Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do bumps have to drop before labour?

(17 Posts)
ALR123 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:41:10

I'm 38+4 now and everyone keeps saying I can't be close to labour as my bump hasn't dropped and I'm carrying really high.
Is this true and if so how long before does that tend to happen?
This is a pic of me yesterday (midwife told me last week baby's head was fully engaged... now I'm panicking I'm breach!)

Iammad Sun 03-Jan-16 15:55:37

I really wouldn't listern, your midwife has said baby has engaged and that's a really good sign that things are heading the right way.
I've been told my bumps dropped for weeks but baby is not engaged (nearly 38 weeks)
I really wouldn't of thought your baby would of flipped if it was fully engaged esp if it's your first baby.

Georgeofthejungle Sun 03-Jan-16 15:56:44

I was just reading today that with first pregnancies sometimes the bump doesn't drop until you are in labour!

Heirhelp Sun 03-Jan-16 17:36:59

My friend bump dropped the same day as she went into labour.

prettyflowers111 Sun 03-Jan-16 17:38:17

My bump never seemed to drop with dd! Always quite high up .... If I dropped during labour I was too preoccupied to notice!

Junosmum Sun 03-Jan-16 17:40:58

Mine didn't.

soundsystem Sun 03-Jan-16 17:43:33

The same as prettyflowers, if mine dropped I definitely didn't know about it! If the baby is engaged that's a good sign!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 03-Jan-16 17:46:36

Mine didn't either and I went into labour at 40+2. I never had the preggie lady waddle and was able to run down my local high street on my due date with no problem.

Ignore the nay sayers, all will be good and you'll meet your son or daughter very soon I'm sure ☺️

Fugghetaboutit Sun 03-Jan-16 17:53:12

My friends bumps was very high when she went into labour, I don't think it's true for everyone

VocationalGoat Sun 03-Jan-16 17:54:19

You'll really feel that 'drop' more than you'll see it. All three of mine 'dropped' shortly before labour at 40+ weeks.

VocationalGoat Sun 03-Jan-16 17:55:19

Beautiful bump by the way. smileflowers How are you feeling?

Gunting Sun 03-Jan-16 18:00:33

Nah not true. My bump didn't drop until I went into labour and ds was born 4 hours after.

TreeSparrow Sun 03-Jan-16 19:09:16

I had a midwife appointment the day I went into labour (two hours later, and no sweep or anything) at 39+6 and baby wasn't engaged at all. Didn't notice any "drop".

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 03-Jan-16 19:14:11

Not sure what bump dropping is tbh. Never happened to me. DD was fully engaged at 31 weeks and born at 38. DS never engaged and was born at 36 weeks. Bump was high throughout.

Summerdiamond Sun 03-Jan-16 19:14:33

Mine didn't & I has hospital appt & told I was going to go over
I went I to labour early hours of following morningsmile
Even the experts get it wrong at times!

ALR123 Sun 03-Jan-16 19:47:22

That makes me feel better! This is my sister at 37 weeks when she dropped, she then went into labour 2 weeks later. Mines no where near that low so I was panicking this baby wants to stay in forever :-D

Frusso Sun 03-Jan-16 20:04:33

Mine dropped.. And bounced back up.. A number of times (too much fluid) before I was induced went into labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now