Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Migraine!!

(8 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Sun 03-Jan-16 20:42:09

Anyone else pregnant and suffer migraines? So miserable!

Mine have changed over the last few years, used to be a day in bed, pounding head, couldn't really move and vomiting.

When pregnant with dc1 I only had a couple, but started having intense dizzy spells after he was born. Consultant diagnosed these as migraines presenting differently. They were scary, especially if out walking on my own with my baby or carrying him but no pain and over with quickly.

Now I'm 15 weeks pregnant again and seem to be back to pain / vomiting. Just got over a 2 day episode and in the 'hangover' feeling stage.

Anyone got any advise / found anything that works to control them? Migraleve (pink) are good and midwife said ok to take but better to stick to paracetamol...

Hope as hormones settle down I won't have any more for a while.

Colabottle10 Sun 03-Jan-16 21:01:10

I'm the opposite. Suffered exactly the migraines you describe, pounding head, day in bed, severe vomiting. Even hospitalised on occasion. I'd just started daily meds before I fell pregnant and in those 7 weeks I've not had one (touch wood). I did stop the daily meds. Have you investigated meds?

Ploy Sun 03-Jan-16 21:05:43

Sympathy from over here. It can be utterly awful. I had awful headaches during the 2nd trimester. Utterly debilitating. But i found that quitting caffeine resolved them completely. It's worth a try. I suffered 3 or 4 days of withdrawal headaches and now I am free from pain. It's wonderful.

Unfairestofthemall Sun 03-Jan-16 21:15:01

You can use those 4head sticks when pregnant they helped a bit to try and keep it at bay. Other than that I found staying hydrated and generally trying not to focus on it difficult I know when the pains that bad though. I'm now 34 weeks and haven't had a really bad one since about 20 so fingers crossed it settles down for you too smile also try and get plenty of rest

Nousername2015 Sun 03-Jan-16 21:18:23

Sleep, sleep, more sleep and lots of water. Also, paracetamol doesn't usually touch my migraines but I found if I took some with some caffeine (with a cup of tea, not the pills with caffeine in) then it did take the edge off. I only had them towards end of 1st and early 2nd tri though, it's been great to have a break from them.

Babytalkobsession Sun 03-Jan-16 21:33:23

Really hoping I'm coming out of the worst now I'm into 2nd trimester. I do remember a particular bad one with my previous pregnancy at 20 weeks, I think linked to feeling stressed / anxious about the 20 week scan.

Sorry to hear you're all suffering / have been suffering too. I was think of simplyfying diet and cutting out caffiene and all crap, but that's what's getting me through work & juggling a tantrum img toddler!

Not on any meds, but might be worth a trip to gp if they continue.

Thanks all, just wanted a moan really grin

Colabottle10 Sun 03-Jan-16 23:21:26

Def see your GP, there are meds you can have that will help. And I've been on pretty much all of them!

Nicky333 Mon 04-Jan-16 07:59:01

I spoke to my GP who said that the pink Migraleve tablets were okay to take too, along with Codeine. I also have the 4Head stick and one of those wheat pouches that you heat up in the microwave, which really helps.

I've only had one migraine during pregnancy, but really bad headaches a lot of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now