Talk

Advanced search

taking time off sick for pregnancy sickness

(22 Posts)
Scoopmuckdizzy Sun 03-Jan-16 20:38:07

I'm calling in sick tomorrow morning and I've been panicking about it all day. It's ridiculous. There is no way I can cope with work at the moment. I struggled before Christmas but knew I had the holiday coming up and thought that by the time I went back in January it would have passed. It hasn't passed and is now worse at 15 weeks than it was before 12 weeks.

I hate taking time off sick anyway but I feel so anxious about this. I know it's par for the course with being pregnant and I feel like I should just be powering through but I really can't. My blood pressure is very low which is probably not helping. Every time I stand up my head spins. I had a cold over Xmas too which has left me with cold sores and mouth ulcers- I'm feeling really rundown.

My manager doesn't have children and when I had a sickness bug with DS2 and called in to say I was being sick but wasn't sure if it was pregnancy sickness or just a bud she advised me to 'get onto my midwife to get me something to nip it in the bud'. I know she'll be insistent on me trying to get medication but I'm not even sure if I'll even be prescribed anything as I'm not losing weight and am managing to keep some things down.

Sorry for the epic moan, I'm just really tired if feeling like crap!

Everythinggettingbigger Sun 03-Jan-16 20:52:13

I would try and get a doctors app in the morning and they may be able to sign you off? If not at least speak to them about the anxiety, it's obviously really worrying you. Hope you are feeling better soon.

GlamourBear Sun 03-Jan-16 20:54:01

It's a real shame you can't give people morning sickness for a few days when they think it's easy to "fix" or power through!

Don't feel guilty about calling in sick....your health and that of your baby are priority. Work just isn't important. It took me a while for this to sink in, its hard when work has always been the most important thing in your life and all of a sudden there is something (well someone!) so much more important. My manager said to me that even though they'd much prefer me to be there than not, they get on just fine when I'm not there - it's just work at the end of the day. I am lucky though as I have a great manager who practically marches me out of the building when I've been unwell due to pregnancy related tiredness and sickness.

Just look after yourself and go back when you feel well enough smile

SpecialStains Sun 03-Jan-16 20:55:49

Hey there Scoop,

Sorry to hear your struggling. I've had to call in sick last week because of pregnancy sickness. I didn't want to either, and also haven't previously taken much sick leave.

My advice, call in sick and go to your gp. It's up to you if you want to take anything, not your manager. Don't feel pressured to start taking anything you don't want, but also keep an open mind if you think anti-emetics will help.

Have you got someone looking after you at home?

Really hope you feel better soon. flowers

Scoopmuckdizzy Sun 03-Jan-16 21:12:30

Thank you. You all make a lot of sense and are saying exactly what I would to anyone else feeling the way I do.

I will try to see my GP. I have been considering it anyway.

I have my DH at home looking after me- he's been fantastic over the past few weeks.

Thanks again for your sensible words!

SpecialStains Sun 03-Jan-16 21:21:11

With the dizziness and low blood pressure, I would definitely see your gp. At risk of asking too much - is your urine normal? Are you drinking enough? Does it smell odd?

Also, the gp probably won't sign you off until you've self certified for a week.

Really hope you feel better soon. flowers

Scoopmuckdizzy Mon 04-Jan-16 08:59:24

I called this morning and manager is fine- she was really lovely actually. I have an appointment to see a dr in a couple of hours.

Specialstains urine is normal. I'm trying to keep drinking even when I can't face food.

Thanks again everyone.

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Jan-16 09:05:04

Also, remember that time off for pregnancy related sickness can not be used to your detriment. It should be recorded, but can't be used against you. This is law!

Salene Mon 04-Jan-16 09:09:48

They can insist on you taking early maternity leave though if your off too much just keep that in mind

Reebok Mon 04-Jan-16 09:51:50

Call in sick. Baby and you come first. I was signed off for over 2 months with hyperemesis, went back for a month and then signed off again with pregnancy related bleeding. They can't sack you as pregnancy protects you. And from what I've read they can only start your maternity leave 4 weeks before you're due if you are sick again at that time.

goldglitter Mon 04-Jan-16 10:29:23

Call in sick and don't worry - work cannot do anything about pregnancy related sickness. They will be in a huge amount of trouble if they did!

I have just returned to work today since being off since October. I am 14 weeks with twins and know exactly how rough you feel. Please be gentle on yourself and get that much needed rest!

Sign yourself off for the first 5 days - my doctor backdated any extra sick leave.

Get well soon!

ValancyJane Mon 04-Jan-16 10:35:26

When I had a lot of time off with morning sickness I had a meeting with my boss about it, and made it clear that my doctor had offered to sign me off with morning sickness (which was true) but that I personally wanted to work the days I felt able to - but was obviously aware my attendance would be very patchy. Work was really understanding after that.

waxweasel Mon 04-Jan-16 10:50:32

Definitely just take the time off sick - even better if the GP signs you off so you can blame it on them IYSWIM. The above poster was right - don't worry about them forcing you to take early maternity leave, as that can only happen after 36 weeks. The GP may be able to prescribe you something even if you're keeping food down (for your benefit, not your manager's!). I had awful nausea but only occasional sickness, and got prescribed metaclopramide which helped. But it also made me feel shattered and zombie-like. I was signed off for 2 months from 12-22 weeks, and am off sick again today at 26 weeks, so don't feel bad!

LaurieLemons Mon 04-Jan-16 10:57:53

Please go to the doctors, I waited until I was 20 weeks and wish I went earlier. I wasn't working at the time but if I was I honestly don't think I would have coped. Some people get mild nausea and some people are hospitalised, you really have nothing to feel bad about!

Leviticus Mon 04-Jan-16 11:25:08

I took several weeks off work with both pregnancies. I had to. I have never felt so ill in my life. I can, and do still hold my head high at work.

WhatKatyDidnt Mon 04-Jan-16 11:28:56

Listen to your body, and don't feel guilty about the time off! It's absolutely the right thing to do.

Shutthatdoor Mon 04-Jan-16 11:33:51

Call in sick and don't worry - work cannot do anything about pregnancy related sickness. They will be in a huge amount of trouble if they did!

Not strictly true. Past a certain point they can make you start your maternity leave.

dementedpixie Mon 04-Jan-16 11:35:15

Salene, that's not actually true unless you are off with pregnancy related sickness in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy which the OP is nowhere near. At that point your employer can start your maternity leave but cannot do it at any point before that.

photographerlady Mon 04-Jan-16 11:52:23

your doctor will most likely give you a sick note, mine told me to take the week off. i was so nauseous it was hard to get out of bed.

Scoopmuckdizzy Mon 04-Jan-16 16:32:01

I've been prescribed cyclizine hydrochloride. I took one at around midday and it knocked me right out. Luckily DS1 was in the mood for a long nap this afternoon so I was able to sleep too.

Since I've woken I'm a bit groggy but so far so good on the nausea and no vomiting.

I'm going to take each day as it comes with work.

Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Whatdoidohelp Mon 04-Jan-16 16:56:07

Glad you got sorted at the GP. Cyclizine is a vey popular anti sickness drug and for some people works brilliantly. Unfortunately being completely zonked is a common side effect as it is a antihistamine Therefore has sedating properties. Don't worry about work. Your pregnant and sick. You are untouchable!

goldglitter Mon 04-Jan-16 16:59:17

I halved and quartered my cyclizine so it didn't knock me out completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now