Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

vitamin b6

(6 Posts)
rebeccaley26 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:07:02

hi everyone
im first time pregnant I am 8 weeks today and suffering with sickness, im only sick once about half an hour after waking up but feel queasy all day long nothing is helping and I cant cope. I know others are worse off than me but I HATE sickness! ive been reading about vitamin b6 tablets does anyone know if they help? or have taken them? or know how much I can take? thank you for any advice smile

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 03-Jan-16 09:31:49

Hi rebeccaley26 - we're going to pop this over to our Pregnancy topic for you.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Sun 03-Jan-16 09:49:20

giving this bump, 21 weeks and spent most of the pregnancy in hospital with hyperemisis. You name it I've tried it, consultant gave me this B6 to take 3x a day so waiting to see if there's any improvement. Sorry to br no help hopefully someone will be able to answer.

CarrieLouise25 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:11:09

Congratulations smile

B6 is supposed to help nausea, but not vomiting. I took B6 3 times a day, 25mg a time. You can overdose on B6, so don't go over this amount. Takes a few days to get into your system, so don't give up.

I would say it helped. But I also did many other things like eating porridge before bed, eating a banana first thing before I got up (also both high in B its). I suffered very badly with nausea until 20 weeks, day and night, and it got worse as the weeks went on. Just kept going up a notch.

I would give it a try, and I'm sure it helped me. I think I would have been even worse without it. I also had the sickness bands on, slept a lot, kept eating (forcing myself to eat) so my stomach was always full. If my stomach went empty just for a moment, my god I felt so bad.

It's a horrible time, and you need lots of support. You need those around you to understand that pregnancy sickness is evil and debilitating; suggest to anyone who wants to know it's like having the flu all the bloody time!

Good luck with these weeks, they will go, as hard as it seems right now. I kept focussing on the next milestone. Getting to 8 weeks. Getting to 10 weeks (quarter through!), getting to 12 week scan etc etc.

Hope all goes well smile x

lljkk Sun 03-Jan-16 15:23:30

I took B6 for MS and I believe that it took off about 5% of the worst of the MS. 5% was a huge amount. I took way more than the recommended (in pregnancy) limits, though, which I had also done for a previous health condition. I think it was 50-150 (units?)/ day.

All of the other things CarrieLouise listed made me feel much worse, btw, except getting enough sleep was indeed helpful. MS is so individual. I eventually figured out the I become milk intolerant in pregnancy so by pregnancy 4 at least I prevented some puking.

CarrieLouise25 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:32:11

lljkk is absolutely right, you have to find what works for you, so it's worth trying everything. MS is very individual smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now