Talk

Advanced search

I don't know whether or not to go to hospital!

(13 Posts)
Boosiehs Mon 11-Jan-16 17:11:42

Not sure what to do. Am 38 weeks just about. Have an ELCS booked next weds but today been feeling terrible. Bad back ache all day getting worse and tightening bump.

I don't want to waste everyone's time going in if its not really labour (husband and toddler at home), but at the same time I don't want to leave it too late so I can't get the ELCS. Reasons for ELCS Baby v large on scans and previous shoulder dystocia. Traumatic prior birth with lots of interventions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Mon 11-Jan-16 17:15:23

Can you call them to chat it through?

Buttercup27 Mon 11-Jan-16 17:16:15

My mw used the motto if in doubt give us a shout. She said they would always prefer to see you/talk on the phone rather than you worrying at home. Can you give your local maternity ward a call for advice, at least to put your mind at rest if nothing else.

Flossiesmummy Mon 11-Jan-16 17:16:48

A quick call can't hurt.

Junosmum Mon 11-Jan-16 17:23:33

Call maternity assessment, they'll advise you.

KitKat1985 Mon 11-Jan-16 17:28:55

I'd call for advice.

However if they are contractions the pain will be coming at regular intervals rather than being a continuous ache.

canyou Mon 11-Jan-16 17:32:46

Makebrew and then ring them, get your bag and notes and plse dont wait. I did and had Dd delivered in an ambulance so I always say move fast if your are in doubt smile

MrsJK Mon 11-Jan-16 17:46:16

Any update OP? Hopefully they were helpful on the phone thanks

SnackPlease Mon 11-Jan-16 17:50:29

I had exactly this and called the labour ward for advice. I'm also booked for an ELCS. They told me not to come in unless I started contracting or had any loss of water or a show. They were adamant that I should ring back ASAP if anything changes, however. Hopefully you've rung yours too and got some helpful advice. Let us know how you get on.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 11-Jan-16 18:18:10

I'm 38 weeks and feel the same - strong Braxton Hicks and back pain. It's not labour though.
I'd call the mat unit if I were you, see what they say.

Boosiehs Mon 11-Jan-16 19:03:37

Thanks all. Things seem to have calmed down a bit so I'm holding off. Just thoroughly pissed off and fed up!

Will phone triage if things kick off again. I'm paranoid about not getting there in time.....

Doesn't help that the baby's movements are crippling me!

rallytog1 Tue 12-Jan-16 10:39:29

I'm in the same boat - 38 weeks with dc2 and having elcs next Thursday.

I've had a lot of pains that feel like contractions, but I think that happens more if you've had a baby before. A couple of times I've been on the verge of calling the labour ward for advice but it always dies down - but as pps have said, it's always better to call if you're in doubt and then you can get expert advice on whether to go in.

Boosiehs Tue 12-Jan-16 12:48:38

I can't wait for the ELCS! Although am scared of the surgery at the same time it's the lesser of two evils!

Good luck tog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now