Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will I miscarry

(4 Posts)
Gemma105 Sat 02-Jan-16 08:43:48

Hi I was looking for some advice.. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and had some abdominal cramps so I went for a ultra sound (internal) on New Years Eve.. The midwife found a gestational sac, yolk and 5mm fetal pole but no heartbeat she also told me my gestational sac was abnormal and not to gets my hopes up.. And to return in 2 weeks for another scan.. When I spoke to another midwife at the hospital she assured me that you would not see baby's heartbeat until 7mm.. I've not been able to get hold of my doctor to discuss as they are not working and I'm so confused.. I opened my letter to my doctor which said my pregnancy was non viable but she didn't tell me this.. Help sad

sizethree Sat 02-Jan-16 09:11:42

I'm sorry you've been given confusing advice, it must be a very worrying time.
In the very early stages of pregnancy, sizes can vary a lot, as can the time you see a heartbeat. That's why there's this recommended time frame of two weeks between scans so the medical professionals can determine exactly what is going on.
There will be one of three outcomes. 1) you return for your repeat scan and the pregnancy has continued to develop and proceed as normal. 2) your return scan shows that sadly the orehancg has failed and that you'll be offered ways to manage the miscarriage. 3) between now and the repeat scan you miscarry naturally.
Pregnancy is such a lottery. sadly 1 in 4 end in miscarriage which is a statistic that really shocked me when I suffered my first one.
I'm so sorry you're stuck in this horrible limbo stage, and I suppose the most constructive advice I can offer is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. X

Gemma105 Sat 02-Jan-16 09:54:00

Thank you for your reply, I wish the midwives doing these ultrasounds would spend some time with you and discuss the scan results in full as I've spent new year say up crying all night not been able to get hold of a doctor or midwife to discuss.

The whole situation is bizarre I have no blood and I still feel very pregnant so it's come as a massive shock.

Thank you so much for your advice x

TaliZorah Sat 02-Jan-16 15:32:47

I had a scan at 6 weeks and they saw a sac but nothing else, I was told it was either too early or I was going to miscarry. Started bleeding the next day and convinced myself I was losing the baby.

Had a scan 3 days later and the baby was fine, he's now 4 months old and very healthy

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now