Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you find out how far pregnant you are?

(17 Posts)
Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:01:13

So this just happened, came as a bt of a surprise!

My last period started on the 29th November. I'm 5 days late today.

I had an ectopic pregnancy this time last year as well. Should I be concerned?

When do I go to the GP? What do I do now? It's been 10 years since I've done this

CurlsLDN Mon 04-Jan-16 14:03:57

Book in to see your gp as soon as possible, especially given your history. In any case they will refer you on for maternity care.

How far gone you are is worked out from the start date of your last period - so that would make you five weeks. That may be adjusted slightly at your 12 week scan though.

Congratulations!!

icklekid Mon 04-Jan-16 14:05:53

Use this to find due date www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/due-date-calculator.aspx

If cycle is 28 days You are 5 weeks pregnant
Your due date is: 04 September 2016

You can book gp appointment to refer to midwife now or some areas you just self refer to midwife. Ring gp surgery and ask! Congratulations! (I'm due 31st August so very similar dates!)

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:06:51

That says 4 weeks! Thank you! My cycle can be from 28-37 days but my period tracker thing says its average is 31 so I just put that.

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:10:44

Just called. Seeing a midwife next Monday. What else do I need to do? I'm so nervous

icklekid Mon 04-Jan-16 14:15:28

Midwife does booking in appointment -great that it's so soon. She will arrange 12 week scan and hospital will write to you. Start taking folic acid and vitamin do tablets. Try and avoid googling can i eat...when pregnant!

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:28:26

My DS has a very rare genetic disorder that makes him very poorly and has made him have disabilities. He is 9 now and has a different dad to the poppy seed but I'm worried sick about everything!

The type he has can't be detected by an amnio because they can't even pin point the gene on him yet.

Then there was the ectopic last year...

JellyBaby26 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:38:00

Op I am in a similar situation.

My DD has a rare condition, no idea what it is, what caused it, where the problem is but i too pregnant and this one can't be tested either.

Scary times but try and enjoy it smile

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:40:09

Hi jelly baby! Thank you. Are you a member of SWAN UK? I know I'd get support there but don't want to announce it officially get

JellyBaby26 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:43:24

No I'm not. I probably should look into it though.

We may find out what's wrong with her v soon as they have found a spelling mistake in her mitochondria, but they think I will have it too so back to the drawing board!

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 14:51:22

SWAN is brilliant for support. I only joined it recently, didn't know about t but another mum at school told me, I kept meaning to join for months before I did as well. Just too much other stuff to do isn't there?

JellyBaby26 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:14:33

Huge pile of ironing to do!

I also don't really like admitting there is an issue ...

I literally just had a call to say I have the same spelling mistake as her so back to drawing board! And no amnio for me!

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 15:23:31

We're on the DDD and the 100,000 genome study. I don't know whether to call my geneticist and tell her that in pregnant now or if she'll just say to calm the fuck down 😂 Probably the latter.

DesertOrDessert Mon 04-Jan-16 15:33:50

When I was discharged from care following my Ectopic, it was made clear to me I needed to get an early scan for any subsequent pregnancies. Midwife wasn't sure, so I rang the early pregnancy unit, explained 1 pervious ectopic, now pregnant, did I need to do anything, and they had me in for a scan at 6 weeks both times. One of those is asleep right now, and the other doing his homework.

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 15:40:35

My last ectopic I didn't even know I was pregnant. I was in severe pain and loads of people on here kept asking if I could possibly be pregnant. I said no as I'd just had a normal period. Doctor asked and I said the same. Took a test because everyone was telling me to, it was positive, ended up in A&E half an hour later, but I lost it myself so no operation needed or anything.

I will tell the midwife I need an early scan when I see her on Monday. I need to be wel to care for DS so I can't leave anything to chance.

I really really hope it's ok. I really do. I've not been able to focus on anything else all day.

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Mon 04-Jan-16 15:43:34

Wishing you a healthy happy 9 months. Definitely make sure they do a early scan. It should've standard after theeptopic.

Hurr1cane Mon 04-Jan-16 17:22:57

Thanks Gin. It really doesn't feel real.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now