Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Travel System - Silver Cross Pioneer?

(7 Posts)
brookeberry Fri 08-Jan-16 14:26:26

Hi All, being a first-timer and due in April, I'm currently tiptoeing through the confusing world of 'travel systems'.

DH and I had a go at a few prams in the shops and Silver Cross seemed to be the only ones we could both control confused. Has anyone had experience with the Pioneer? We are interested in this one because we live in the country and would be walking down slightly pebbly lanes. It also looks easy to fold etc. I've read the reviews in the Review Section, which are mainly positive, but am bothered by the one review that says it's not good on anything other than pavements. Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any other recommendations?

Thanks smile

sizethree Fri 08-Jan-16 16:57:02

I think there's a specific board for pram/travel systems advice so you'll get a better response there if you repost.
I have the Silver Cross pioneer in chilli (as red is unisex I think) and love it. (Good deal on it at Mothercare at the mo as you get car seat free).
It's easy to flatten and the parts are light. I have to haul the carrycot or car seat up two flights of stairs daily as I'm in a second floor flat. But it's manageable even with a 12lb baby (she didn't come out that size though!)
I live in the city, so no experience of it on terrain other than pavements and the botanic gardens. But I do walk a couple of miles each day and the wheels still look pristine nine weeks in.
It's also a really handsome looking system and I had a silver cross pram as a baby so feel rather nostalgic about using it for my family.
I also just bought the toy version (currently half price in Tesco sale) for when my daughter is old enough to play with it and hopefully her little brother or sister will be in the real one.
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

jbiscuits Fri 08-Jan-16 17:09:23

I've had the pioneer 18 months now (with almost daily use) and still love it. It's a great all-rounder, and would be fine on country lanes. We've taken it cross country once or twice as well and it's managed, but it's obviously not designed for this. It is quite big to fold though, so do check it fits in your car boot (fits fine in our Ford focus, but does fill the boot).

I would definitely recommend it, but agree with reposting on the pushchair board for more views.

Quodlibet Fri 08-Jan-16 21:13:02

My only experience of silver cross has been ones with two separate handles rather than one bar, if that makes sense. They really hurt your wrists after a while compared to ones with a single handlebar.

In my opinion the easiest to manoeuvre and lightest buggies are bugaboos and Babyjoggers. Babyjoggers are pretty good on different terrains and very easy to fold etc.

The 'travel system' bit of pushchairs is a bit of a con if you ask me - most of them are heavy and bulky and lots of people swap to something more manoeuvreable after a while. Babyjoggers are an exception to this - you can stick a carrycot on the top while baby is little, but then the buggy itself is good til the child is 3+. You can buy adapters for maxi cosi car seats too.

brookeberry Sat 09-Jan-16 11:59:43

Thanks for the feedback size, biscuits and Quod. That's really helpful smile

tappitytaptap Sat 09-Jan-16 12:14:29

I have ordered a Silver Cross Pioneer and its actually easier to fit in the boot than the iCandy Peach or Uppababy Vista (others I was considering) without taking the wheels off...I didn't fancy that if we'd been for a muddy walk!

mrsjskelton Mon 11-Jan-16 10:18:30

This is our pram smile bought it for the car seat reviews, the fold away'ness' of it and the storage underneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now