Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 weeks pregnant, bleeding, could do with a hand hold

(23 Posts)
penelopepitstop28 Wed 06-Jan-16 09:56:04

Hi there

So we've been ttc for about a year, was on my 3rd round of Clomid and found out I was pregnant on New Years day. This is the first time I've ever been knowingly pregnant. But! Started with a brown blood wipe on Monday, saw the gp who said it was too early for the EPU. Period type blood yesterday and cramps, red and clotting. Called EPU anyway and they said again there was nothing they could do and for me to rest. I have to go back to the GP Monday to see if there is still a pregnancy.

Have been lurking on mumsnet forums for a bit, I know there isn't really anything I can do, but it feels so awful, as I guess, given the amount of blood, this is very likely a MC. But the killing thing is that there is still a shred of hope in me.

I don't know if anyone out there at the mo has had similar experiences, or anything? Help!

:-)

Melt90 Wed 06-Jan-16 11:56:32

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I had cramps and bleeding at the start no clotting though so can't really help you. It's so worrying and I think if you just don't over think and get in touch with the midwife or even pay for a private scan it's my first and Iv gone from being quiet a chilled out laid back person to worrying about everything and over thinking so I think it's normal but ring your midwife sorry can't help you but if you ever need to chat smile

penelopepitstop28 Wed 06-Jan-16 12:19:40

Thanks Melt for your response and good wishes. I thought the two week wait was bad! This is my first time pregnant and I'm also usually very good with things happening to my body and quite chilled, but this has knocked me for six!

Due to see GP on Saturday morning and resting up until then. I will keep you posted.

Sending you very good wishes :-)

Melt90 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:14:08

Yes let me know how you get on! All the best :-) xxx

TheGreaterGood Wed 06-Jan-16 14:33:13

I've had this experience several times, with good and bad outcomes. Most recently I had bleeding and pains from week 4 to 8 and was so convinced I was miscarrying (the bleeding was reasonably heavy at times with some small clots - and I've had 3 previous MCs so I thought I knew what I was looking at) that I went out and got drunk blush

Had a scan at 6 weeks, I thought just to confirm the MC but to my amazement there was a baby with a heartbeat. I'm now 13 weeks and all is well.

I've been on the other side too, but I am testament to the fact that not all bleeding and/or pain means miscarriage.

The waiting is horrible and uncertainty so hard - you really have my sympathy...but the time will pass and you will have an answer soon.

Thinking of you. flowers

penelopepitstop28 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:50:04

Thank you Greater :-) I really appreciate your response, and I'm gladdened to learn of your story too - I'm pretty tempted to finish the Christmas sherry right now I gotta say....

I'm sorry to hear that you've had previous sadder experiences, but happy to hear that all is well for you now too after that scary start.

Waiting, I am no good at. I'm off work and I've just been googling forums all day. It's just these limbo few days, when there's cramping and blood it just feels like that's it. Ugh! But so lovely to have your kind thoughts.

I will update as and when whatever the outcome.

Sending you warmest wishes for yours :-)

CityMole Wed 06-Jan-16 16:33:27

Hello, if you search through past threads, you'll see that lots of people will have been through this- some with healthy babies at the end, and some with sadder stories to share. I had some brown spotting and passes stringy clots at about 6 weeks, and am now at 23 weeks with no major issues since.
The waiting is hell though! Try to keep yourself occupied. when are you back at work? can you meet friends for cinema trips, or something like that? [insert handholding icon]

penelopepitstop28 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:45:49

Thanks CityMole. Glad to hear you're well on your way now after the spotting and clots back then.

I find it really helpful to hear about others' experiences, and have indeed been looking at the forums. Will get back to work Monday - so Cinema is a good plan! Anything to keep me from the constant wondering. All good wishes your way :-)

TheGreaterGood Wed 06-Jan-16 16:46:07

Thanks penelope - its a very anxious time and I'm the world's least patient person so it felt agonising! Distraction is the only thing that works - I second cinema trips, shopping and sharing what you're going through with close RL friends or family.

MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 06-Jan-16 17:09:34

Sorry to hear you are going through this. The waiting is hell. I had bleeding at 4 and 6 weeks and like you was pretty terrified. Had my 12 week scan yesterday though and all is well. Baby fine. So don't give up hope just yet. Fingers crossed for you. Hope all is well. flowers

Whatsername24 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:20:28

Sorry to hear you're going through this, it's such a worry. I've been through bleeding in early pregnancy three times - one resulted in miscarriage but the other two occasions ended up being fine. I had a really heavy bleed at 11 weeks but the result of that pregnancy is now at university, and with the other I bled on and off from week 6 to week 14, I didn't even bother to get that pregnancy confirmed by the GP until 10 weeks as I was so convinced I was going to miscarry so decided I'd just go along to see her when the inevitable happened - the result of that one just put in his sixth form application.

Really hope everything works out for you flowers

Iwonderif Wed 06-Jan-16 17:23:24

Didn't want to read and run. I personally have had no experience of this but my sister did in both her pregnancies. Early on & again further along. My nephews now are 8 & 4. All pregnancies are different. Keep hold of that hope. I shall be thinking of you flowers

penelopepitstop28 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:48:40

MoreGilmoregirls - thank you very much for your response - totally with you on the terrifying - very glad to hear yours is doing well, all good wishes as your pregnancy progresses. :-)

Whatsername - that's great to know that it was all okay (and your reply made me smile), though I'm sorry you had to go through the first mc. Thank you very much for your good wishes

Iwonderif - thanks for sharing your sister's experience, and glad it turned out okay. I have been so much outside of pregnancy experience until now, just hearing the brief details, so it's a real eye opener in terms of realities. THank you for your kind thoughts.

Speaking of realities - TMI alert - just went to the loo and a pretty big clot came out, bleurgh and sorry! I'm thinking that may be it, but I'll still go to the GP on Saturday and check. I will report back as and when, but thank you so much for responding you've been really helpful :-)

Iwonderif Wed 06-Jan-16 19:50:09

Big big hugs. Huge ones in fact. Be gentle on yourself. X

Orange1969 Wed 06-Jan-16 19:57:00

I've had four miscarriages. My second was at five weeks.

I didn't have very heavy bleeding straight away - my main concern was that all my symptoms (sore breasts, feeling tired etc) disappeared overnight.

I'd love to reassure you and you may be fine, but passing large clots at this stage rarely leads to a viable pregnancy.

Only a scan can say whether there is a sac there. At this stage, you would expect to see a sac but not a heartbeat so a scan would probably be inconclusive.

It would be wise to take another HPT test. A negative one usually indicates a miscarriage. A positive one does not mean that the baby is still alive, though sad

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but I would hate to offer false hope.

Good luck. The uncertainty is awful, I know.

Riggers1 Wed 06-Jan-16 22:02:18

I found out I was pregnant with my first last summer but began light bleeding at 6 weeks, which totally threw me.

At the time the midwife and EPU weren't interested because I was deemed as too early on. I bled for another 2 weeks before they booked me in for an early scan and confirmed the baby was still there but didn't have a heartbeat. I then miscarried which was devastating as I wasn't prepared as to what it entails.

I was frustrated that people only started to tell me their own experiences of miscarriages after I told them about mine - like it had to be a secret. It certainly doesn't need to be and I have been very open of my experience to make sure there's more awareness of how common it is and what people go through.

The best advice I received was from a friend who had suffered a miscarriage herself - miscarriages are out of our control, if they do happen then of course it's heartbreaking but it's your body telling you something isn't right. It's nothing you have done wrong and certainly doesn't mean that it could happen again.

I tried to keep positive and had time off work to get my head around what happened. I made sure I told my family and close friends so I had people around me to off-load.

2 months later I found out I was pregnant again and I'm now 14 weeks along and so far everything has been fine - a rainbow that's appeared from the storm.

Stay positive and let your body take its course. If you do miscarry then let your emotions out, but remember it doesn't mean that it can happen again, every pregnancy is different.

Thinking of you xx

Orange1969 Wed 06-Jan-16 23:25:10

Wise words, Rigger.

I should add that tests revealed no medical reason for my miscarriages. It's possible that I have a condition called hyper fertility that meant I got pregnant each time I tried, straight away.

However, I got pregnant too easily, with babies that were not viable.

I'm happy to say that pregnancy number five was successful. The result is currently having a teen strop ( he's 13) upstairs hmmsmile

MoreGilmoreGirls Thu 07-Jan-16 02:01:54

Just wanted to add to the hugs. Thanks for the well wishes I hope everything turns good for you in the end. Look after yourself xx

penelopepitstop28 Thu 07-Jan-16 08:53:51

Morning!

Iwonderif - thanks for your hugs - much appreciated :-)

Orange - I so appreciate your honesty and clarity - I agree, false hope is the worst. I was going to do a test this morning, but I can't find them anywhere. I was in such a state when I bought them that I have no idea where they are in the house, so I think I'll take that as a sign. I will probably wait for the GP on Saturday now. Thank you for your good wishes, and sharing your story. I'm very glad to hear after such a difficult journey, your positive outcome is having his teen strop (also made me smile).

Riggers - thank you for sharing your story - that sounds really distressing for you. It can be such pot luck with hospitals, and I agree, I had no idea about the mc experience until literally this week, so I think it's a very good plan to be open about what happened. The fact that I had no idea about this side of the fence, as it were, that there's this window where noone will do anything and you just have to wait it out is excruciating. But your words about miscarriage are very helpful - in fact I shared them with my husband yesterday evening - he was panicking about the fact his response to the pregnancy brought up some unforeseen panic in him, despite the fact we've been ttc for over a year, and that somehow the little nugget might have known. I think the thing I have to hold onto is that every pregnancy is different.

MoreGilmoreGirls - thank you for the extra hugs, much appreciated.

So quick update, after some more dodgy clot passing last night (eurgh) the bleeding has lessened overnight, and the cramps have almost gone today with minimal blood. I feel very emotional but I do feel brighter because the physical discomfort has lifted, except I do feel nauseous still. I can well imagine that this is my body's response to having to deal with the clots and the whole thing. A lot of me just wants my body to get back to normal, though I think for me a lot of naivety about pregnancy has been wiped away with this, so although it's hard to stomach, it'll be helpful for the future.

What has been so helpful is everyone's responses and thoughtfulness, and I can't thank you enough for your support. I will update you as and when. :-)

penelopepitstop28 Thu 07-Jan-16 12:18:26

Update! My dear peeps. I finally found my tests and gave one a go - I'm afraid I've come up negative. sad The bleeding really was too heavy for the little nugget to not be part of it.

I will now head to the mc forum but I want to thank you all for being so lovely and supportive and holding my hand during a very difficult wait. At least now I know and can deal with it.

I wish you all the very best for your lovelies in 2016, I hope to see you on here again another time.

Hugs back to you all! :-)

TheGreaterGood Thu 07-Jan-16 12:33:16

Ahhh, Penelope, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you hand holds and much sympathy. flowers

Orange1969 Thu 07-Jan-16 14:56:11

So very sorry thanks

MoreGilmoreGirls Thu 07-Jan-16 17:54:29

So sorry Penelope. Hope you find lots of support on mc and hope you have lots in rl too. Be kind to yourself. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now