Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused by hospital bag size

(18 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Wed 30-Dec-15 19:53:28

So it's early days as I'm only 26+3 but I had a trial run with hospital bags trying to think what I might need and if I need a different bag. Anyway this is what I had to hand to put in.
4 up to 10lb vests
3 up to 10lb sleep suits
1 tiny baby vest and sleep suit
Cotton hat
Socks and scratch mitts
Fleecy all in one
Blanket
Pack of maternity towels
Pack of nappies
Paracetamol
Thin dressing gown
2 0-3 month sleep suits
3 0-3 month vests
3 Muslin squares
Anyway all this nearly fills the baby changing bag and a small cabin bag size hold-all so I'm wondering whether I'm going to be overdoing it taking all these things especially considering I still need to add some bits? I'll feel a bit stupid turning up with a suitcase lol. What's the minimum I could get away with taking?

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 30-Dec-15 20:00:19

I would get rid of the 0-3 clothes as you have enough and the paracetamol as the midwives will give you pain relief. If you're in for a few days then your partner can bring you more stuff. You don't need a blanket for baby as the hospital will have one but I know some people like to take their own, I never did. It was so hot on the post natal ward.

How big is your pack of nappies? Have you got pj's or a nightie? What about knickers? And slippers or flip flops. Have you got clothes for you? I would take two packs of pads, I bled a lot and had to change myself frequently. And don't forget snacks and a drink.

Junosmum Wed 30-Dec-15 20:01:32

Mine looks like I'm going away for a week, and I only have enough in for 2 days for both of us, and a second bag for DH to bring in should we be in for longer.

The NCT coordinator suggested splitting it in to things for labour/ immediately after birth (e.g. one pair of knicks, one vest & sleepsuit and hat, 2 nappies, pyjamas/ nightie and drinks and snacks and entertainment) and then a bag for baby and a bag for you that DH could leave in the car until you need it, that way you aren't fishing aorund in a big bag for something you need NOW.

NickNacks Wed 30-Dec-15 20:03:48

Yes get rid of the 0-3 month clothes- how long are you planning on staying in? grin

Ds1 was over 10lb and still fitted (just) in to newborn clothes.

Heavenscent86 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:04:41

Hi I've got a trial pack of 4 nappies and thought I might stick a full pack in the car just in case. I plan to buy myself a cheap nightie and black underwear. Not sure yet exactly what I would wear home as I only really have maternity jeans and I don't know if I would be comfortable enough in them. I'll definitely get more pads then.

Heavenscent86 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:06:18

I only want to stay in for a few hours but with my daughter I had a bit of a rough time and they wanted to keep me in for a couple of days lol so I guess I'm thinking what if that happens again.

AuntieMaggie Wed 30-Dec-15 20:11:30

I did what Junosmum suggested... one for birth/straight after (but more knickers... I went through 5 pairs in labour...) one for baby and one for you but I would also get DH to sort himself out a bag (change of clothes esp top if doing skin to skin and toiletries in case it's a long one and snacks/tablet/camera/entertainment) and I would sort out an extra bag for you incase you unexpectedly end up in hospital before so your DH can just grab the bag and you don't end up with a load of useless stuff if he packs for you... (voice of experience... thanks for the monkey ear muffs in June and 2 size too small PJs DP angry) This could easily be some of your stuff for after birth like PJs/nightie etc if you put maternity pads etc in a separate toiletry bag that you can remove if needed.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:05:23

I'm taking a suitcase on wheels (my stuff), a holdall (for baby) and another holdall with extra clothes / pads / nappies to stay in the car in case I have an EMCS.

Heavenscent86 Thu 31-Dec-15 09:31:16

Hi thanks for the replies. I think I can narrow it down. I only want to take the minimum. If I have to stay in other people can bring bits in for me and baby I'm sure. I really don't want to turn up with a massive bag grin

Grizzer Thu 31-Dec-15 09:38:34

I'm in hospital now having given birth yesterday. Already ds has pooped on 2 vests & I have bled on my pyjamas so dh is bringing in new supplies. You do need quite a bit of stuff & I definitely under packed. No baby blanket or towels supplied here either.
You might need more than one pack of maternity pads, it depends how it works out. I came in for induction but labour started naturally, I got through almost a pack with waters coming through the night. Now on second pack for bleeding.
Very impressed with your organisation. Baby came at 38 weeks & I hadn't packed a thing!! I blame the Christmas chaos grin

Heavenscent86 Thu 31-Dec-15 10:15:24

Thanks grizzer. I'm only having a trial run so I know what I need to buy. Probably won't get an actual bag packed until I'm in labour haha.

Trace38 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:35:21

More maternity pads, m nice fluffy socks (my feet got cold) and flip flops for the shower.

If you haven't already, definitely get a couple more packs of maternity towels to have at home to save going out for them.

frangipani13 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:48:08

If your OH is anything like mine he may not know where eveything is and bring in the wrong things so pack and extra bag and keep in the boot. My baby is/was a puker so we went through a lot of babygros. You will probably need a whole pack of Nappies but size 1's don't take up much space. Wipes or cotton wool, 2x packs of soft pads, shower gel, flip flops, snacks, water bottle, little hat or cardie for going home

ammature Thu 31-Dec-15 11:48:16

Auntiemaggie how did you go through 5 pairs of knickers in labour? Why were you wearing them? Sorry if I'm being stupid.

HoggleHoggle Thu 31-Dec-15 12:14:20

I also didn't pack much...had stern talking to on hospital visit about not bringing a massive bag - took them at their word but when I arrived the midwife couldn't believe I only had one bag hmm. In any case I luckily had enough, but here are my tips:

At least 3 vests and sleep suits (newborn only)
Toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, soap (I felt a whole lot better after having a damn good shower)
Flip flops so your feet don't have to touch the frankly minging shower floor
2 packs of maternity pads
At least 10 nappies. Ds didn't stop pooing while in hospital, we went through nappies very quickly
Dark towel
Snacks and drinks
Phone charger
Book in case you can't sleep - I'd been in labour for 20 hours and awake for over 48 hours but due to the noise of the ward, just couldn't sleep
Big pants so you can feel all 'held in' with your pad
Couple of pjs/night dresses

Heavenscent86 Thu 31-Dec-15 18:06:33

Right what I think I will do is pack one smallish bag of the bare essentials based on giving birth and coming out the same day and then pack a larger bag based on a longer stay which can either stay at home and be picked up later or come with us and live in the car while we are at the hospital. Hopefully that way we will be sorted for whatever happens.

Artandco Thu 31-Dec-15 18:15:56

You won't need:

- socks for baby ( sleepsuit a for newborn should include feet)
- 0-3 size clothing. Most babies even large at birth will fit into newborn at least the few days in hospital if needed

Take more nappies and pads

I took x3 of most things as a rule so baby vests and sleepsuits, 3 changes of clothes for me etc.

I was in and out quick, but those first few weeks mine went through 10-12 nappies every day. So I would take a small pack of 20+ to allow for 2+ days without needed to get more.

All my and babies stuff fitted in just a small hold-all and my handbag ( for valuables of things like lip balm!)

bebo100 Thu 31-Dec-15 19:20:17

I'd also include:
Baby wipes or cotton wool
Going home outfit for you
Snacks and drinks
Sponge bag / toiletries for you
Couple of bibs
Pre-sterilised formula bottles (just in case baby is tongue tied)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now