Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Allowance?

(10 Posts)
brookeberry Tue 05-Jan-16 16:28:34

Hi all, I'm self-employed and run my own business 6 days a week. I've never employed anyone else and have always been present in the business myself (it's creative and personal to me).

I'm due in April and been trying to work out how I'm going to keep my business going whilst possibly being unable to go in for, who knows, possibly 12 weeks?

Someone just mentioned Maternity Allowance to me which I had never realised I may be eligible for. I thought this was just for employed people/people with proper jobs!

Has anyone self-employed had experience of this in the UK? Even if I found some sort of cover and the business still ran, would I still be eligible?

Thanks smile

DowntonDiva Tue 05-Jan-16 16:41:46

Do you have an accountant? Mines is arranging maternity allowance on my behalf - £139.58 for 39 weeks.

Had a quick google, looks like this is the HMRC page to help with steps in submitting your claim.

www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/overview

brookeberry Tue 05-Jan-16 18:59:18

Many thanks for the link Downton. I do have an accountant - I'll get in touch with him smile

Verkey81 Wed 06-Jan-16 23:21:28

You don't need an accountant, I did it myself, I'm self employed, I just downloaded the form, filled it in and sent it off. As long as you pay ni class 2 contributions you'll be entitled smile

Verkey81 Wed 06-Jan-16 23:22:30

Sorry that should say 'I think' you'll be entitled!

brookeberry Thu 07-Jan-16 09:16:33

Thanks Verkey smile Yes I'm filling in the form just now and fingers crossed. I am hesitant to contact my accountant - he charges me for asking a question!!!

Quodlibet Thu 07-Jan-16 14:56:15

Yep it's really easy to apply for.

You are allowed to do 10 paid 'Keeping in Touch' days during the period you receive Mat Allowance, though once you start working properly again, even part time, you have to declare in and the Mat Allowance will stop.

brookeberry Thu 07-Jan-16 16:17:17

Ah that's really helpful, thanks quodlibet. Being my own business I'm not going to switch off completely and that's what I'm a little in the dark about. Ta! smile

Quodlibet Thu 07-Jan-16 20:49:21

No problem. Officially you have to count any day that you do any work as an entire KiT day which seems ridiculous to me (so if I open my email on my phone does that count??) so you have be a bit strategic about how you use/invoice for your KIT days. Not that they check unless you are investigated.

CarrieLouise25 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:53:07

I've been self employed for 12 years now, and with my second DC it was easy to claim. Just fill in the claim form and get yourself a MATB1 certificate from the midwife as evidence for pregnancy.

Verkey is right, as long as you have been paying your Class 2 NIC, then you should be entitled.

Pregnant with DC3 now, and have just sent off my claim form for this time. It takes about 2 weeks for a reply.

Good luck with pregnancy, and your MA claim! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now