Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Calcium supplements?

(10 Posts)
strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 11:09:33

I've asked my gp and midwife but neither know. Pregnacare doesn't contain calcium - does anyone take any pregnancy supplements that contain calcium? And does anyone know of any breastfeeding supplements that contain it? Any info would be much appreciated!

LBOCS2 Tue 29-Dec-15 11:11:09

Some of the own brand ones do contain it but only low levels (nowhere near RDA). I take a separate supplement; I'm lactose intolerant so I have low levels of calcium anyway and would rather not have osteoporosis in later life!

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 12:23:46

Ah that's good to know. Which calcium supplement do you take?

VegetablEsoup Tue 29-Dec-15 12:26:41

not usually necessary if you eat a balanced diet with pre-digested dairy (yoghurt/cheese) and green leafy veg.

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 15:31:38

Before pregnancy I was told by a rheumatologist to take calcium supplements due to bone problems so I'm guessing that's still the case... but I don't know and I don't know which ones are safe in pregnancy. My physio said she was forbidden to take them in pregnancy but couldn't remember why - this got me a bit worried.

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 15:37:06

I am on prescription Vitamin D & Calcium (calcichew) as I am on steroids for this pregnancy and have none damage from RA. Maybe speak to your GP about this.

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 15:37:40

Bone not none

strangerjo Tue 29-Dec-15 16:01:31

Thanks. I asked my gp today - she told me to ask my midwife. My midwife previously told me she didn't know. I'll try again.

TheBubGrower Fri 01-Jan-16 22:55:31

I drink calcium fortified orange juice as well as making sure I get enough milk and yoghurt etc. I think I remember reading in "what to expect" that you need 3-4 portions of calcium a day in pregnancy. I wondered about supplements the same as you but it seems quite easy to do this through diet if you plan for it

sparklystars20 Sat 02-Jan-16 10:34:14

I am severely dairy intolerant so I asked GP & pharmacists about taking extra calcium in pregnancy.
Pharmacist recommended calcium supplement with Vit D and although there is vit d in the pregnancy supplement I take GP confirmed it was fine to take as well as your body will naturally get rid of any extra vit d it doesn't need smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: