Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

student nurse

(13 Posts)
emilyrosa94 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:17:14

Im about 8 weeks off finishing my 1st year of nursing and am about 4 weeks pregnant, i live with my mum still, but want to move out before I have the baby, i do have a partner who is self seriously stressing out im only 21 and dont understand benefits and all the rest of it !

my question is are there any student's out there who could tell me what kind of figures were talking?? and would i get a lot less if i moved in with my boyfriend? what did you guys get?

please help !

NerrSnerr Sat 09-Jan-16 14:21:26

If you moved in with your partner it would depend on how much money he earns. Are you able to get some kind of part time work now up until the baby is born so you can start saving etc.

I think you need to speak to your university's student services or the CAB to see what support there is. I am a nurse and would have struggled to do my training with a child because of the irregular shifts and getting childcare to cover them (evenings, nights, weekends etc). If your partner can do childcare out of nursery hours it could work (or if you have extended family who could support).

Sunbeam1112 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:26:40

Hi i have great experience in this given that i was a student nurse but found myself pregnant in my final year and took maternity before my management placement. The NHS bursary is covered as student maternity. Your still able to get tax credit during this time if your bf is working. I only had 6months left to complete but due to my ex's health i didnt return to my studies. This is something i greatly regret as once his health returned he ran off with someone else. Have you been with your bf long? If you never lived together and adding a baby into the mox can be quite challenging especially given your age ( i was your age when i had DS)

Sunbeam1112 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:29:40

Not to meantion returning to your studies ajd managing childcare for the next 2 years.

emilyrosa94 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:31:21

i can fit in a few weekend's of paid work to save a little but thats all really, how much are tax credits? i know its going to be hard with child care ect. but im having this baby regardless of all of the dificulties, iv read that the bursary gives you 42 weeks all in all of paid leave, but have no idea how much this would be yet, if i didnt return to uni then id have to look at other benefits or paid work.

If i get my maternoty busary id study up until my due date whcih would be half way through 2nd year, then start again with the next cohort, at the minute i get 366 a month bursary, does anybody know how much it increases for dependants and so on ?

Also, me and my bf are engagged and have been together for years, i know moving out will be hard but id rather that than live crowded in my mothers house, plus its not exactly suitable for a baby too.

He earns around 400 a week... providing that he has work on, sometimes he has quite periods and because hes self employed wont get piad during these times, im scared that i will get no finaincial help if i say he supports me, bnut dont want to lie either !

Saphwoodman Sat 09-Jan-16 16:11:13

I can help you a bit although I know nothing about student nurses or what that means lol. I'm a law student. Do you get student finance for living costs etc? If you do you will get around 10700 for the year which is made up of student loan, grant and a parents learning allowance. You will also get £80 a week child benefit/tax credits on top of that and some of your rent paid if you live in private rented although you will have to pay a portion your self. Those figures are based if you are living alone with out your boyfriend assuming you get student loan? If you get a wage then you will still be entitled to the benefits probably (if you earn under a certain amount) and you will probably still get a portion of housing benefit. I'm basing these figures on how it would be if I lived on my own with out my sons dad.

I live with him right now and he is a self employed mechanic earning around £1000-£1500 a month. We get child tax credit and child benefit of £80 a week. I get my student loan grant and parents learning allowance. We pay all the rent our selfs because our joint income is over the housing benefit threshold. If you stayed living with him you will most probably still get child benefit and child tax credits, you may also get working tax credits dependant on how much your joint incomes are. Google "tax credit calculator" and you will have a rough idea how much. It's unlikely you will get any housing benefit if you're living together though based on the amount you said he earns and the fact you will be earning as well. Although if you live in a high rent area like London you may get a bit.

Sunbeam1112 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:39:19

Tax credits wud be dependant on what ur bf earns they dont count your student mat pay. When i had my son it was 500a month i recieved. You might find your actually better off because they dont take into account your student mat pay. Just noticed you only get 366 bursary? God they've knocked that down considerably.

RvG2014 Sat 09-Jan-16 18:11:59

Im a nurse.. And i know that if you want more money with regards to your bursary and living with your partner they went through a stage where you had to be independant of your parents/family for 2 years before they raised the amount you get. Im not sure whether this is still the case?
With regards to having a dependant, your money will definitely be raised, by how much is another question... Ive known student nurses who found themselves pregnant in their final year, went away, had baby and came back with the next cohort to finish... Im now the godparent to her second baby. But she had ALOT of support from her family... Which i believe is the reason she managed smile

emilyrosa94 Sat 09-Jan-16 18:13:00

Thank you so much guys !

I get student finance the full amount already as to what i can get along with my bursary which is 750 tops in each 3payments over the year so i just need to find out if id still be eligable for these benefits with my bursary, and it sounds like your partner earns the same and you say you get 80 a week still, x

If i didnt return to nursing is it income support id be entitled to ... i wonder if its better to not get bursary and go that way .. i just need to calculate which id be better off with ... at the minute i have a bank carer job but dont get many hours .. will be doing as much as i can xx

Saphwoodman Sat 09-Jan-16 20:17:19

You will deffo be eligible for the benefits if it's just student finance. You will be looking at around £10700 per year for student finance, I'm sure that's pretty much the exact amount. My sisters in that position at the moment single mum and at uni and that's what she gets. you will not get income support unless you don't get anything else (so you would have to quit uni completely) you would also have to live on your own (you don't get income support if you have a partner unless they are also not working). You can claim it if you're a student, but only during the summer months so like 2 months then you have to phone up and cancel it when term starts. During this period you will also get full rent paid whilst your on income support.

For my sister she is MUCH better off as a student, we looked in to it. My mum looks after her son but if she was to need childcare they pay 70% of that. She gets around £1000 a month when her student finance is divided by 9 then the other months she gets income support. She gets all her child tax credits and she gets all her rent paid bar £80 a month (which she pays out of her money) if you're on income support your looking at around £300 a week for yourself plus all your child related benefits. She's much better off as a student can afford a car etc which she couldn't when she was on income support. Plus when the income support is up which is when your child starts school, you will likely be forced in to a career you don't want to be in for the sake of it being a job. Better to get the degree now so when your child starts school you are able to provide and work in a career you enjoy. So many mothers wish they had done that.

Saphwoodman Sat 09-Jan-16 20:23:20

I did some calculation assuming you're single and live alone (you can still have a relationship with your boyfriend but he wouldn't be able to live with you or stay over more than 2-3 nights a week)

Per year:
£2880 child tax credits
£960 child benefit
£10700 student finance
£600 a year income support
Plus majority of housing benefit and full housing benefit through summer months.

If on income support:
£2880 child tax credits
£960 child benefit
£3600 income support
Full housing benefit will be paid

Use a housing benefit calculator and see how much you would get paid if you stayed at uni then make your choice. Also remember your boyfriend will need to pay you child support if he wasn't living with you which based on figures you said should be at least £50 a week and this doesn't effect benefits. You also will get £7 ish in milk tokens to spend on formula or fruit/veg till babies one then the amounts halved x

bluewisteria Sat 09-Jan-16 20:34:38

Read this in the paper today, not sure if it will affect you but worth asking your student careers

bluewisteria Sat 09-Jan-16 20:35:11

Officer, student careers officer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now