Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused by Scan - very worried

(12 Posts)
sarahjayne1977 Thu 31-Dec-15 16:44:33

Just had an early scan at 8 weeks, because I had some spotting and had a miscarriage back in August.

The consultant said the sac was only 6 weeks and not 8, so unless I had my dates wrong then it had probably stopped developing and it looked to her like a pregnancy that would miscarry.

I just don't know what to think, as from the date of my last period I would be 8 weeks, but from conception it could be 6. Does anyone know what the scans go by?

Really appreciate any help, as so confused and upset at the thought of another miscarriage.

Georgeofthejungle Thu 31-Dec-15 16:47:35

I'm sorry I don't know the answer but I think it's very unfair of them to leave you so unsure. sad You must be worried sick xxx

sarahjayne1977 Thu 31-Dec-15 16:50:10

Thank you for your reply xx

They have told me to go back in a week for a 2nd scan and they will check again, but I'm just so worried.

HumTiddlyTum Thu 31-Dec-15 16:53:49

They date from your last period. Hard to be entirely accurate at this stage though so try and think positively.

Georgeofthejungle Thu 31-Dec-15 16:56:44

I had spotting at 4 weeks and I'm now 32+1! Doesn't mean anything really.

Good luck xx

MadameJosephine Thu 31-Dec-15 16:57:02

Dates on scan would generally be expected to agree with last menstrual period but that's only if we all had 28 day cycles and ovulated on exactly day 14 which is not the case so just because the dates don't agree doesn't necessarily mean the pregnancy won't continue. Did they not book a second rescan to be sure? In our unit we would class this as a 'pregnancy of uncertain viability' and book a rescan in 10-14 days to see if the pregnancy has progressed

MadameJosephine Thu 31-Dec-15 16:58:29

Sorry cross posted, I see you have got a rescan booked. Best of luck with it, I know it seems an eternity to wait and hope it goes well for you

Duckdeamon Thu 31-Dec-15 17:00:17

They just can't give certain info until your scan next week - know it's really hard to wait. Given the consultant's opinion probably sensible to prepare for sad news sad

Girlwithnoname1 Thu 31-Dec-15 21:58:03

I had this happen in my first pregnancy, had 3 weeks of worry waiting for repeat scan.... All was fine.
Hope this is the case for you too cxx

sarahjayne1977 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:01:29

Went for my follow up scan today and now even more confused. The lady that scanned me today said that in the last scan they couldn't see the baby, only an empty sac, which only measured 6 weeks, where my dates said I should be 8 weeks.

Well today they scanned me and said that this time they could see the baby, but it was measuring at 5weeks 4 days. They said it didn't have a heart beat but they wouldn't expect to see it yet. They said the sac was still measuring 6 weeks.

I now have to wait another week as they said there has been development from the last scan and they wouldn't want to start anything in case it was a viable pregnancy.

Just so confused and worried about it.

SnackPlease Thu 07-Jan-16 21:04:32

I've been in almost exactly the same situation as you. My follow up scan showed growth / progress but not as much as should be expected. For me it did not end well (sadly) but there are lots of women out there who have had happy endings in this kind of situation. Early pregnancy is very hard to measure or assess with an ultrasound.

Were they internal scans?

HappyInL0nd0n Thu 07-Jan-16 23:06:32

No advice, just sorry to hear you're going through this. It must be a difficult time for you. I hope you get good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now