Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My friend is 2 weeks overdue and doesn't want to be induced. Worried about her

(15 Posts)
chickflicklover Thu 07-Jan-16 19:53:37

A friend of mine was due on December 25th. She will be 42 weeks PG tomorrow. I talked to her yesterday and she said she does not want to be induced because she thinks it's too risky. She also said one of her aunts had a vaginal birth at 43 weeks and was fine. She is 22 and this will be her first DC. I am wondering what the risks are of going so far overdue? Is there a point at which induction becomes a medical necessity?

sepa Thu 07-Jan-16 20:08:18

I'm not sure about the implications but your friend needs to discuss this with her midwife.
My friends mum went overdue with her first (35 years ago though) and he was really poorly because of it

CityMole Thu 07-Jan-16 20:26:11

Sorry you're worried. Two weeks isn't really all THAT late, although I can understand your concerns. As I understand it, a lot of risks associated with going overdue are I believe balance by the risks of intervention.

I presume if she's still pregnant in a week then she will be revisiting the situation and that she is being monitored meantime?

Bubbletree4 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:31:01

Since you have no say, just try to forget about it. It will probably be fine.

Whatdoidohelp Thu 07-Jan-16 20:39:55

After 42 weeks I think she should be having daily CTGs. I'm sure I was told that at an NHS class. Is she well aware of the risks of the placenta ageing?

Itsallaboutme3 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:47:33

I was the same as your friend, i was adament i was not being induced. Midwife still booked me in for induction at 42 weeks and told me to consider it but i went into labour that night and ds was born the day i was booked in fir induction so your friend will probably go intl labour naturally in the next couple of days

uhoh2016 Thu 07-Jan-16 22:32:56

I can't see how induction is more risky than the placenta failing but each to their own I suppose hmm I hope even if she does refuse induction she's getting regular if not daily checks to check everything is ok

uhoh2016 Thu 07-Jan-16 22:33:41

I've had 2 inductions no risk or trauma at all hmm

hopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 08-Jan-16 02:35:58

After 42 weeks your chance of having an Emergency section actually increases if you wait rather than having induction. Baby getting bigger, placenta aging. I would encourage her to read whatever information her hospital have given her and speak to her midwife with an open mind. I don't think it is that unusual to wait until 42 weeks though.

Pagetta Fri 08-Jan-16 09:18:28

I would encourage your friend to speak to her midwife and discuss it - what exactly are her worries of being induced?
My friend is a GP and has said the risks once you go over 42 to both mum and baby really increase. Her friend was hugely against any medical intervention and at 42+ weeks tragically lost her baby. i believe its to do with the placenta. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone, but its worth her understanding the risks to both options.

xx

53rdAndBird Fri 08-Jan-16 09:41:44

The risks of stillbirth go up after 42 weeks. They only go up slightly, but because it's a slight increase of such a terrible thing, the general NHS recommendation is for induction before that point.

There are also risks to induction, though (as there are for any medical procedure!). So some women decide that the risk balance they're most comfortable with is refusing or delaying the offered induction.

The hospital should be offering her increased monitoring (CTGs and ultrasounds) if she's choosing not to be induced. That will give more idea about how the baby's doing.

I refused induction at 40+10, went into labour naturally at 40+15, baby bor at 40+16. I wouldn't have gone to 43 weeks, though (in fact I had an induction scheduled for the day she was born!).

Zeitgei5t Fri 08-Jan-16 09:46:17

She should be offered a scan to check her placenta, if its fine then no reason not to wait? She could also ask them to check her Bishops score to see if an induction would actually be worth it.

CityMole Fri 08-Jan-16 12:42:11

uhoh, I'm really pleased to hear that your two inductions went without as hitch, that's great for you. the fact is that induction is not without risk, and some women will decide that the risk of going a little over their estimated due date is overall a lower risk to them. from the research I have done there does seem to be a genetic link to late birthers in many cases, plus there is the fact that there is no exact science to when a baby is 'due', especially given the number of variables such as women who are late ovulaters, etc.

I don't think anybody is stupid enough to suggest that the women ought to sit at home, unmonitored, just 'seeing what happens'. So long as the placenta is still doing its job then, critically, it is the pregnant woman's body and choice.

chickflicklover Mon 11-Jan-16 18:36:46

I want to let you all know that my friend gave birth to a boy at 4.42 am today after being induced. She is very tired and sore but absolutely ecstatic. I am very relieved and happy for her smile

Mrswinkler Mon 11-Jan-16 18:46:10

Lurker. Good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now