Talk

Advanced search

gaviscon

(22 Posts)
applesvpears Mon 11-Jan-16 20:39:45

I have been suffering with an acidy heartburn type feeling and someone gave me some Gaviscon the other day. She said it helped her when pregnant so I didn't think anything of it. Today I was taking some and a guy at work shouted "you can't take that when pregnant!!!" Now I am panicking ! Googled a bit but yknow Google... no definitive answer. I am pretty sure I don't need to worry but if anyone can back me up that would be reassuring confused

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 20:41:12

My sister got it prescribed and drank it by the bottle when she was pregnant

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Mon 11-Jan-16 20:42:11

Yep I drank it straight from the bottle X

scaredmum2be Mon 11-Jan-16 20:42:32

It's safe

Pedestriana Mon 11-Jan-16 20:44:02

Like Sometimes, I drank directly from the bottle particularly in the last three months. It's fine.

unimaginativename13 Mon 11-Jan-16 20:47:29

Doesn't touch the sides in the end - gulp away

QforCucumber Mon 11-Jan-16 20:50:15

I'm 7 months and hAve gone through a bottle a month since about 4 weeks, gp prescribes it for the heartburn. Tell colleague to stop trying to panic you.

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 11-Jan-16 20:50:57

Gaviscon is a pregnant woman's bread and butter. Well, this pregnant woman's bread and butter grin

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:03:08

www.gaviscon.co.uk/heartburn-indigestion/pregnancy/ - tells you which products you can use

wonkylegs Mon 11-Jan-16 21:03:17

Completely fine and a lifesaver for many pregnant women.

CarShare Mon 11-Jan-16 21:07:33

I'm a pharmacist and have others have said, it's safe in pregnancy. It has some sodium in it so best avoided if BP is on the high side but otherwise fine. I find the double action gaviscon the best.

applesvpears Mon 11-Jan-16 21:11:29

Thank you so much everyone. Gawd I mean one old guy decides to panic me as if I am downing a pint of brandy !!hmm

fredandme123 Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:15

I drank prescribed Gaviscon advance by the truck load durning pregnancy, think the dual action one was a no go tho (no idea why!)

Soooosie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:13:30

I used to swig it from the bottle. However giving up wheat stopped it completely. Only ever got it back when I slipped up and had bread/cake occasionally.

1frenchfoodie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:54:41

Rennies are also okay in pregnancy and work for me. Not anti Gaviscon - they are just a bit more subtle to take on my commute.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Jan-16 22:05:38

I used Rennies as I hated the gloopiness of liquid gaviscon

CityMole Mon 11-Jan-16 22:27:16

How dare he make comment- it's absolutely none of his business in the first place, never mind the fact that he was wrong and frightened you unnecessarily.
I can't bear the taste of the stuff but every now and then can be found swigging it out of the bottle in desperation!

Assquatch Mon 11-Jan-16 22:29:48

Gaviskon, rennies and tums are all safe

Radiatorvalves Mon 11-Jan-16 22:42:06

Revolting stuff, but I too drank it by the big bottle. If they sold it in 5litre buckets I'd have gone for it. Strangely I've not touched a drop since I stopped being pg!

CurlsLDN Mon 11-Jan-16 22:44:33

I needed it but couldn't bear it. Found tums pastilles much better, do the same job but actually taste nice, like slightly crap sweets

ChicaMomma Tue 12-Jan-16 11:13:49

Why is it only ever men who find the need to comment?
Male colleague of mine chastised me for having a coffee this morning. Was going to say ''ah look,it's only a 1 shot cappucino and it's the only caffeine i have each day, bugger off'' but i just smiled and moved on. Bugger off!

PS also swigging gaviscon by the bottle- only ever need it at night when i go to bed so have a full 'swig' which lasts me the nite.

villainousbroodmare Tue 12-Jan-16 11:18:53

grin @ slightly crap sweets - exactly!
I actually found that very slowly eating plain white bread helped a lot with heartburn. That, and giving birth wink which put an end to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now