Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Social services

(10 Posts)
bek123 Sun 03-Jan-16 22:07:17

If anyone could offer some advice cos I'm working myself into a tizzy researching the matter online. long story short, my partner had an awful relationship with his ex with whom he has children with, she has made up an awful bunch of lies and now social services are involved with our unborn baby. the story told by his ex have lead to the case being dealt with in a court room and I was just wondering if the jury come back with a not guilty verdict, will the social workers be dismissed and we can be left to carry on with our family? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

TattieHowkerz Mon 04-Jan-16 00:17:08

I'd be cautious. Things don't go to court on the word of one person. Presumably there is some other evidence to be tried?

Social services will be most concerned over whether there is a realistic risk to any children, rather than legal verdicts.

Good luck.

Heirhelp Mon 04-Jan-16 08:53:43

Jury are only for criminal cases. If the police have charged your partner and the CPS have decided to prosecute the there must be substantial evidence. if this is the case I suspect your partner is not being truthful with you.

Can you arrange to speak the social worker without your partner? Perhaps take a friend or family member with you.

wonkylampshade Mon 04-Jan-16 08:58:09

I agree there's likely to be compelling evidence otherwise this would not have made it to court. If SS are involved, have you had an open and frank conversation with them about exactly why?

flowers for you, it must be very worrying for you. Do you live with your partner?

NerrSnerr Mon 04-Jan-16 08:59:07

If it's a criminal case and he's found guilty by a journey then it's unlikely that the allegations have been made up. Social services also won't get involved and take action on one person's say so, they will need evidence and will talk to nurseries, doctors, health visitors, schools etc.

You need to decide whether you can trust him with your baby who does not deserve to be put at any risk.

NerrSnerr Mon 04-Jan-16 09:08:33

Jury not journey.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:41:06

What has your partner been charged with? As pps have said, the police and CPS would not have got the case to crown court without more evidence than the word of an ex-partner. I strongly suspect there is much more to this than you have been told.

In terms of the social workers being dismissed, this isn't within the jurisdiction of the crown court and would be a separate matter for the local authority. But there would need to be disciplinary proceedings etc.

Racmactac Mon 04-Jan-16 15:49:52

Even if he is found not guilty children's services will remain involved.

If you continue to believe that he does not pose a risk to your unborn child then you run the risk that your child will be removed and placed into foster care.

If after all of that you still refuse to accept the risk and do not walk away your child will be adopted.

Is is highly unlikely that cps will be prosecuting him if no evidence.

wonkylampshade Mon 04-Jan-16 16:12:24

Racmactac what an unhelpful post to make - we don't have any real info about the charges from the OP so how on earth can you decree she'll lose her baby if she doesn't walk away from him!?

While I agree there's got to be more to this situation than a lying ex (and unlikely that OP has a comprehensive picture if that's all she thinks it is), she will not just have her child taken away from her if she doesn't go it alone... Children aren't removed from their parents with no dialogue or careful risk assessment taking place (except presumably in the most extreme circumstances), so OP would have to be fully informed of SS concerns about her baby's father as part of that process.

Whatever the circumstances, OP is likely to need support to navigate a very difficult situation - she sounds frightened and stressed by what's going on.

OP, if you are still reading, what are your thoughts? Are the charges your partner is facing to do with child protection? Are you managing to develop a good relationship with your social worker and do you think you might be able to have a frank conversation about how SS came to be involved with you and your baby?

Racmactac Mon 04-Jan-16 17:11:17

There is no pussy footing around, children's services are involved and they will have already told her what the charges are and what the risks are. She asked what would happen if he is not guilty - well I have given her the truth - they will not walk away and leave her alone. Just because you are not found guilty in a criminal court does not mean that there are no risks.

If these charges involve the ex then I am presuming that it's violence or something else equally nasty otherwise they wouldn't be involved. If the charges were bank robbery or stealing then Children services wouldn't even be involved.

There is no point sugar coating it, she has some choices to make and needs to hear worst case scenario to arm herself with the facts to make a choice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now