Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st time mummy nerves!

(6 Posts)
Gracielou2210 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:31:37

Hey guys

I have very recently found out that I'm pregnant (I think 5 weeks but that hasn't been confirmed yet!) I've told my OH and my mum, been to my docs and filled out the forms to sort a booking appointment with a midwife but I'm not sure what I should be doing next!

I feel like I'm going out of my mind with nerves and everything else going through my head while I'm waiting for something to happen.. Any advice on what I can do to stop obsessing about everything?

Thanks!

OTheHugeManatee Tue 05-Jan-16 13:34:19

There's nothing you can do at this stage. But the nerves are very common.

Join one of the antenatal clubs (am I right in thinking you'd be EDD Sep 16? There's a thread here for people due around the same time as you and you can share your experiences and thoughts with others going through the same thing smile

Congratulations!

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 05-Jan-16 13:35:11

That's it, basically. Brace yourself for at least 3-6 weeks of thumb-twiddling!

I almost immediately started making a list of what we would need. Turns out we were given most of it by friends and relatives! But it's useful to turn your attention to something.

I also started reading pregnancy / birth books. Good for terrifying you! wink

Congrats flowers

GastonsPomPomWrath Tue 05-Jan-16 13:44:13

If you're not already doing it, take a folic acid and vitamin supplement.

Yes, it's really early days but whenever I've been pregnant, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about preparing so maybe think about what antenatal course, if any, you want to do. Things like that get booked up really quick so at least knowing about some and making a decision will be useful. Other things include hypnobirthing if its something you're interested in.

Agree about the books. Yes, ok, they may seem scary but being prepared for the changes your body is going through and also knowing about birth will be good.

You could start a journal or a scrapbook of your pregnancy, get a pic of you every month and watch your own progress.

Make lists of things you need to budget for.

Get a baby name book.

Gracielou2210 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:05:44

Thanks ladies!!

Thought I would be getting way too far ahead of myself by making lists and stuff like that so its good to hear you suggesting them.

Honestly I'm one of the first in my circle of friends to have a baby so it's not something I know anything about as I'm an only child and never been around children. Can anyone recommend what I should be reading or any classes that are helpful?

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:20:05

I recommend:

Pregnancy for Modern Girls
The Pregnancy and Baby Book
The Babycare Bible - v. good, idiots guide!
First Time Parent - v. good
Blooming Birth - v. good
The Good Birth Companion - v.good
If you're in the UK, Gurgle.com's Pregnancy Book had a few useful bits about what happens once you enter the UK's "you're pregnant" NHS machinery.

NCT classes are supposed to be good, but you won't have one until you're about 7-8 months pregnant. I did Antenatal Yoga early on (back issues) which was quite good. I found it hard to make friends though, they didn't do any of the group chats / Whatsapp groups that NCT is known for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now