Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rhinitis - what can I take?

(10 Posts)
Quodlibet Mon 04-Jan-16 00:34:41

Really bored now if having one permanently blocked nostril!

Don't really want to waste a Drs appointment so can anyone tell me what I can buy over the counter for it?

Tokelau Mon 04-Jan-16 00:43:12

I used to use a Nasonex spray, but I'm not sure if you can get it over the counter, or if it's safe when pregnant. Sorry, that's not much help at all. I suffered for years with very bad rhinitis, so you have my sympathy.

The Nasonex didn't get rid of the symptoms though, just eased them a bit.

Hope you find something to help.

Haggisfish Mon 04-Jan-16 00:45:21

Saline spray. No decongestants as they are all stimulants and thus potentially bad for baby, I think.

RatOnnaStick Mon 04-Jan-16 01:06:06

I was prescribed Beconase which contains the steroid Betamethasone. It worked really well.

dizzylemon Mon 04-Jan-16 10:22:26

Doctor wouldn't prescribe me anything except paracetomol which unless you have pain and/or fever won't really do anything. Frustratingly, pharmacists are supposed to be able to advise about over the counter meds, but we've (hubby and I) have found a few times that they will refer you to your doctor.

I used a combination of steam, saline spray, vaporrub, vaporub in hot water and olbas oil to help. I found the steam+vaporub quite good against block nosed, but not very long lived. The olbas oil and saline spray were ok for noses that were only partially/vaguely blocked.

NHKX2 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:25:49

I was miserable with blocked sinus for weeks until I got a saline nasal rinse. They're not glamorous, you spray up one nostril and it comes out the other, but after three days I could breathe and sleep again. In the interim I used the Vicks inhaler, a saline spray, and breathe right strips.

Quodlibet Mon 04-Jan-16 17:59:02

Thank you. I've got a saline/Olbas type spray from the pharmacy and will give that a go...not holding out huge amounts of hope though!

Haggisfish Mon 04-Jan-16 23:28:15

I thought olbas wasn't allowed either?! Actually the salt spray was surprisingly effective I found. Hope you feel better soon-my nose was constantly blocked while pg.

Quodlibet Tue 05-Jan-16 14:37:21

It's called Sinuforce. It's not actually olbas, it's a saline spray with minute amounts of peppermint/tea tree oil in. Doesn't do much so far

Haggisfish Tue 05-Jan-16 14:51:22

Oh dear. Empathetic hugs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now