Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone Else Had 'Leakage'?

(7 Posts)
brookeberry Sun 10-Jan-16 21:06:46

I'm 26 weeks and over the last week I've had 3 or 4 noticeable 'leakages' (for want of a better word!). Not a lot, but enough to notice when it's happening. It's completely clear and I thought this was normal in pregnancy until someone mentioned amniotic fluid as a possiblity! I'm now paranoid about it. confused I have a midwife appointment this Tuesday but I'm feeling low now after being calm and fairly confident the last while.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? Thanks smile

zannyminxoxox Sun 10-Jan-16 21:10:35

I have leaks but it's usually urine maybe tmi but have you smelt it. If it is bothering you too much give your midwife a ring just to put your mind at rest.

EdithWeston Sun 10-Jan-16 21:12:11

Yes, you need to tell your MW about this, so they can assess the likelihood of it being amniotic fluid and work out what to do if it it.

If it's just high level of secretions, you have to just live with it, I'm afraid (try unscented liners or towels if you need to contain it).

If there's any chance it's urinary incontinence, then the first thing to try is pelvic floor exercises. MW can advise, if you've not done them before.

brookeberry Mon 11-Jan-16 09:26:10

Thanks zanny and edith . Yes it seems to be unscented confused I just wasn't sure if this was another normal pregnancy delight, or something to worry about. I'm convinced my bump looks smaller so I've gone with the latter - worry!!

Junosmum Mon 11-Jan-16 09:32:38

Smell of- spermy/ sweet is amniotic fluid, 'fresh' or acidic (bit like natural yoghurt) is cervical mucus, odourless is urine until 2/3 hours later, when it will smell like urine!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 11-Jan-16 09:38:27

I've had a couple of fluid leaks in this pregnancy in the last week (I'm 36 weeks). They were quite small and odourless. It happened in my sons pregnancy too and my doula said it was urine. I have to say it didn't look or smell like urine but it is what the professionals tend to think.

brookeberry Mon 11-Jan-16 11:01:40

Thanks juno (amazing info) and whoknew. I never thought it would be reassuring to think I've just wee-ed myself grin

I'll get it checked out by my midwife tomorrow and then I'll find something else to worry about smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now