Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waterproof Mattress Cover?

(16 Posts)
Kpo58 Mon 28-Dec-15 21:42:54

Did anyone buy a Waterproof Mattress encase their waters broke/unexpected labor when in bed and did it work?

JaneHair Mon 28-Dec-15 21:46:15

No i didnt. And when my waters broke in bed one night, i really wish i had!

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Mon 28-Dec-15 21:50:44

Not for my first pregnancy but did for my second as, whilst my waters didn't break in bed with my first, I had really bad water retention & on about night three after DD was born I just sweated loads and deflated. The bedding was sodden! I then found my boobs leaked a lot. I was really glad I did get one as DC2 had reflux and often vomited across the bed.
I got ours from Dunelm. It didn't rustle or anything.

blamethecat Mon 28-Dec-15 21:52:52

I got some of the disposable cot/kids bed ones and positioned a couple over the critical area. Also stuck one on the car seat when we left for hospital.

LucyMouse Mon 28-Dec-15 21:54:49

I had a few of those pregnancy mats spread out across the mattress, and one on my car seat. No idea if they would have been adequate, ended up having my waters broken by a MW in hospital.

Mummageddon Mon 28-Dec-15 22:02:19

I have because my waters went everywhere at 35 weeks in first pg and I'm paranoid this time!

VegetablEsoup Mon 28-Dec-15 22:03:53

yes.
and it came in very handy afterwards as well with leaky boobs and toilet training etc.

butterfly86 Mon 28-Dec-15 22:05:22

I just got some bed mats and put one under the sheet on my side, my waters didn't break in the bed so I have no idea if they're any good!

TheBestChocolateIsFree Mon 28-Dec-15 22:09:11

You could get disposable Huggies mats, but it might be worth investing in a Hippychick waterproof sheet. They're brilliant, comfortable, breathable and indestructible and will still be going strong when even the latest toilet trained child stops needing them.

DrWhooves Mon 28-Dec-15 22:11:34

I got one, my waters didn't break in bed so I took it off when I got home from hospital, didn't breastfeed so no leaky boobs to worry about. I really wished I'd left it on a bit longer when that first post birth period came with a vengeance though.

VegetablEsoup Mon 28-Dec-15 22:14:03

the disposable bedmats are way too small for a proper gush

BeeMyBaby Mon 28-Dec-15 22:17:15

I've bought one for each of mine (about to have DC3) but my waters have never broken in bed, however it has also been excellent for saving the mattress from the little bit of sick up babies do, and meant boobs as others have said. As its only about £12 on Amazon for a silent night one it's well worth it.

oneangrydwarf Tue 29-Dec-15 05:44:58

Yes, bought first one for exactly this reason. Waters didn't break in bed but a friend's did and they had to chuck the mattress. Like the others above said I would strongly recommend getting one for every bed in the house to get you through the feeding/sicky/leaky nappy years. We have the ikea ones in various sized beds and you wouldn't know they are there.

Pannacott Tue 29-Dec-15 07:02:04

We had one anyway - they are good for stopping the mattress absorb sweat and dead skin, prevents bed bugs and preserves the mattress. And stops worries about leaky boobs, baby sick, periods etc. £35 ish from John Lewis, doesn't rustle. Exciting to have a new baby! smile

Iammad Tue 29-Dec-15 07:23:11

Mine went in bed with my first at 35 weeks, problem I have is now that I don't sleep inside the covers always on top!
I'm 37 weeks.so anytime now really as well.

prettyflowers111 Tue 29-Dec-15 08:51:07

With my last pregnancy I bought a new mattress at 37 weeks, so I bought a protector from ikea for about £5 because it would only be me to ruin a brand new mattress! That was 3 years ago and it's still on our bed under the fitted sheet. Has saved the day plenty of times from milky sick, toddler drink spills and general ick. But make sure to get a non russley one... ours is sort of rubberised rather than crinkly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now