Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brown discharge on panty liner?

(16 Posts)
harboromummy Thu 07-Jan-16 19:42:44

I'm 11 weeks tomorrow. Just been loo and there is brown discharge on my panty liner. Nothing when I wipe.

I'm so worried 😪

spacefrog35 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:50:39

It's totally natural to be terrified but brown is often seen as 'better' than red as its old. The best thing you can do is rest, try to relax and give the midwife a call in the morning. If you get any cramping it's fine to take a paracetamol. Oh, and try not to google it won't help.

Bleeding and spotting is really common (although I know that doesn't help) flowers

harboromummy Thu 07-Jan-16 19:52:47

Iv just found heart beat on the Doppler so feel better now x

spacefrog35 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:56:43

I use a Doppler for reassurance too but lots will tell you not to. It's important not to get over reliant on it (or to get stressed if little one is hiding) and also not to ignore problems just because you've heard a heartbeat. These are valid concerns but I'm glad you've got some comfort from it. I'd still give the midwife a call tomorrow just so they know you had some spotting.

harboromummy Thu 07-Jan-16 19:57:56

Yes I will do thank you.

My hormones are strong today iv been crying and shouting all day sad

BifsWif Thu 07-Jan-16 20:33:48

Brown blood is old blood, and while not 'normal' is common in pregnancy. Your cervix is so swollen and full of blood right now - if you've done the deed recently you could have had a little bleed from there and the blood is only just working its way out? I used to get a bit of spotting when I went to the loo due to constipation and straining a bit too hard. Try and rest up, call your midwife tomorrow and try not to panic.

Do you have a scan date yet? flowers

magpie17 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:35:03

I had this and went running off to casualty! I was very anxious... They wouldn't give me a scan as I had my 12 week one booked for the following week anyway but all turned out to be fine. The Dr told me that sometimes you get it around when your period should have come if you weren't pregnant (does that make sense?) and that was the case for me.

Anyway, six month old DS asleep upstairs is testament to the fact that it turned out five in the end!

SnackPlease Thu 07-Jan-16 21:02:05

Please put the Doppler down. Unless you are a midwife or doctor, you don't know what you are listening for or what you are hearing is telling you. Even midwives don't listen in until at least 16 weeks.

I've had brown blood with two of my pregnancies. One had a happy ending, one did not. The waiting is really shit, but there's nothing you can do at this stage other than take it easy and don't google.

Hope you get good news soon.

harboromummy Thu 07-Jan-16 21:26:05

It's defiantly the baby iv found. Sounds like a horse x

SnackPlease Thu 07-Jan-16 21:32:30

hmm

Could be the baby. Or your placenta. Or blood flow through the cord. Or your own pulse.

Trust me, step away form the Doppler.

magpie17 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:51:52

You found the babies heartbeat on your own with a Doppler at 11 weeks? My midwife couldn't even do that! As I said, it's likely to be nothing but IMO dopplers are not that helpful as a tool for reassurance and probably best to see a professional.

Solan Thu 07-Jan-16 23:19:06

I am having the same, I will be 7 weeks on Monday and due to my age (41) and a m/c 2 years ago I am highly anxious. But, my pink discharge has come after straining on toilet or after being constipated, the brown has been after that so I am thinking (hoping) it is down to cervical erosion which I was diagnosed with a few years ago. I am having other pregnancy symptoms strong at the minute but can't trust any of them...I am due an early scan next Friday.

hellsdells82 Thu 07-Jan-16 23:30:35

"Could be the baby. Or your placenta. Or blood flow through the cord. Or your own pulse"

Exactly this... put the doppler down amd wait for your scan. My babys heartbeat sounds very much the same as bloodflow through placenta. Totally not the same thing.
As for the OP, i also had brown discharge, had it at 6/11/15/19/24 weeks, im 29wks on saturday and sit in anxiety everytime i go loo. I have a sensitive (fiable,i think) cervix, and it only takes a good sneeze to start me off with a minor bleed.
You have so much more blood flowing through that area,maybe if you need a poo and are a bit bound up that can start it off.
I cant tell you not to worry but please try and take this off your mind,and dont use the doppler. Just because theres a heartbeat it doesnt make everything ok. Good luck with your scan x

harboromummy Fri 08-Jan-16 08:00:17

I had a biopsy a few months ago on my cervix I wonder if that caused it.

Anyway

vid1067.photobucket.com/albums/u432/kimberley_hill1/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.9B8746C1-1086-404D-ACFD-1C4F0A1CADAE_zpsz5oywvle.mp4

harboromummy Fri 08-Jan-16 17:24:33

Thank you everyone.

No more discharge today but I do think I have a uti so off to the Drs in the morning x

FourForYouGlenCoco Fri 08-Jan-16 19:27:04

Am sure all is fine; most likely just a bit of cervical irritation or something similar.
As for 'put down the Doppler' - in the later stages of pregnancy, yes, absolutely, don't rely on it for reassurance, always see a professional. The danger is that people will listen in at home, hear a heartbeat and think all is well, failing to pick up fetal distress, which can have very serious consequences. But at these early stages there's absolutely nothing anyone can do anyway. Sorry to sound harsh, but the baby will either be fine or it won't. There is no harm at all to be done by having a listen in. The absolute worst case scenario is that someone hears what they think is the baby but isn't really, which is not a big deal.
Listen away, OP. Glad you found a heartbeat, hopefully you feel a bit more reassured now. At this stage your chances of all being well are very high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now