Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overweight/ Obese and pregnant

(20 Posts)
Izzy82 Sun 03-Jan-16 19:43:50

Ok, so i put on quit a lot of weight after the birth of my first LO. I was slowly but surely losing weight and then fell pregnant (woo woo). It comes with mixed emotions as I am obvioulsy thrilled but am now very concerned about how I will cope as the pregnancy continures. It was hard enough the first time and this time im carrying 2 extra stone. I am still in my first trimester and havnt even had my midwife appointment yet. I know you cant really diet, but does anyone have any advice on how to not put on too much weight? Will I get a lecture from the midwife.
Thanks for the advice

Jellybean100 Sun 03-Jan-16 19:55:12

Actually you can diet. The aim isn't to lose weight but to maintain your weight throughout oregnancy. No fad diets though (meal replacements etc) but you can calorie count and make sure you are eating healthy. Slimming world is promoted by midwives all over the UK and I think in some areas you can be referred for free membership during pregnancy. Xx

Izzy82 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:01:26

Wow, thanks for that. I'll look into it now

Gwlondon Sun 03-Jan-16 20:04:32

Yes to the above. I maintained my weight in one pregnancy and gained maybe 2 kilos in the other pregnancy. I was overweight both times.

bluewisteria Sun 03-Jan-16 21:03:09

Yes slimming world is great, find yourself a supportive local group.

themumfairy Sun 03-Jan-16 22:31:50

Same here. I'm now 36 weeks and have had no problems, I've been very lucky. My midwife weighed me at my booking in appointment and hasn't since. I was referred to a consultant as my bmi was high and I've had to have a glucose tolerance test which came back normal. I've also had to have regular growth scans from 28 weeks to keep an eye on babys weight. So far she's been exactly what she should be. I was so worried before as i didn't want the whole lecture but I needn't of worried. They have said that if they need to monitor babys heart rate in birth at all they will do it using something on her head rather than a tummy belt as I'm guessing it's hard to get an accurate reading through fat blush
My only advice would be to try and avoid Sugary foods and drinks. Also keep active to maintain your current weight.
Sorry if I've rambled on. Good luck

Colabottle10 Sun 03-Jan-16 22:44:23

I'm worried about this too. I was 15st 3lbs 7 weeks ago before I got pregnant and am now 15st 8lbs even though I'm suffering with nausea and nibbling on crackers and eating far far less than before.

I've lost 3st on SW before so I would be interested in seeing if free membership is offered in my area.

LumpySpaceCow Sun 03-Jan-16 22:55:37

Eat healthy and exercise. I am healthier in pregnancy than at any other time! I too am overweight and manage to always weigh at least a stone less after pregnancy by doing this smile

Georgeofthejungle Sun 03-Jan-16 22:58:41

I was around 15.7!when I fell and now I'm pushing 18 stone! I feel like a whale.

Midwife has never batted an eyelid.

Boosiehs Sun 03-Jan-16 23:03:49

Due to lack of appetite and baby squashing stomach, I have lost weight during my pregnancy again.

It's not just giving up he booze.... Erm..... Probably.....

CookieKatie Mon 04-Jan-16 16:46:53

After I had my second appintment with the midwife she gave me a leaflet because of my bmi (showed as overweight) for a pregnancy diet/support group thing. I'm from the UK so it's run by the NHS.
I turned down the service at this point due to the fact I've lost 8 lbs since I fell pregnant (due to a combination healthy cravings and horrible morning sickness). I am entitled to opt in at any point so I will definitely opt in if I notice my weight creep I'll definitely join.

Most comforting was my midwife not only didn't give me a lecture she didn't push me either. I was offered kindly and she didn't push the issue. As someone carrying a few extra pounds I was terrified of going to the midwife and being lectured but so far that's the only time it's been brought up. Hope this helps smile

Noodledoodledoo Mon 04-Jan-16 18:22:17

I had been attending a weight loss club when I got pregnant with no 1. I stayed going and getting weighed and doing the exercise until I was about 7 months and it was the heat that stopped me going as it was July! This meant I managed my weight and it stopped me from falling into the I'm pregnant I am going to eat cake trap!

I got weighed the night before I went in for my induction and 2 weeks later. Within 4 weeks I was back to my starting weight.

This time round I am going to do the same again, have changed the diet this time and just starting slimming world to help keep the weight under control. I know a few peple who have lost weight from beginning to end as they improve their diet as they are pregnant.

I also was consultant led due to weight and age, and had to have GTT test and growth scans.

Paperblank Mon 04-Jan-16 19:04:44

I was 120kg at booking in and am 105kg at 31 weeks.

I did SW in the first trimester and lost a couple of kilos which I was fairly pleased with. The remainder has come off since then and I fully expect to be about 100kg by the time I deliver the baby.

I should point out that I haven't intended to lose so much weight but like a PP I've eaten healthily and well.

The only issue is that none of my pre-pregnacy clothes will fit, they are too big now!

sophied1983 Mon 04-Jan-16 19:22:52

What are your BMI people? Mine is a horrible number sad

Izzy82 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:39:21

Thank you everyone who has replied. I have officially joined Slimming World today and it was very helpful reading everyones comments. smile

Georgeofthejungle Mon 04-Jan-16 20:47:47

I don't know why my BMI is. I'm red pathway care so must be over 35. I prefer not to know! confused

Georgeofthejungle Mon 04-Jan-16 20:50:14

P.s congrats on joining slimming world OP. I was a member previously and it really is a great diet. I'm planning on going back once little babe is here. Meantime I'm trying to make good choices on my own smile

sophied1983 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:06:45

Didn't like hearing mine this morning with GO. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and play netball once a week although that will need to stop as it's a contact sport.

Wish I was slimmer. I worry it will make something go wrong with pregnancy sad

frikadela01 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:09:30

My BMI is 36. Today I was seen by the consultant because of it. She told me all the increased risks and prescribed me aspirin and something for my blood pressure which is high. I will also have extra scans towards the end. I cried when I got out of the appointment, I'm not naive and knew the risks but having her lay them all down for me feel ashamed that I planned to have a baby without losing weight first. Generally a really shit day.

Sorry not helpful I know but i get how crap it is.

sophied1983 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:09:44

*GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now