Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excercise? Watt biking and spinning

(10 Posts)
Melt90 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:14:33

Just looking for some advice I used to go spinning 3 times a week and watt bike and my gym instructors told me to leave it till 12 weeks.my midwife said just go gentle just looking to see if anybody else has done it while pregnant I'm almost 11 weeks now and it's my first so don't want to risk anything to him or her x

Runningupthathill82 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:28:37

Spinning is fine, just don't push yourself as hard as usual. Keep to a level where you're not out of breath and could theoretically still hold a conversation.

LittleMiss77 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:50:34

I was spinning up to 28 weeks when tiredness hit me like nothing id ever experienced!

My instructors told me to take it easy, not have the resistance too high, esp when seated and to not push myself too much

Melt90 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:52:09

Yeah that's what I thought I didn't know wether to get a heart monitor to use that and only get to a certain level there so many bloody things i got given a fit big for Xmas but says shouldn't use it when pregnant I'm getting itchy feet already can't wait to do some excercise again obviously doing walking lol

YeOldeTrout Fri 01-Jan-16 23:05:18

(Old-fashioned 1970s) Heart rate guidelines for pg women are BS, anyway. They were theoretical calculations based on experiments done on male university students so not applicable to real human pg females. Go with how you feel and keep cool & well-hydrated.

Can't use a FitBit? What nonsense is that?

Melt90 Sat 02-Jan-16 08:17:35

It says on some reports not to use because of the infared interference can affect baby I think Iv read so many reviews with it being my first I'm over protective xx

PrincessPunzie Sat 02-Jan-16 12:25:17

I've never heard of a first trimester spinning ban?! Sounds like nonsense to me. I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and have been going strong with spin throughout, I don't push the speed or resistance quite the way I used to but still break a sweat and get a great workout. You'll be fine.

Pinklily1 Sat 02-Jan-16 13:06:28

Melt, I specifically asked my doctor about spinning (amongst other things) and she said it was fine, just to maybe bring it down a notch or two, but otherwise to carry on exercising as normal.

I sweat a lot in classes anyway but I just make sure I drink plenty of water, and go slow for a little bit if I feel too out of breath.

Melt90 Sat 02-Jan-16 22:38:31

Thanks guys il be getting right back on it my midwife didn't really know Lot lol xx

CrispsCrispsCrisps Sun 03-Jan-16 13:00:20

Mel90 I could have posted this myself as I had the same thoughts! I also thought about a heart rate monitor and decided not to bother. I'm now 14 weeks and do spin 1-2 times a week and just don't do the "hovers" when you have to cycle but keep upper body still while crouching low. I felt it caused a bit of discomfort in my lower abdomen. Also, drink loads before and during and after and just don't go as hard as you normally would.

I decided against the monitor because you can tell yourself when you're too out breath or hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now