Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early days, but still worrying myself silly...

(7 Posts)
sophied1983 Fri 01-Jan-16 20:24:36

... couple of reasons. One of my best friends had a mc at 7 weeks.

And my mum lost my little sister to cot death at 11 weeks old.

Anyone else feel like getting pregnant was almost the first hurdle with many more to come?

I am so happy. Has taken us 7 months to get here with horrible post-Pill side effects.

Are you better just being happy and not thinking about what could go wrong, or is preparing yourself for a rainy day the right way? I naturally sit on the side of "something is bound to go wrong". Anyone else like me?

frikadela01 Fri 01-Jan-16 20:50:09

My 2 younger sisters have 2 kids each and my mum had my youngest sister in her 40s... All were trouble free. I'm therfore convinced I'm going to be the exception and everything is going to go wrong. I was physically shaking when I went for my 12 week scan last week as I was convinced there was nothing in there. Thankfully there is but I still stress like you wouldn't believe. I have no advice on how to manage it but will wait eagerly for someone to come along with so. You are not alone.

Missingcaffeine Fri 01-Jan-16 22:05:03

I felt like this in my first pregnancy, right up until the point I was handed my baby by the midwife. My baby is now a toddler and I still pop in most nights to check he is breathing when he is sleeping. I feel so lucky to have my boy.

Personally I think it's best to try and forget you are pregnant as much as possible and try not to overthink things, at least until the first scan. Once you've had that, if everything's okay, statistically it's extremely likely that everything will be just fine. Don't do what I did and convince yourself other ways to the point that you don't prepare or buy essential things! Once our baby arrived, I really could have done without pram shopping etc in the first week!

sparklystars20 Sat 02-Jan-16 10:43:55

Feel very similar sophie. I am an anxious person anyway and have been exploring various techniques in recent years to help reduce my stress/anxiety levels!
I have found some CBT techniques very helpful and most recently I have done a course in Mindfulness which has been brilliant. I'm looking into 'mindfulness for pregnancy' as I feel so blessed to have got pregnant that I want to enjoy it as much as possible rather than be constantly fearful of it which I figure can't be helpful for me or my sesame seed!
Most powerful sentence that resonates with me is 'thoughts are not facts'. Acknowledge the thoughts but don't dwell on them being true until you know otherwise! Much easier said than done!!

princesspineapple Sat 02-Jan-16 12:14:21

For the worrying started straight away after getting a positive test! The 8 weeks between finding out and the scan were torture... Thought it would be easier after that but I was just as nervous leading up to my 20 week scan!
My mum says that parenthood is a lifetime of worrying, you just have to learn which worries are a bit daft, and which are genuine fears, then act accordingly. Of course this is all easier said than done! Good luck flowers

sophied1983 Thu 07-Jan-16 07:11:05

Maybe this is a good way to think about it. If 1 in 5 ends in mc then you should apply 80% of excitement and 20% of caution?

Reebok Thu 07-Jan-16 07:41:05

I'm 24 weeks tomorrow with my second and still worrying...have a history of mc so I don't stop worrying until a healthy baby is born and given to me..and after that a new worry starts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now