Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant or Miscarriage?

(17 Posts)
FullOfRage Fri 01-Jan-16 23:20:11

Looking for some advice from you wonderful people.

Positive pregnancy test, roughly almost 6? Weeks. Major abdominal cramping to start with but no bleeding. My own GP is completely convinced I'm having a miscarriage enough to advise me to take ibuprofen and sign me off work. The early pregnancy unit however have done 2 emergency internal scans and told me everything looks fine although no heartbeat (but they said it's possibly to early for that anyway!)

I hate questioning my GP, never steered me wrong before but I'm losing my mind here. Who do I believe?

My own gp saw me 2 days after my last scan and nothing had changed or got worse sad

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 01-Jan-16 23:24:35

If you've had no bleeding then I wouldn't take ibuprofen if you have doubts. Why is your gp so convinced it's a mc? Xx

Alice1983 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:26:31

I wouldnt take the Ipobrufen but i would stay off work and give it a few weeks before another scan, at least 2 weeks

Mslg Fri 01-Jan-16 23:27:41

Ditto, wouldn't take the ibuprofen. Take the time off and rest.

bonzo77 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:29:48

In all my (four) pregnancies I had terrible cramping early on. Probably on and off from 4 to 8 weeks. The only one where I miscarried was the one where I also bled.

IssyStark Fri 01-Jan-16 23:30:06

Always assume the pregnancy is viable until you have absolute signs that it is not. Cramping is not in itself a sign (heck even bleeding is not a sign as I well know).

The EPU are the experts in this, your GP isn't. Go with the experts.

I had two mc before my son was born. With him I had cramps around 6 weeks and even had bleeding (old blood not fresh) and the EPU couldn't find a heartbeat. A week later it was there and 8 months later ds1 popped out. Had another 6 losses before ds2, so I know mc quite well!

toadierocks Fri 01-Jan-16 23:48:00

what issy said, the EPU are the experts so trust them more than the GP. A heartbeat would not been seen on a early scan until at least 6 weeks. what are your dates? I'm sure everything is fine with the pregnancy but your worrying will not be helping your mood or your mind, try and relax (as best as possible) is it just the cramping that makes you think you're miscarrying?

Sorry for your losses issy flowers

FullOfRage Fri 01-Jan-16 23:55:06

Thanks for all your replies! I'm not sure why the GP is so convinced, I have no history or other health concerns. She just keeps saying to prepare myself for the worst.

I didn't collect the prescription, didn't want to risk the ibporofren just in case.

Sorry to hear that Issy star

toadierocks Sat 02-Jan-16 00:11:54

Just try and put the worry out of your mind and avoid the GP on this issue - if you have any concerns then call the EPU and speak to them, they're usually very supportive and knowledgeable. If you can tough it out for another week then a heartbeat should be visible - have you thought about booking a private scan for next week? Fingers crossed for you that it all works out for you OP x

FullOfRage Sat 02-Jan-16 00:48:13

I was looking into private scans but I'm worried I would end up booking one every month blush

Thanks for everyone's kind replies, I'm going to give the EPU a ring tomorrow, I'm quite lucky mine is open on a Saturday.

toohardtothinkofaname Sat 02-Jan-16 08:01:22

I had horrible cramps early on around 5-7 weeks, ones so painful I threw up. Due date today, all fine! smile

eurochick Sat 02-Jan-16 09:00:41

I'm pretty puzzled by your GP tbh. The usual process is to treat you as pregnant until confirmed otherwise. As another poster has said, it is the EPU who are the experts here.

How sure are you of your dates? The heartbeat should start around 6 weeks. Do you have another EPU scan?

I've had a miscarriage and a successful pregnancy. I had severe cramping and bleeding in the first tri with both so for me the cramping is meaningless as an indicator of outcome.

FullOfRage Wed 06-Jan-16 19:49:29

Apologies for my late reply. I ended up having severe cramping and bleeding and sort of shut myself off for a few days. Spoke to the EPU yesterday, went in for a scan today to confirm the miscarriage and unbelievably found a heartbeat!! I'm 6wks 4 days and bleeding has now stopped.

Thanks to everyone for your replies flowers

TattieHowkerz Wed 06-Jan-16 19:53:16

Great news thanks

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 06-Jan-16 20:03:11

smile fantastic! Great news xxx

toohardtothinkofaname Wed 06-Jan-16 20:15:51

Yay! Congratulations

eurochick Wed 06-Jan-16 20:26:03

Good news!

Silly GP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now