Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calcium supplements?

(10 Posts)
strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 11:09:33

I've asked my gp and midwife but neither know. Pregnacare doesn't contain calcium - does anyone take any pregnancy supplements that contain calcium? And does anyone know of any breastfeeding supplements that contain it? Any info would be much appreciated!

LBOCS2 Tue 29-Dec-15 11:11:09

Some of the own brand ones do contain it but only low levels (nowhere near RDA). I take a separate supplement; I'm lactose intolerant so I have low levels of calcium anyway and would rather not have osteoporosis in later life!

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 12:23:46

Ah that's good to know. Which calcium supplement do you take?

VegetablEsoup Tue 29-Dec-15 12:26:41

not usually necessary if you eat a balanced diet with pre-digested dairy (yoghurt/cheese) and green leafy veg.

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 15:31:38

Before pregnancy I was told by a rheumatologist to take calcium supplements due to bone problems so I'm guessing that's still the case... but I don't know and I don't know which ones are safe in pregnancy. My physio said she was forbidden to take them in pregnancy but couldn't remember why - this got me a bit worried.

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 15:37:06

I am on prescription Vitamin D & Calcium (calcichew) as I am on steroids for this pregnancy and have none damage from RA. Maybe speak to your GP about this.

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 15:37:40

Bone not none

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 16:01:31

Thanks. I asked my gp today - she told me to ask my midwife. My midwife previously told me she didn't know. I'll try again.

TheBubGrower Fri 01-Jan-16 22:55:31

I drink calcium fortified orange juice as well as making sure I get enough milk and yoghurt etc. I think I remember reading in "what to expect" that you need 3-4 portions of calcium a day in pregnancy. I wondered about supplements the same as you but it seems quite easy to do this through diet if you plan for it

sparklystars20 Sat 02-Jan-16 10:34:14

I am severely dairy intolerant so I asked GP & pharmacists about taking extra calcium in pregnancy.
Pharmacist recommended calcium supplement with Vit D and although there is vit d in the pregnancy supplement I take GP confirmed it was fine to take as well as your body will naturally get rid of any extra vit d it doesn't need smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now