weeks! Maybe that's the way I should go!!!!

dats Tue 12-Jan-16 22:28:22

Me! Miscarriage at 6 weeks, when I was 40. Took about 6 months to conceive again and second time lucky - very smooth pregnancy and birth, when I was 41. Now just turned 43 and 13+2 and all fine so far. No-one has ever mentioned my decrepitude - except various assurances from midwives and scan receptionists saying 'that's not old, we've had plenty of women of 45' etc.

Sorry you've had to go through an early loss; it's a grim experience but there's no reason why you can't go on to have a different outcome next time. Lots of luck :-)

NorthLady10 Wed 13-Jan-16 04:59:17

Congratulations dats that's wonderful news and so good to hear, thank you! All the best with your latest pregnancy!

stumblymonkey Wed 13-Jan-16 13:01:34

A close friend of mine who is 42 had five miscarriages in 12 months....she then welcomed her little girl to the world in December. I know it's difficult but try not to worry too much....something like 80% of pregnancies end up not sticking (mostly without the mothers even knowing they were pregnant)

Luckygirlcharlie Wed 13-Jan-16 14:40:59

No chemical preg but had successful pregnancy after only a month of trying at 38 and 4 mths and another exactly the same at 39 and 10 mths old! Awaiting the results of that pregnancy to come screaming into the world first week of March! Friends older than me am have similar stories. Don't fixate too much on your age. Yes it increases some risks but people of all ages have so many issues trying to get pregnant and most go on to have successful pregnancies. Best of luck X

lovefairylights Wed 13-Jan-16 18:29:55

We started trying for our 2nd when i was 39!

At about 4 months I was super excited - had suspicions I was pg and did a test but it was an old one from my first pg and it looked like there was a line, wasn't able to get another test for a couple of days and that was a definitive negative - was gutted. Eventually about a week later than my period was due I had the period from hell - so am thinking that was a chemical pregnancy.

2 months later my period was late again but this time I waited - didn't want the emotional rollercoaster again. And sure enough about 6/7 days late another period from hell.

Then the next month again no period - but this time I waited till 7 days late - still no period but another test and yippee! I am now sat here 19 weeks pregnant so fingers crossed for you that soon you get the same...

The only thing I would add is that if unfortunately this does go on for a long time please get it checked out. A thread on this site highlighted that late periods and very heavy/flooding type periods could be a sign of the peri-menopause, which is a possibility at our age. After reading lots it seemed if you don't have the positive on an early test then symptoms can be similar for both. But the good news that i did read was that even if it is a sign of peri-menopause you are still fertile and can get pregnant (because some women that don't want to get pg think they can stop contraception)

Good luck

NorthLady10 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:30:59

Thank you stumblymonkey and luckygirlcharlie that's really encouraging to hear.

I think these days you get bombarded with articles on 'after the age of 35 you may as well not bother because you've got no chance' type articles, but you're quite right, you shouldn't get transfixed on age.

I had a baby shortly after I turned 38 (we were only trying for 3 months) so I know I can get pregnant. It didn't cross my mind that anything would go wrong with my 2nd pregnancy, so it came as a bit of a shock! I was only really pregnant for just over a week, so it could have been worse and in a way I was lucky that I lost it so early on.

The more I read, I'm just putting it down to one of those things. Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Liveinthepresent Wed 13-Jan-16 18:41:06

Hi another positive tale if you still need them - had DC1 at 39.
TTC no 2 for about six months then had a chemical. The next month I was pregnant and had DC2 at 41.

As others have said there is a huge luck of the draw but definitely try not to dwell on your age - you are TTC now and can't go back in time to change your age.
I know many friends who have had success at this age it isn't all doom and gloom !
Good luck

NorthLady10 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:55:45

Thank you lovefairylights and congratulations on your pregnancy, that's great news!
Yes, the doctor said to see how I go for a couple of months and come back if I want and he'll do some blood tests, although he didn't feel it was something we needed to rush into.
I think the key is just to keep calm and chill out, but it's great to hear all the positive experiences.
All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now